• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Digging Peanuts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
That's pretty cool, I had no idea how they dug them,I guess it would in a way be similar to potatoes and beet but they aren't grown round here either.

After digging, they let the plants, roots, and nuts sun dry a few days then run a machine over them to separate the nuts out. Sometimes they'll bale up the plant residue for cattle hay. Good feed but expensive. Peanuts really rape the soil of phosphate & potash.

Wild hogs are terribly bad on a peanut field. Almost impossible to get the field level again...........

Cotton and peanuts will soon be a thing of the past around here.

What is being planted in the acres formerly in peanuts? Sometimes, it is a matter of other crops being more profitable than the current ones....or as happened with tobacco, and is building for sugar, either 'manipulators' of government (sometimes both the same) telling consumers the product isn't good for us so either consumption drops or regulations make it difficult and/or just less profitable to raise.

And, there is no denying we are in a world market with new winners and losers, whether equitable or not.

mrj

Trees & chicken houses. The gubmit pays for the tree planting to take the land out of farming and to keep the commodity prices up.

Just about every rancher has a chicken house or two. The houses only cost about 1/2 a $million.

Mike said:
Trees & chicken houses. The gubmit pays for the tree planting to take the land out of farming and to keep the commodity prices up.

Just about every rancher has a chicken house or two. The houses only cost about 1/2 a $million.

That is interesting, Mike! Here in SD, especially the western side, planting trees is encouraged, and I suppose there is some govt payment but don't believe it is much more than possibly part of cost of planting. Main purpose is to stop the wind from blowing all our topsoil away like it did in the 'dirty '30s. Maybe the major reason is for wildlife habitat.

What do people do with those trees to make an income, or do the chicken houses provide that? An uncle of mine who lived in MS planted some land into mostly pine trees many years ago. When his daughter tried to manage it to thin the trees, she found the pulp wood harvesters very difficult to deal with when they refused to clean up the mess they made in taking the wood they wanted. Not sure what the family is doing with it now. They all had other jobs, and used the land mostly as recreational, and a place of religious retreat, then the parents used it as their final retirement home. Not sure how the current generation uses it, probably about the same as the parents. It was interesting as the kids and their friends did most of the building with their dad supervising and helping. Great 'relaxation' for the hard working doctor and valuable life lessons in work for his Boy Scouts over many years.

mrj

Latest posts