• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

1994 Cummins

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I would challenge any of you to find a nicer ride then my 06 Dodge, We got one of the last 5.9s and it is a total power house. The ranch owns a 91 Dodge with a Cummins, and after I got into the pump on it, it might pull with a straight 7.3 Ford. If you want reliability, go with the Cummins. If you want power of that era, you need to do a little work on it.

LazyWP said:
I would challenge any of you to find a nicer ride then my 06 Dodge, We got one of the last 5.9s and it is a total power house. The ranch owns a 91 Dodge with a Cummins, and after I got into the pump on it, it might pull with a straight 7.3 Ford. If you want reliability, go with the Cummins. If you want power of that era, you need to do a little work on it.

My ol' 1997 Ford F350 with a 7.3 is head and shoulders a better puller than our 1998 Dodge one ton diesel. Even with a full load of cows on a 24' trailer, I have to set the cruise on the Ford to keep from going past the speed limit. With the Dodge you have to keep whippin' and spurrin' to make any time at all.

we've had 2 7.3s prior to the one we have now and i've never had a complaint about their power. i have never owned a dodge so i can't compare the two, but as far as i'm concerened the 7.3 has all the power i need.

Soapweed said:
LazyWP said:

My ol' 1997 Ford F350 with a 7.3 is head and shoulders a better puller than our 1998 Dodge one ton diesel. Even with a full load of cows on a 24' trailer, I have to set the cruise on the Ford to keep from going past the speed limit. With the Dodge you have to keep whippin' and spurrin' to make any time at all.

There is alot of difference between your 98 motor, and my 06 motor. I think yours is still the 12 valve, or maybe the first year of the 24 valve. Yours is probably set at 250 horse, and mine is set at 375. I had a 97 Powerstroke. Granted it was 2 wheel drive and an automatic, but I can walk circles around it anytime I want to. The 97 had nearly 300,000 miles on it, and in my opinion, was the last year Ford produced a decent pickup. I traded the 97 off on a 01 Ford, 4X4, 7.3 Powerstroke. It was the biggest lemon I have ever been around. Traded it for my Dodge.

Anytime you want to try out pulling me, just holler. You pay the fuel, and I will haul a load of critters for you. :lol:

LazyWP said:
Soapweed said:
LazyWP said:

There is alot of difference between your 98 motor, and my 06 motor. I think yours is still the 12 valve, or maybe the first year of the 24 valve. Yours is probably set at 250 horse, and mine is set at 375. I had a 97 Powerstroke. Granted it was 2 wheel drive and an automatic, but I can walk circles around it anytime I want to. The 97 had nearly 300,000 miles on it, and in my opinion, was the last year Ford produced a decent pickup. I traded the 97 off on a 01 Ford, 4X4, 7.3 Powerstroke. It was the biggest lemon I have ever been around. Traded it for my Dodge.

Anytime you want to try out pulling me, just holler. You pay the fuel, and I will haul a load of critters for you. :lol:

That might be an offer I can't refuse. :wink:

Soapweed said:
LazyWP said:

Soapweed, your Ford could pull better if it had a lower speed rear
end ratio than the Dodge. Your Ford most likely has 4:10 gear
ratios and the Dodge perhaps 3:73 or higher. Mr. FH used to pay
real attention to this and only bought pickups with 4:10 gear ratio.
We had a real good puller, a 1967 Ford with a 352 engine and
4:56 gear ratio. It would pull a trailer over the Big Horn mountains
just as fast as it would run on the flat. It would be interesting to know
what your 1997 has vs your Dodge. Maybe you can get Kosmo to
check them out. :D

One other little thing, we bought a 1973 Ford 2WD with high gears
in the rear end; the dealer said to take it and try it--a good head wind
and that pickup could barely go, so Mr. FH had the gears changed to
3:56 and we picked up more power and better fuel mileage.
This was when we lived
40 miles from town and was easy to check. Then we noticed all the
smaller cars that got good mileage had lower gear ratios. FWIW

Latest posts