Hey, Soap!

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Hey, Soap!

Post by loomixguy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:05 pm

Hey, Soap!

I wanted to pass this tidbit along to you, but the Facebook crowd can get their panties in a wad quite easily, and I thought the audience here might be a tad more sympathetic.

I got a flyer in the mail today from a local land broker, which isn't uncommon. I'm not looking for anymore projects, but curiosity killed the cat, so I always look to see what, where, who, & how much.

Typical dryland quarter section with acres in wheat, corn, & beans....but also a lease payment on a wind generator located ON THE PROPERTY. That got my attention, so I whipped my glasses off to get a better look (I know, the opposite of everyone else).

According to the broker, the YEARLY payment for having the monstrosity on the property is $795 and change. That's right, less than $800 a year! Not even $100 a month to have to look at, hear, and farm around that thing. Plus, there are like 40 others close by, most within sight of each other. This is in north Central Webster county, Nebraska.

I have no idea what other landowners in the area are receiving, but my guess is similar. As far as other parts of the state or country, I have no idea. I feel like King Midas getting $500/month for that cell phone tower on that one place of mine now. The juice definitely isn't worth the squeeze in this case.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what I discovered. Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving. Might have to stop in more often.
loomixguy

Arguing with a Kansas State fan is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to s*** on the chessboard and strut around like it won anyway.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hey, Soap!

Post by Soapweed » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks, loomixguy. That does seem like a measly paltry sum for putting up with a wind turbine. There are a multitude of reasons why not to put up with those things, but hardly any reason to want one. Maybe I'm just getting grouchy in my old age. Cherry County seems to be a day late and a dollar short. Just when the rest of the world is realizing they are not green or efficient or beautiful or anything else of a positive nature, Cherry County jumps on the end-gate of the departing band wagon, to get covered in dust. About par for the course!

loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by loomixguy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:13 pm

When I head to Louisiana, it's hard not to notice the seemingly thousands of them along I-35 in southern Kansas, northern Oklahoma, and then in the beautiful Arbuckle Mountains in southern Oklahoma. All I do is just shake my head. Last trip back here, just a couple weeks ago, most all of the turbines in extreme northern Oklahoma and in southern Kansas were SHUT DOWN! And it was plenty windy that day. Go figure.

No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to s*** on the chessboard and strut around like it won anyway.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Had a in meeting town this week (which I missed) about a wind farm in our locale.

Shutting down a near by coal plant.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Soapweed » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:40 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:28 pm
Had a in meeting town this week (which I missed) about a wind farm in our locale.

Shutting down a near by coal plant.
Sign of the stupid times.

loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by loomixguy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:08 am

Just saw a story on Fakebook that claimed that electric cars lose a considerable amount of range in cold weather. Gee, really?

Whether they like it, or whether they don't like it, they will never be able to get away from fossil fuels to generate power or for transportation.

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jodywy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 pm

don't own the minerals but get a better payment on two pump jack on the edge of my property.... well it helps cover Christmas
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)