• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

winter project horse

Help Support Ranchers.net:

caljane

Reaction score
Calves are sold, cows are pregchecked, yearlings are shipped, and all livestock waits in their winter pastures for the first snow. This is usually the time when I take a couple of weanlings home and halter train them, however, this year I got me a 2year old instead. He grew up as a pasture ornament on about 4 acres with mom and aunt, has barely been handled except that he "kind of" leads, but can not be touched anywhere except head and neck, just about (great feet for never been trimmed!).
Here are pictures of the day (next day) after I picked him up and took him home:

no-name-yawn-nov12.jpg

no-name-mane-entangelt-nov12.jpg

no-name-tarp-nov12.jpg

no-name-tarp-on-nov12.jpg

Now guess his breed ...

From the pics he is already learning some cool tricks! He yawns on command, packs his own mane detangler, stands on a tarp when he pees and puts on his own saddle blanket. :shock: :D :D :D

Hope it is a fun and rewarding undertaking for ya. :D

leanin' H said:
From the pics he is already learning some cool tricks! He yawns on command, packs his own mane detangler, stands on a tarp when he pees and puts on his own saddle blanket. :shock: :D :D :D
As a matter of fact - I couldn't have been more surprised but that comes pretty close to what's happening.
I wasn't very excited about his breeding and the way he was raised and expected a hot lunatic - turns out he has some temperament but takes everything new in a stride.
No Mustang - I have too many prejudices against mustangs ... hear who is talking ... he is considered even worse in the ranch world, at least out here where I live. His sire is a purebred Arabian, the dam a speed bred (Easy Jet) Paint mare. Bite me ... :wink:
Lot's of fun to work with, no regrets here and I am looking forward to see how he will do under saddle, but I hadn't planned on riding him his year, once winter really hits it gets too slippery for me to feel comfortable on a green horse. But then I'm a sissy :)

no-name-roundpen-nov12.jpg

This morning. 20° and moving in snow storm is no reason to miss class, but I lack the ambition to really move on. My fingers are frozen.

Faster horses said:
Sounds like a good plan, but be mighty careful. Those Arabian crossbreds
can be really, really intelligent. :D

... and I dare say that this is one of the reasons why cowboys don't like them. They don't respond to the old ways of breaking a ranch horse very well, thus get high strung and difficult to manage. Not saying that they would substitute a good Quarter Horse or Paint for ranching, but they sure have an even worse reputation around here than Appaloosas or Morgans. For the record: my saddle horses are a Quarter and a Paint, and I like it this way. The last Half Arabian I had went on to become an endurance horse, but he was very easy to work with too, moving cattle on his second outside ride. Even too lazy for endurance in my opinion, but then they seem to like them laid back. Will be interesting to see how this guy here will turn out, he sure had me impressed so far!

You have a diamond in the rough.......I have rode lots pf arab/crosses and you will love him.. I hope he has some size. If so the possibiliies are endless.. Plus some color..... Enjoy.....Keep us updated. You are one lucky girly.....Most have a heart as big as Texas, Don;t know quit and are a life time friend..... Some of the best I rode were thourobred cross...big and smart.. If you are going to get in trouble those are the kind to be aboard....

Latest posts