• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

7 year old dies in farm accident

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
7 year old dies in farm accident

A 7 year old boy has died after an accident on the family farm near Lenore on Friday
RCMP say the father of the boy didn't know his son was hiding in the bucket of a tractor
Police say the bucket was tipped and the tractor moved forward, running over the boy.
The investigation continues.

This happened about 10 mins from here. Very Very sad.

The bad thing is that accidents like that happen a lot! Farms are the one of the most dangerous places to work .

We all need to me more careful just in our daily doings!

I went to ck on one of our cows, calf she'd just had had rolled into the cold creek. I went down to pull the BIG bull calf up on the bank to Momma.

WHAM!! Outta no where Momma throws me up the creek then comes at me again and this time I hit a stump with my backside while she's pushing from the front. I look like the NBC peacock!!!

The calving pasture sure can be a dangerous place... That momma cow would get placed on the list here for such behavior..

These things are tragic, expecially when they happen to such young children.. .. I can totally see so many of these things happening in just a blink of the eye... :cry: :cry:

I wonder if bear spray would work on a bad cow-I'm serious if it can fend off a bear it might get you out of a bad jam. I haven't been rolled for a long time but i'm quick like a bunny. I tore my neighbor a new ...hole for giving kids rides in the loader bucket-I just about lost Ty when he was five years old-he fell out of the cab when an axle bropke and i caught him by one foot with my left hand just before he fell under the wheels-the worse feeling in the world.

I've given a thought to that NR... I was talking to my FIL about getting bashed like kraven just said and he told me I should carry one of those little hand hot shots... My response was once she was that close it was game over anyways.. But the bear spray idea I think would have merrit.. I have learned to have eyes in back of my head.

It's nasty stuff close your eyes if you try it-Ty packs it when he's bowhunting-it's cool when those bear scratch on your treestand ladders.

I have used it once NR.. Just to see how far it would shoot and stuff. Had a big old canister of it when we lived in Montana.. Actually not sure of the legality of it in Illinois.. I remember around Chicago at one point that there was a limit on how potent it could be and some of the litle keychain ones the young women had couldn't be purchased in the area because they were illegal. Stupid rule.. Almost every gal I knew at college had some and I don't blame them one bit..

My only fear would be spraying that crap right into a head wind.. We get some strong wind around here in the spring..

No matter how many problems you think you may have, nothing in the world compares to the loss of a child. :( :( :( :(

An accident that takes a split second can change your life. My heart goes out to them.

Northern Rancher said:
I wonder if bear spray would work on a bad cow-I'm serious if it can fend off a bear it might get you out of a bad jam. I haven't been rolled for a long time but i'm quick like a bunny. I tore my neighbor a new ...hole for giving kids rides in the loader bucket-I just about lost Ty when he was five years old-he fell out of the cab when an axle bropke and i caught him by one foot with my left hand just before he fell under the wheels-the worse feeling in the world.

I hear you there I took off in mine one time my daughter was in the cab she bumped into the rear window and it opened she fell out the back.She got a little scun up on the 3 point arms made me ill thinking about it.

One time my brother bumped into the back window a tractor and we were mowing hay and he fell out and hit his head on the pto shaft then he fell under it luckly my uncle saw quik enough and stoped the tractor and shut the he haybine off.

I think every dads had a scare...greg had our then three year old son out checking cows on pasture one wet eve,trying to get up the rain soaked river pasture hill,went out to lock hubs and truck starts going back down hill with son in truck,large embankments on both sides....greg got to truck "just" in time.....22 years later he still gets pale when he tells that story.

I sure feel sorry for the dad in this story :(

My cousin's ex wife (wife at the time) ran over their daughter with a dump truck back in the 80's a couple miles away at her family's farm. He ended up packing up and heading to Florida.

I ahve heard a lot of stories from the old timers around here about the, in their words not mine, stupid things they did with their kids and let their kids do and how lucky they are that nothing happened.. Around here it is generally harvest time that is the problem with old tractors being used to haul gravity wagons rolling over, or kids drowning in grain. Very, very sad.. IThey put out a lot of farm safty stuff through the FSA office and I tend to pick the stuff up even though most of it is common sense it still serves as a good reminder for a novice parent like myself.

The poor fathers and mothers that have this happen on their "watch"... I just can't imagine the living hell the rest of my life would be...

when my dad was in high school, the heavy disk broke, so they were using the lighter one, three boys went to the field, dad driving, one riding, and the third was shooting seagulls....dad stopped at the end, to shift of something, and his brother thought it was time to go....started up the back of the tractor as dad let out on the clutch! my uncle still has scars on his head where it laid open his scalp.......

grandma said she knew something was wrong when the tractor came in the yard on two wheels!

we are all guilty of cutting corners......and that is where the accidents wait!

the saddest deal I can think of was my friend lost his little brother to a tractor rollover then almost twenty years to the day in the same spot he lost his son that he named after his brother to the same accident. Kind of spooky but sad.

I had a near death experience about 8 years ago. We used to have a Farmall 706, finally got rid of that POS. Anyway, I was using a pull behind fertelizer spreader and disengated the drive wheel going through a wet area. As I got to the other side I turned around to pull the rope to re-engage the drive. My foot slipped off the clutch lurching the tractor forward. If anyone has an old Farmall you know that the bottom of the original seats was wood, attatched to a hinge. As the tractor lurched forward the lags pulled out of the seat propelling me back. Somehow I managed to grab one of the lights on the fender and prevented myself from being run over. We replaced that seat with one that has a metal bottom. I recomend to anyone with the old wood seat bottoms...REPLACE IT! What didn't help was when the tractor was outside we tipped the seat up so it would be dry. That caused the wood to rot a little I think.

It was Ed Hunter's Step Son. Our Family knows Ed pretty well, Hes a Shearer. Some of our good freinds are goin out that way in a few days to help him with anything he needs! Thats all I know. Dad was talking to someone aout it this morning!

So sad :cry:

Katy

I was thinking a bit about this today and all of the sudden had a bit of a flash back to when I was a kid.. I might have been 11-12 and we were up in Wisconsin. My brother and Iwere racing down the road on bikes and my front tired hit his rear tire andI crashed and went flying into the road. A car screeched and stopped about a foot or two from my head.. The door opened and out shot, my dad.. He was so mad but thinking back I am guessing he was just really shook up by the event.. I know I was.. Hard to imagine but I had put that out of my mind...

Latest posts