• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

50 years ago

Help Support Ranchers.net:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Today, 50 years ago, was the Good Friday earthquake. Worst ever recorded. Not much disaster relief back then. No warning it was coming like you have for the New Orleans hurricane.

I was there, in Kenai Alaska. A child. We drank powdered milk for months. I remember how good it was to get to drink whole milk again finally. No phones. Not much media. No electricity.

Funny how we have evolved into what we have become right here in the good ole USA. Alaska had only been a state for five years when this happened. The lower 48 didn't have much emotional investment in it.

Only a month or so after that earthquake a girl enrolled in my class who had lived in Anchorage (her Dad was in the Air Force).

She had hundreds of pictures and brought them to school for the rest of the class to see.

I can still envision those pictures and couldn't imagine that much destruction around here.

Mike said:
Only a month or so after that earthquake a girl enrolled in my class who had lived in Anchorage (her Dad was in the Air Force).

She had hundreds of pictures and brought them to school for the rest of the class to see.

I can still envision those pictures and couldn't imagine that much destruction around here.

You're dating yourself there Mike! :)

Latest posts