• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2012 Dodge ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Traveler said:
I've read that my '14 Ram Diesel will go into limp mode if any of the emission devices are tampered with. Also, in warm weather it almost never does the "active regeneration" thing. When it's cold out, unless you're running down the hiway, it regenerates maybe a couple times a day. It definitely stinks and has low speed driveability issues when it starts the regen.
That is complete BS know guys that have 14 and 15s with the deletes done
The tuner reprograms the computer in the truck so the everything works as it should
Plus you can deactivate buzzers and systems that the dealer cant deactivate such as the seatbelt buzzer and the tire monitoring systems

Another good thing with the Dpf delete when the factory system regens it puts the ash and diesel fuel back into the crankcase oil causing you to change oil more frequently with it deleted you should get a couple 1000 more miles out of you oil changes

Angus cowman said:
Traveler said:
I've read that my '14 Ram Diesel will go into limp mode if any of the emission devices are tampered with. Also, in warm weather it almost never does the "active regeneration" thing. When it's cold out, unless you're running down the hiway, it regenerates maybe a couple times a day. It definitely stinks and has low speed driveability issues when it starts the regen.
The tuner reprograms the computer in the truck so the everything works as it should
Plus you can deactivate buzzers and systems that the dealer cant deactivate such as the seatbelt buzzer and the tire monitoring systems
That's interesting to know. I wonder what the cost is and the effect on the warranty? The dealer deactivated my seatbelt buzzer, but the tire monitoring system is another screwed up PITA.

Both of my trucks are gas one has /had a 5.4 in it were changeing it out this week found a different motor out of a wrecked truck with 48,000 actual it seamed to run well. My other one has developed a severe knock.My other truck has a v-10 that truck was getting to be quite the pooch called ford the catalatyc converters were pluged and under warrenty so they changed them out and it works fine for me. They both can be operated cheaper per mile that a diesel at this time was'nt the case for the last year and a half though.Both hold 32 gallons of gas when empty at todays prices I can fill them for $75 each

Faster horses said:
For driving those short distances, wouldn't a gasoline engine be better?
Our diesel never goes for short distances.

Yup, happily driving a gas job now. Works much better for my day job too where my truck spends a lot of time idling on work sites.

Traveler said:
Angus cowman said:
Traveler said:
That's interesting to know. I wonder what the cost is and the effect on the warranty? The dealer deactivated my seatbelt buzzer, but the tire monitoring system is another screwed up PITA.
Not sure of the cost as for warranty it depends on how good of a service manager you have my local dodge mechanic says as long as I bring it to them he will warranty it I dont have much warranty left on mine it us 2 yrs old and has 65000 miles on it so will be out of warranty by then end of 2015
Just got back from going after some cows ran about 300 miles in the hills of Northern Ark and avg'd 13.7 mpg where I was getting 10 mpg

Angus cowman said:
Went with H&S tuner XRT Pro race tuner ,H&S EGR delete and a flo max exhaust around $1800 thru amazon came from a company named
Diesel performance or DPF
As for needing the system with guages (H&S mini max) unless you have it tuned on the high setting or are using it as a race truck or hotrodding you dont need the guages
Mileage on my truck was around 22mpg on the way home from the shop driving thru memphis

YOU might not need the gauges, but we know of several people who have had problems because they ran the turbo too hot and didn't have gauges to let them know. Ruined the engines on more than one outfitl

Interesting you are getting that good of mileage. Wish we were! I do know that closer to sea level you get better mileage. 22 mpg is the best I have heard of. What is your pickup again? One-ton, dually? Is it 4WD? What year? Gear ratio? Engine size? if you posted that info, I apologize for missing it. Thanks for the information. I'll pass it along.

Faster horses said:
Angus cowman said:
Went with H&S tuner XRT Pro race tuner ,H&S EGR delete and a flo max exhaust around $1800 thru amazon came from a company named
As for needing the system with guages (H&S mini max) unless you have it tuned on the high setting or are using it as a race truck or hotrodding you dont need the guages
Mileage on my truck was around 22mpg on the way home from the shop driving thru memphis

YOU might not need the gauges, but we know of several people who have had problems because they ran the turbo too hot and didn't have gauges to let them know. Ruined the engines on more than one outfitl

Interesting you are getting that good of mileage. Wish we were! I do know that closer to sea level you get better mileage. 22 mpg is the best I have heard of. What is your pickup again? One-ton, dually? Is it 4WD? What year? Gear ratio? Engine size? if you posted that info, I apologize for missing it. Thanks for the information. I'll pass it along.
Can't answer all your questions for him but "here" is 185' to 230' abode see level. AC can answer the rest.

jedstivers said:
Faster horses said:
Angus cowman said:

Interesting you are getting that good of mileage. Wish we were! I do knowthat closer to sea level you get better mileage. 22 mpg is the best I have heard of. What is your pickup again? One-ton, dually? Is it 4WD? What year? Gear ratio? Engine size? if you posted that info, I apologize for missing it. Thanks for the information. I'll pass it along.
Can't answer all your questions for him but "here" is 185' to 230' abode see level. AC can answer the rest.
Truck is a 3/4 ton 4x4 with 3.73 gears and an automatic and it is a 2012
As for the havng a pyro gauge on the turbo if you are pulling in the mountains then yes I would want one but on normal driving they are not neccesary unless you have the programmer turned up to yhe extremes or you dont know enough to let your foot off the throttle and watch the engine temp guage as well
you got to remember that just becAuse you can pull the load uphill at 70 you dont have too a person has to know when to let off the throttle
But like I said if I was running in the mountains loaded all the time yes I would want the pyrometer

I've got a 08 dodge 6.7 that I deleted egr and soot cooker on ( right after warranty went out)because I got sick and tired of all the darn check engine lights coming on. I used a smarty jr tuner and I haven't had any issues with the tuner not working, but it doesn't delete all the codes though. As for mpg it increased about 1.5 mpg, but this truck hardly ever runs down an open road, always on ranch. On my fuel economy I went from 11mpg to 12.5. I run the tuner one notch above the economy mode. I'm very pleased with how the truck runs now (I didn't do all the deletes to make it a hot rod, just to stop going to dodge dealer to get a new egr valve).

brushkiller said:
I've got a 08 dodge 6.7 that I deleted egr and soot cooker on ( right after warranty went out)because I got sick and tired of all the darn check engine lights coming on. I used a smarty jr tuner and I haven't had any issues with the tuner not working, but it doesn't delete all the codes though. As for mpg it increased about 1.5 mpg, but this truck hardly ever runs down an open road, always on ranch. On my fuel economy I went from 11mpg to 12.5. I run the tuner one notch above the economy mode. I'm very pleased with how the truck runs now (I didn't do all the deletes to make it a hot rod, just to stop going to dodge dealer to get a new egr valve).

Sounds good.
I'm curious. Is your pickup a 1-ton, 4WD and is it a dually?
Our pickup (1-ton, 4WD, dually with a flatbed) gets 11.3 pulling a trailer; equipped with a Smarty Jr. A friend of ours came down here to pick up a couple of horses. He has the same year we do, 2011, one-ton dually with an even heavier utility box and he got 12.7.

We have had no issues with the Smarty Jr. either, but because we didn't see an increase in fuel mileage, we took it
to Rapid Diesel in Rapid City and they got the fuel mileage increased to 16.5 empty. But we never drive it empty. :?

3/4 ton with skirted flatbed and 4 boxes, with all of them filled with tools and stuff I need. Pulling trailer I get 10.5-11

Latest posts