• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

4 wheeler

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
I know it been discussed before, but stopped ski-doo dealer priced a couple models, next was Honda picked the same size they were about a $1000 less, then the Polaris and they were around a $1000 less then the Hondas. Polaris had a used 500 with around 1500 miles , winch told them I didn't need the snow plow, it had a big detachable tool box it was priced $3700, that sound good to me to spray weeds and fix fence , a lot better then the $7700 new skidoo

Hondas are hard to beat. Everybody has their preference but some guys around here bought Arctic Cats and are all broke down and some of us with our much older Hondas are still putting along.

Honda's are hard to beat most the guys I know have a Honda. Know a few with Polaris two of which got rid of them and went to Suzuki and Honda. I have had two Suzuki's and have had good luck with them so far.

The team-roper who runs this place for his absentee-folks has three Yamaha Rhino's here...the one assigned to me is a carbureted 660cc...the others are feul-injected 700's.

I've worked with them for 4mos now, and I'm used to having a steering-wheel, gas-pedal, roll-cage and 'dump-truck' style box behind me...good enough to haul upwards of 300+ lbs in the back...I'll NEVER go back to using a 'handle-barred' 4-wheeler now...just too much wear and tear on the wrists, and the thumb-actuated throttle is just too much of a pain in the A**.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Hondas are hard to beat. Everybody has their preference but some guys around here bought Arctic Cats and are all broke down and some of us with our much older Hondas are still putting along.

Bought this Honda 300 in 1995 and it's still running strong!

100_2816.jpg

Whitewing said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Bought this Honda 300 in 1995 and it's still running strong!

100_2816.jpg

Whitewing.... You should loan that one to Gcreek so it can get broke in :!: My hondas withstand a lot of abuse and are hard to beat.

Prettyhandycontraption.jpg

This outfit is pretty hard to beat. It's smooth riding, has a comfortable seat that holds three people if necessary, and regularly hauls
a thousand pounds of salt and mineral. I also much prefer a foot pedal to regulate speed rather than a thumb control.

If you are interested in a comfortable ride it is hard to beat Polaris. We have been running them for years. My current machine is an 07 X2 with nearly 8000 miles on it. I have been told that repairs are higher on a Polaris, I don't know if that is true or not. I do know that I work them pretty hard and they haven't let me down yet. We had a Kawasaki before we started with Polaris and I will never again buy an ATV without 4 wheel independent suspension. I just can't justify the difference in price between a Honda and Polaris to get the features I like on an ATV.

I bought my first honda in 1995 and now have three fuel injected Honda Ranchers. They aren't used they are abused around here. I have three sons the oldest is 14 and I probably don't want to know what they do to them. But we almost have know repairs with the Hondas. Two of them are manual shift and don't have odometer's and that is probably good but I am sure during calving we will put 100 miles a day on them . My dad has a Polaris all I can say the ride is smoother. Other than that I don't care for it.

Big Muddy rancher said:

I've got 2 Arctic Cats. Both have been good machines. I like the '07 650TBX because it has a box on the back so I don't have to tie stuff on, just throw it in the box and go.

Cedarcreek said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I've got 2 Arctic Cats. Both have been good machines. I like the '07 650TBX because it has a box on the back so I don't have to tie stuff on, just throw it in the box and go.

I nlike my Arctic Cats also. Not sure if any of the major brands would stand unscathed with the use/abuse I give a bike. The used 07 650 i bought last year had a bearing go on the inside end of the clutch driveshaft last fall at 7000 km. Am replacing wheel bearings now at 8500 km.

i just got a 2011 Polaris 500 a about 3 weeks ago and really like it so far. i have put about 250 miles on it so far and it has a really nice ride and plenty of gity up n go. :D

I overhauled my Polaris myself for about $400 in aftermarket parts. The dealer had quoted me about $1200 at the time. I let it go too long and the loose ball bearings on the crankshaft had allowed the flywheel and stator to chew each other up. If you hear unnatural scraping and grinding sounds, better park it and investigate. :shock: :shock: :shock:

The outfit runs good when I first start it up and then starts misfiring because the magnets are weak. At least that's what I blame it on. I bought a complete used carburetor and put it on and that didn't change a thing.

I now have good used ignition parts I bought off Ebay to install, but I"m going to have to strip the rig back down to do the job. It has been a learning experience.

There is another model like mine on a sale near Rapid City coming up. I might see if can start a collection. :wink:

I've had 2 Polaris Rangers. The first was a 2002 2x4 with locking rear differential. I was a hard working machine for years and held up well - 'til it was stolen. So, we bought another 500cc 4x4 to replace it in 2008. Still running it. Few months back we got a call from the local sheriff's office. The next county over had our first Ranger and after we paid the 100 tow fee we got it back. The thieves had painted it up shiny blue and put fancy chrome wheels on it with brand new tires. I put the key in the ignition and it started right up. (I'll confess I had left the key in it when it was stolen - upside was they didn't have to tear out the ignition to start it so my spare worked.) I'm surprised and thrilled we got it back. We sold it one week later. It's still going strong too.

I do like the bed for working and hauling around the farm. It comes in handy for firewood hauling too. And we definitely load it down with firewood - way over suggested weight limits.

I will say that the body plastic on the newer Ranger is definitely not
as good as the first one. The floor pan started cracking around the bolts within the first year and the manufacturer would do nothing for us since it was over six months. So, even though the machines have run pretty well, we definitely wouln't buy anioher one since the manufacturer won't stand behind their product.

I wish those side by sides came with at least a 5 foot box so you could haul posts in them easier-they kill my back. I can ride all day on a horse but a buzz through the heifers on one of them lames me up.

Northern Rancher said:
I wish those side by sides came with at least a 5 foot box so you could haul posts in them easier-they kill my back. I can ride all day on a horse but a buzz through the heifers on one of them lames me up.

Nothing like fencing with a team. Hook those Suffolk Punches.

Heck you and Ty could just load up a wagon with posts, wire a crow bar and maul throw in a tent and a rifle and you could go out for a week at a time and just live off the land. :D

Arvid even has the covered wagon lol. Ty and his cousins did the l;ive off the land deal when they were 12 or so-they had quite the camp set up-lived on squirrels lol.

I've been pretty happy with my '02 Polaris Sportsman 500HO. The only problems I've had is with the AWD down in the hub. I had to replace everything including the strut and hub. I bought used parts on ebay to do it though. The other herd I manage has a Honda Rancher, I will grant that Hondas are more reliable, but Polaris is a far better ride. I prefer the Polaris over the Honda.

Latest posts