• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

a day i've waited for since 03

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hereford76

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
0
Location
North Central Montana
spring of 2003 i sold 147 registered hereford (easy... i know that word is a bomb around here) pairs eliminating a bloodline back to a known diluter. i reinvested the money by working out a deal with one of the oldest registered breeders in the state to hand select his top cows. it took him a year to make up his mind - but we shook hands. he still has his other cows but loves to come down and see what i am doing with basically the cream of his herd. i've been waiting for the day that he would inquire about getting a bull out of here to spring this on him. he came out this am looking for a bull to breed his heifers to. he was going thru them and picking the ones he liked and then asking how much. it was obvious he was looking for something that would work with the lowest price. so he picks one priced at the very bottom price and i said to him. now, if price wasn't an issue which bull would you take. he said it would be a tie between two. and i've had it in my head to do this from the very day he let me go and buy his top cows... i said, well choose and consider it a royalty off the cows you allowed me to buy. not embarrased to say we both shed a couple tears.
 

Yanuck

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
4,341
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
H76...have to say, today hasn't gone the best at our house, but when I read your post it brought a tear to my eye as well. Not that i doubted it, but somedays its harder to remember than others, its good to know that there are still great people in the world that do things like you did today for other people...thanks!!
 

Hereford76

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
0
Location
North Central Montana
Yanuck said:
H76...have to say, today hasn't gone the best at our house, but when I read your post it brought a tear to my eye as well. Not that i doubted it, but somedays its harder to remember than others, its good to know that there are still great people in the world that do things like you did today for other people...thanks!!

sorry about the bad day.

maybe i'm confused - but yanuck... are you the remington outfit?
 

littlejoe

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana, East Slope
Outstanding! I like dealing with people with a heart. Ya get a minute, inbox me your phone number--maybe this spring, most likely next, I'll be in the market for another hereford bull.
 

jigs

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
8,439
Reaction score
0
Location
KANSAS
you are a class act Ace. that is a very honorable thing to do....
 

Yanuck

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
4,341
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Hereford76 said:
Yanuck said:
H76...have to say, today hasn't gone the best at our house, but when I read your post it brought a tear to my eye as well. Not that i doubted it, but somedays its harder to remember than others, its good to know that there are still great people in the world that do things like you did today for other people...thanks!!

sorry about the bad day.

maybe i'm confused - but yanuck... are you the remington outfit?


no we're not, worked for them, but not anymore.
 

3words

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
646
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
Hats off to you Hereford76,that was the honourable thing to do!! Not to many people would do that now a days,and that rancher left your house thinking he couldn't have sold the best of his cows,to a better person!!! :clap:
 

burnt

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
6,617
Reaction score
0
Location
Mid-western Ontario
3words said:
Hats off to you Hereford76,that was the honourable thing to do!! Not to many people would do that now a days,and that rancher left your house thinking he couldn't have sold the best of his cows,to a better person!!! :clap:


Well said!
 

Soapweed

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
16,263
Reaction score
53
Location
northern Nebraska Sandhills
You are to be commended, Hereford76. That was a fine thing for you to do, and I'll bet the man you bought the cows from is thoroghly impressed knowing his top cows went into such an honorable program.

The only sad thing is why your original cows got infused with a diluter gene to start with. There was some hanky-panky that went on way back when which caused that to happen. Even if a Simmental looked enough like a Hereford to fool some folks, it should never have clogged up the gene pool. Greed and the love of money do terrible things, and the consequences have lasting effect. You just happened to be one of the victims by purchasing the tainted bloodline. Anyway, you are a very honorable man, both for what you did today, and for getting rid of the cull cattle before passing the problem on to others. I salute you.
 

Hereford76

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
0
Location
North Central Montana
just got home from a wrestling meet over in valier.

not to sound corny - but thanks guys, from the bottom of my heart. i've
been beamin all day over this. i almost told him a couple years ago when he was talking about retiring... so glad i got the chance to do it like i had in my head all this time. i can't remember how long ago it was that i first learned how good it feels to help someone or return a favor - my old man was old school... he raised us most call tuff today and he taught us respect and always said "what goes around comes around" and its true. i hope i can do half the job he did.

he is going to sleep on which of the two bulls to pick. i'm going to run the bull for him til he need it and tara and i are going to try and get a picture together with him and the bull. Maybe some of you montana folks have heard the name... gunderson herefords. they still raise a small number of bulls too and don't advertise or anything like that, but he's got a small group for sale. if someone might be short a bull this year give him or his wife a call.

thanks guys
 

Hereford76

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
0
Location
North Central Montana
Yanuck said:
Hereford76 said:
Yanuck said:
H76...have to say, today hasn't gone the best at our house, but when I read your post it brought a tear to my eye as well. Not that i doubted it, but somedays its harder to remember than others, its good to know that there are still great people in the world that do things like you did today for other people...thanks!!

sorry about the bad day.

maybe i'm confused - but yanuck... are you the remington outfit?


no we're not, worked for them, but not anymore.

ok - i thought there was some connection anyhow. i remember looking at the remington website a few years ago and then here lately and learned they dispersed... anyhow - i was just wondering about a cow remington had as a donor cow, the ronan ranch cow. got to tour that place and was very, very impressed with those cattle. just curious what you thought about the cow that remington had on their website or about those cattle in general.
 

gcreekrch

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
11,645
Reaction score
500
Location
west chilcotin bc
Bread on the waters Ace.

I have a hunch who might get the first call when that herd gets disbursed. :wink:


I worked 3 days for an old cowman in 1977 whose sons had left home and needed help branding. When I got there we did 2 years worth as he hadn't worked his calves from the year before either. An old homemade wooden squeeze, 150 yearlings with horns and nuts and then 150 calves.

When he paid me, he said that if I ever needed a helping hand to just call. In 1986, now married, we had lots of hay but our bank would not loan us any money because of a loan we were paying off due to the high interest times.

We went for a visit to this old fella and told him our position. He bought 50 cows for us that year and 35 heifer calves 2 years later. When I asked him if he wanted me to sign a paper he told me that if a handshake wasn't good enough he wasn't doing the deal. He later made it possible for a young couple to come in and buy him out while they worked for him.

He had helped his sons get started also.

Someday, someway, I would like to help a young couple out in order to payback the goodwill we recieved.

Ed went to greener pastures a few years back but we will never forget his generosity.
 

Latest posts

Top