How to not get the yearlings checked

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Haytrucker

How to not get the yearlings checked

Post by Haytrucker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:33 pm

Can you switch that pivot back and take a bad tie-rod end off that rake tractor? I didn't think that was the whole trouble, and, yep. Started out with 3 fresh rake wheels, and all the teeth we had. The rake is almost right, just needs a fresh tire. Tie rod end wound up switching an axle leg, cleaning and repacking bearings, and finding a 6 hole rim with tire to fit. Done by 7:30 MST. Yearlings are a 4 hour check, guess I know where tomorrow starts. At least it's dry enough to hay..

Texan
Rancher
Rancher

Re: How to not get the yearlings checked

Post by Texan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:10 am

LOL - seems like I have more days like that the older I get. Every day, we vow to try not to tear anything up for the day, but it doesn't seem to help. I really get tired of working on greasy mechanic stuff this time of year, and you make a great point that many of us experience - our cattle get neglected this time of year because we're too busy doing stuff to help get them through the winter.

Spanish Johhny

Post by Spanish Johhny » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:21 am

ya, if I need to change a light bulb in the house, I like to allow myself at least 4 hours.....

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:21 pm

Spanish Johhny wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:21 am
ya, if I need to change a light bulb in the house, I like to allow myself at least 4 hours.....
You are a wise man. Then if it takes less than 4 hours, you are happy. :D
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:06 pm

Haying seems to take over my world right now, it's been going good so cows get moved this weekend.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Haytrucker

Post by Haytrucker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:08 am

We are actually caught up on baling and one set of yearlings left this past week. Two more groups go this coming week, along with third cutting just starting and some oat straw to bale. Busy times, with no rain related time off. May be some of the best quality hay I have ever helped harvest, except the CRP we just finished. It will find a use I am sure, as dry land hay is very short in this area.