• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Farm Junk

Help Support Ranchers.net:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
A subject not too many folks talk about - maybe ashamed and I was just wondering what you do with yours. Keep in mind we have no garbage pick up, the ranch is a little bit remote (not like some of your spreads) and you can't bury it - at least not according to the EPA. Last year my wife wanted the scrap pile picked up. I said OK, what do you want me to do with it? She says she'll find somebody to haul it off for the scrap iron. Great! Been there, done that. As soon as the scrap men got there they wanted to load the two old, junk cars. OK, but I told them they were not getting the heavy stuff and leaving me with all the other junk. They promised! Next day they picked up an old PZ mower and a PTO side delivery hay rake, no "light stuff". Long story short they worked for a week and then never came back. You guessed it, still have a pile of barbed wire, tin roofing material, nuts, bolts and probably 20,000 lbs of other junk left. This was a huge pile of scrap. Been collecting it for three generations in the same spot. Oh yes, I forgot to mention. I let them load with one of my tractors with a FEL. Cost me $600 for two front tires before it was all over with and still not done. :mad:

I do have a hole I burn in. I pile all metal scrap and every few years load it all on the trailer and hual to scrap yard. Usually a decent payday. My oldest hauled junk in highschool to buy a truck . He made good money and had more than he could get done once word got out he would do it right

We have a ravine where rubbish was dumped for many decades. A few years back it caught on fire, maybe from some glass and the "magnifying glass" effect, don't know. It burned for days, one way to get rid of it.

Also, an outfit with trucks and a loader stopped by and wanted to buy iron. Got rid of a lot of junk equipment, etc., that way, but they skipped out without paying.

Latest posts