• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2007 Farm Bill

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Fireweed

Reaction score
Hey all!
Just got home from a snowy statewide meeting where one of the main topics was the 2007 Farm Bill. It appears Congress will begin drafting the new version in 2006, so I would encourage those of you with an interest in upcoming Farm Bill programs to contact your congressional delegates and share your comments and suggestions.

Is the Republican Congress going to try to blance Bush's war budget on the back of farmers and ranchers again? What was the mood at the meeting?

D-that is a valid fear that many of us share. I don't know at this point whether the funding will be cut, and if so where the cuts will show up. Which is why it is important for folks that have utilized those programs to speak up before congress crafts the new bill.

The focus of the meeting was to provide comments to resource managers/delegates to demonstrate the utility of the Farm Bill programs, and will be better armed to lobby against funding cuts. There was lengthy discussion on the Farm Bill programs that we put to work locally and how they have benefited our producers.

I would like to see any cuts come from lowering the payment cap. They couldn't even get it lowered to the measly sum of $250,000 a year a few weeks ago. What a joke.

SDSteve said:
I would like to see any cuts come from lowering the payment cap. They couldn't even get it lowered to the measly sum of $250,000 a year a few weeks ago. What a joke.

You mean some farmers get over a quarter of a million in subsidies?

I agree with you steve. the loop holes are so rediculous it is pathetic. with the computers today, there is no reason that these guys are tapping the system like they are.

one guy here buys 2 or 3 quarters a year off his payments. not to mention his $300,000 home.

pure Bull butter

Big Muddy rancher said:
SDSteve said:

The limit right now I believe is $375,000. If the big boys get close to the cap their wives suddenly start to farm. Then they get their ninety year old parents to start farming again to get a little more. If that isn't enough suddenly all the hired men start to farm a few sections.

SDSteve said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
SDSteve said:

The limit right now I believe is $375,000. If the big boys get close to the cap their wives suddenly start to farm. Then they get their ninety year old parents to start farming again to get a little more. If that isn't enough suddenly all the hired men start to farm a few sections.

I was being a bit facetious. I sort of knew how it worked but some in the US seem to like to deny that they are subsidized. As my brother in laws say "They aren't sudsidized but they couldn't ranch with out the programs"

Latest posts