• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Governor that tells it like it is.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Reaction score
Governor Christie told the sun bathers to get the hell off the beach that they have exausted their tanning time on the beachs of his state. :clap:

Tam said:
Governor Christie told the sun bathers to get the hell off the beach that they have exausted their tanning time on the beachs of his state. :clap:

Brings up an interesting question- Should Governors, Mayors, Law Enforcement have the authority to make MANDATORY evacuation orders and make people leave their houses and/or private property because of a perceived danger :???:

My belief when I was in office was NO- you can advise, but I don't think, under MT law anyway, you can force anyone to evacuate...

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

Brings up an interesting question- Should Governors, Mayors, Law Enforcement have the authority to make MANDATORY evacuation orders and make people leave their houses and/or private property because of a perceived danger :???:

My belief when I was in office was NO- you can advise, but I don't think, under MT law anyway, you can force anyone to evacuate...

You can make them evacuate public, but not private property. But when they do evacuate private property, you can deny them access after a storm, etc. in the name of "common good".

You can also charge anyone who didn't evacuate for any rescues.

Mike said:
Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

You can make them evacuate public, but not private property. But when they do evacuate private property, you can deny them access after a storm, etc. in the name of "common good".

Yep- thats how we handled it...

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:
Oldtimer said:

Yep- thats how we handled it...

And that's how Christie handled it:
New Jersey Republican governor Chris Christie is ordering New Jersey residents living on the coast to begin evacuating as Hurricane Irene approaches.

"If it continues on the current track, from a flooding perspective this could be a 100-year event," Mr. Christie said Thursday. "People should not take this lightly."

Christie issued a frank warning to those on New Jersey's barrier islands Friday: "You stay there at the risk of your life," the New Jersey governor said at a press conference.

"Let me say this to the people in Cape May, Atlantic and Ocean Counties: If you are on the barrier islands, it is time to get out. This is not like anything you've ever seen. You stay there at risk to your own life," Mr. Christie added.

The warning comes as a number of governors ordered evacuations as the Category 3 hurricane continued on its path north. Speaking Friday, Mr. Christie urged residents in the path of the hurricane to begin leaving, noting that bottlenecks and traffic jams are likely to occur as the storm gets closer.

"There's going to be stress points everywhere," Mr. Christie said. "This is not just a possibility, this is an overwhelming probability that this is going to happen."

The New Jersey Republican said state officials expect the hurricane to cause widespread damage, both on the coast and inland.

"This is not just a possibility," Mr. Christie said. "It is an overwhelming probability. This is not going to be just a coastal incident. This is an incident that will be statewide for us."

Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/hurricane-irene-chris-christie-orders-evacuations-its-time-to-get-out/#ixzz1WFPiDOym

The HUGE Problem with people that don't or won't evacuate is when they get into trouble, which they will guaranteed, they will expect the authorities to come to their aid and risk their lives to do so. You can also bet if the authorities don't show up in time they will face a lawsuit. With the stupid judges in the court system they will probably win the case too. There should be a law that states if you are told to evacuate and you don't you have absolutely no right to expect anyone to risk their lives to pull you out of the mess you put yourself into.

I hear some that are staying were told to write they name and SS number on their arm with Permanent market so they can be Identified if need be. If that doesn't scare them into leaving, it should be end of story they should be given no legal way to come back and sue anyone.

Latest posts