• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

89 f250

Help Support Ranchers.net:

GM88

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I changed the clutch , fly wheel, and slave cylinder on this truck and am trying to bleed the thing. Had my daughter push the clutch to the floor with it open and oil would shoot out. I would close the valve on top of the slave cylinder and she would lift the clutch up and we would repeat the process. never could we get any resistance in the clutch. I was reading on other boards and they said to pump the clutch fast until resistance built up then loosen the bleeder nut and repeat. Is there still air in the clutch or is the master cylinder having trouble?? Hope someone can help!!

some fords, from about that vintage on, you almost gotta replace master and slave cylinder and tube as a unit. almost impossible to get all the air out. if you can get it to work at all and keep reservoir full, air will eventually go some damn place

But if you got type that you can bleed, you can get a hand vacumn pump and little bottle dealy at part store---you open your bleeder and run a tube from it to nipple on top of this jar/bottle, there's another nipple there you hook vacumne line to--the idea is to not suck fluid into the hand vacumne pump--keep reservoir full and pump away, when jar gets full you run 'er around again. neat thing about this setup is that with a little extra tubing you can do it w/o a helper and really kinda flush the line and get any air out no matter how much fluid you gotta run thru, plus you can bleed all4 corners of brakes w/o making a mess, assuming you're a tidy guy (I ain't)

I thought on those you just pumped the pedal until you can't pump it anymore, then switch and let someone else pump it. Eventually it will work the air out.
But!!!! don't take my word for it, I haven't mechaniced for nearly 30 years.

I agree with LazyWP ??? I had a 91 F250 that you just had to pump and pump and pump, there was not even a bleeder on the darned thing :evil: If you kept at it, it would prime up!! Good luck 101

Thanks for the replies . I have a new master cylinder coming think it must be wore out 2. There is a bleeder on it and have pumped the clutch a lot .. It wasn't working properly before but the slave was leaking and thought it was just that but going to try changeing the master cylinder. Not looking forward to getting wedged under the dash. I'm pretty claustrophobic .

I have an 1989 250. Is it air in the clutch system or is that the clutch don't entirely release? I believe the slave cylinder is fastened to the fire wall. After time the fire wall becomes less stable so it don't work so well. Some put an adjustable push rod from the slave cylinder to the clutch or someplace. I believe the older models had this. I am no mechanic, but if air in the system is the problem you can get the whole unit with both cylinders already full of fluid and bled.

Thanks for the input Little Joe , 101, Lazy wp,and Clarence . I couldn't get the air out of the new system. I changed the master cylinder and pumped it and bled it for a while and got good pressure. Where I was getting parts they said the master cylinder is never usually a problem. Anyway it works so Thanks.

Latest posts