• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

$10 per pound

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Swede

Reaction score
My cousin sold a couple baby calves Monday. His 60 pound heifer calf brought $600! :shock: I knew I should be calving in the winter! :wink: :lol:

Ya gotta have them $2600 heifers raise something!! I'm kinda surprised you haven't bred some of your old cull cow, to calve about now. You could really add value to them.

Big Swede said:
My cousin sold a couple baby calves Monday. His 60 pound heifer calf brought $600! :shock: I knew I should be calving in the winter! :wink: :lol:

We been trying to tell ya for years!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
A buddy of mine from Idaho said he was offered a contract on his 650 weight calves this fall for $1.90 :shock: Don't know how long cattle prices will shine like this but sure fun right now. :D

leanin' H said:
Big Swede said:

A buddy of mine from Idaho said he was offered a contract on his 650 weight calves this fall for $1.90 :shock:

offered, so he's holding out for more?

Justin said:
leanin' H said:
Big Swede said:

A buddy of mine from Idaho said he was offered a contract on his 650 weight calves this fall for $1.90 :shock:

offered, so he's holding out for more?

We didnt discuss it any further and i didnt want to pry. If he is holding out for more he needs a drug test. :shock: :D

I have been hearing talk of 650 weight calves over two dollars this fall but I think personally I would have took the contract. The proverbial bird in hand!

cowboyup said:
I have been hearing talk of 650 weight calves over two dollars this fall but I think personally I would have took the contract. The proverbial bird in hand!

No doubt.

You can get Livestock Risk Protection insurance for 600 lb. steer for September at $196 for just a $0.03 premium right now. It's just a floor and you can still go higher in the cash market. Believe I'll be doing that but have to wait until the calves are all on the ground. Might not be as high in a 3 weeks when the calves are all born.

High Plains said:
You can get Livestock Risk Protection insurance for 600 lb. steer for September at $196 for just a $0.03 premium right now. It's just a floor and you can still go higher in the cash market. Believe I'll be doing that but have to wait until the calves are all on the ground. Might not be as high in a 3 weeks when the calves are all born.

You could just bypass the middle man and do it yourself with a put option or combination of a contract and call option. And you don't have to wait for them to be on the ground.

eatbeef said:
High Plains said:

You could just bypass the middle man and do it yourself with a put option or combination of a contract and call option. And you don't have to wait for them to be on the ground.

That's an excellent point. However, my own personal calf crop isn't big enough to justify a full futures contract (50,000#) so the option would be extremely expensive insurance unless it happened to cash out in my favor. :D Glad you brought it up though.

High Plains said:
eatbeef said:
High Plains said:

That's an excellent point. However, my own personal calf crop isn't big enough to justify a full futures contract (50,000#) so the option would be extremely expensive insurance unless it happened to cash out in my favor. :D Glad you brought it up though.

Is that for 100% coverage though? Last set of calves I checked on it that was about the price for 85% coverage so if the market goes against you the premium is really quite a bit bigger than the original .03

Latest posts