• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How do I get into your shoes(boots)?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

james.dyer

Reaction score
I am a young man that separated from the U.S. Navy several years ago. Since then I have spent my time caring for the sick and injured as a 911 paramedic in Houston, Texas. My dream since childhood has always been to be a rancher. Unfortunately, I have next to zero reference and guidance on how to get there. I work as a "hand" on my uncle's ranch from time to time. I first started as a very young boy, doing simple chores for the sheer satisfaction of being on the property. Since then, I have graduated to working a tractor for 14 hours a day, 4-6 days in a row, once a year during haying. My uncle has around 300 head on about 1,800 acres. Sounds like a perfect resource, but knowing old ranchers like y'all do, he continuously just tells me that it is not something I want to do and to get over it.... I love the man to death, but he is wrong....

I am hoping that somebody on this forum can help point me in the right direction. My time in the military taught me hard work, dedication, selflessness, loyalty, and perseverance, all qualities I would bring to anybody willing to help me out. I live near Houston, have a wife and kids, so unfortunately I can not pack up and head out full time on a ranch somewhere and learn the trade properly. But, if there are any ranchers near Houston that would be wiling to show me a few things, I would be forever grateful. If not, a few words of advise are always appreciated. In return, I have hunted wild hogs professionally, and am quite skilled at predator control, so in return for advice or knowledge, I can help you with your coyotes and hogs, both of which can be more than a headache.... If this is the wrong spot on this forum for such a topic, or if it is against some sort of rule, I apologize. Thank you.

If you were near me, I'd take a chance. Responsible military person with a family is a good bet in my book. Thanks for your service and good luck.

PPRM said:
If you were near me, I'd take a chance. Responsible military person with a family is a good bet in my book. Thanks for your service and good luck.

I would not disappoint. Oregon has always been my end goal location. If I won the lottery today, i'd be there tomorrow. I have never been though. Is it favorable to the lifestyle? Thanks a ton

james.dyer said:
PPRM said:

I would not disappoint. Oregon has always been my end goal location. If I won the lottery today, i'd be there tomorrow. I have never been though. Is it favorable to the lifestyle? Thanks a ton

There's like "7 Oregon's" climatically. It is very conducive to a variety of agricultural lifestyles.

There's high desert arid and high mountain areas as well as the high rainfall Willamette Valley and coast.

You can make a good life anywhere with the right attitude is my philosophy. Your circumstances don't define more than you let them. I say all of that in that never underestimate the importance of family.

Buetler & Son Rodeo Company out of Elk City, OK was just advertising for a man just a few days ago.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but not that far from it, either.

They are currently in Burwell, Nebraska.

http://www.beutlerandsonrodeo.com/main_page.html

Is this what you are referring to? It is in OK. so it might not be the same one. I did not see any job postings, but I emailed them. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure after rolling this around a bit that I saw their "ad for a man", as it were, on their Facebook page. Might give that a look.

Latest posts