• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

5th Cutting Alfalfa 09/22/2021

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
It looks light but very leafy. It has been slow growing due to cool weather. No frost is predicted for a couple of weeks, but rain is highly expected so best to cut and get baled now. I expect 1 ton per acre.

Bert cut some of his third yesterday. He quit early because the swather wasn't running right. Shortly after that a little thunder storm rolled through. I thanked him for cutting it because we sure do need the rain. He had his second all raked and a bigger thunder storm rolled through that time. If he would just make more hay we wouldn't be having this drought.

Here is the 5th cutting. Leafy with finer stems and figures out to 3/4 ton per acre.
The total from this field for 2021 is final at 11 3/4 tons per acre. 352.5 tons of fine
alfalfa from this 30-acre field in 5 cuttings. Not too shabby at the current price.
IMG_5735.JPG

Last edited:
Waiting on a shower later this week to green things up for our second cutting maybe. First was 2 months late due to cold wet weather.

Once I sell some calves its going to be molasses and barley straw for the rest of them to try to make what little grass I have last a bit longer.
On a good note I finally got my guns,powder,primers,loaded ammo and gun liceance back from the police. Hardest thing as a Christian for me was to forgive them.
Calling 911 is about the same as a rabbit stuck in a trap crying out for the wolves to help.

Once I sell some calves its going to be molasses and barley straw for the rest of them to try to make what little grass I have last a bit longer.
On a good note I finally got my guns,powder,primers,loaded ammo and gun liceance back from the police. Hardest thing as a Christian for me was to forgive them.
Calling 911 is about the same as a rabbit stuck in a trap crying out for the wolves to help.
Some things cannot be forgiven. 2A insurrections are one of them. I agree with your 911 statement. Here we don't call 911. Last time we had problems was 10 years ago. As I told the thief... I have 6 machines that will dig a hole twice the size of your pickup in 10 minutes, you have 1 minute to get off the place. Never had anymore problems.

Some things cannot be forgiven. 2A insurrections are one of them. I agree with your 911 statement. Here we don't call 911. Last time we had problems was 10 years ago. As I told the thief... I have 6 machines that will dig a hole twice the size of your pickup in 10 minutes, you have 1 minute to get off the place. Never had anymore problems.
In Alberta the criminals now carry cell phones and call the police for help when confronted by home owners.
Law abiding gun owners have to spend thousands of dollars and wait almost a year to go to court and prove they did nothing wrong. Prosecutors and police would do anything but admit mistake because getting firearms away from farmers can only be a good thing.
Its a good thing that the police have nothing better to do than to go after farmers.
The whole world is upside down.

In Alberta the criminals now carry cell phones and call the police for help when confronted by home owners.
Law abiding gun owners have to spend thousands of dollars and wait almost a year to go to court and prove they did nothing wrong. Prosecutors and police would do anything but admit mistake because getting firearms away from farmers can only be a good thing.
Its a good thing that the police have nothing better to do than to go after farmers.
The whole world is upside down.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Latest posts