• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Rare Positive Point

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mrj

Reaction score
There is an interesting report in Drovers CattleNetwork today. Link to it at http://www.cattlenetwork.com.cattle-news/latest/Cattle-raiser-convention-features-session-on-beef-product-development-trend-118518200.html.

It reports on a session presented by Dr. Molly McAdams who is a branding and product expert for Own Brand , H-E-B stores, prevalent in much of the southern and southeastern USA (where populations of consumers are very high).

Aside from that intersting story, it is just one example of the spouse of a past CEO of NCBA serving the Beef Checkoff very well, and who MAY have travelled with her husband at times when he was with NCBA.

The same has been true of spouses of other CEO's, many of whom have been assets to the cattle/beef industry while accompanying their spouse to meetings of both NCBA the Beef Checkoff organizations.

Unfortunately, due to jealousies of people who do not know, understand, or believe what the checkoff does, and what NCBA does, and how the costs are separated, have probably made it unlikely or even impossible for such assistance to continue.

mrj

mj...Unfortunately, due to jealousies of people who do not know, understand, or believe what the checkoff does, and what NCBA does, and how the costs are separated, have probably made it unlikely or even impossible for such assistance to continue.

MJ what you consider jealousies is more than likely people wanting everyone to follow the rules and law.

The folks who are leading both the NCBA and R-CALF are basically politicians. They are people in positions of power who are supposed to represent other folks like you and me. Why are any of us suprised when they don't? :???: The politicians on both sides won't allow that! Ranchers with a lot of common goals on this website wind up fighting like rabid dogs. Why would national organizations be any better? To me it comes down to who represents me the closest? I'd like them to represent me perfectly every time. I've never witnessed that yet! If ya'll don't like the direction why don't you jump on in the pool? But you'll never please everybody, ever! And those that disagree with you will probably get out of joint with you. The sad part is, we get enough bullets shot at us by vegans and peta and ignorant people who have no idea what they are talking about without the "freindly fire" that happens because of different opinions! :?

leanin' H said:
The folks who are leading both the NCBA and R-CALF are basically politicians. They are people in positions of power who are supposed to represent other folks like you and me. Why are any of us suprised when they don't? :???: The politicians on both sides won't allow that! Ranchers with a lot of common goals on this website wind up fighting like rabid dogs. Why would national organizations be any better? To me it comes down to who represents me the closest? I'd like them to represent me perfectly every time. I've never witnessed that yet! If ya'll don't like the direction why don't you jump on in the pool? But you'll never please everybody, ever! And those that disagree with you will probably get out of joint with you. The sad part is, we get enough bullets shot at us by vegans and peta and ignorant people who have no idea what they are talking about without the "freindly fire" that happens because of different opinions! :?

'H, your grounded sense of reality and common sense always make me feel like there is hope for all folks. Thanks for being the refreshing voice of reason on this site!

Silver said:
leanin' H said:

'H, your grounded sense of reality and common sense always make me feel like there is hope for all folks. Thanks for being the refreshing voice of reason on this site!

I spent most of my teenage years grounded so I guess it musta stuck with me> :shock: :cry: :D But if I am the voice of reason, we are all screwed! :shock: :wink:

leanin' H said:
Silver said:
leanin' H said:

I spent most of my teenage years grounded so I guess it musta stuck with me> :shock: :cry: :D But if I am the voice of reason, we are all screwed! :shock: :wink:

Imagine that! The voice of reason coming from someone who keeps g-g-g-g-go-goa - - nah, I can't even bring myself to say it . . .

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

leanin H, I've been involved in NCBA for many years, and I believe you would be surprised to learn how many in leadership are very similar to you.

There are good people who work hard on their ranches, who for whatever reason, family at home, good management/business skills, and believe strongly that they need to 'give back' to the cattle busness by serving in those volunteer leadership roles.

Few have gone into, or come from, politics.

Yes, they may be 'politically active' because if we are not, on our own local, state, and national level, who do we have to blame for what is going on in government today???

If you choose to refuse to believe that NCBA really is run by those volunteer leaders and officers, I'm sorry.

mrj

Leanin' H,

Unfortunately, this industry has two leading factions that couldn't be more polarized in their views. The progressive side believes in beef research, promotion, and education with the understanding that beef prices drive cattle prices. The regressive side believes beef research, promotion, and education only serve to benefit the packer while contradicting themselves with their support for the flawed "M"COOL law as if that promotes domestic cattle. As long as the beef checkoff is being paid by both factions, you will have the regressives doing their best to keep the industry moving backwards with their blame driven agenda.

Nothing would help this industry more than to further seperate the progressive side and the regressive side. Packer blamers should not be forced to benefit from beef research, promotion, and education against their will. That's just not right.

~SH~

mrj said:
leanin H, I've been involved in NCBA for many years, and I believe you would be surprised to learn how many in leadership are very similar to you.

There are good people who work hard on their ranches, who for whatever reason, family at home, good management/business skills, and believe strongly that they need to 'give back' to the cattle busness by serving in those volunteer leadership roles.

Few have gone into, or come from, politics.

Yes, they may be 'politically active' because if we are not, on our own local, state, and national level, who do we have to blame for what is going on in government today???

If you choose to refuse to believe that NCBA really is run by those volunteer leaders and officers, I'm sorry.

mrj

I didn't mean to imply ALL folks in the NCBA leadership were politicians. But some are. I have no doubt many folks feel like I do and are tired of the in-fighting that takes place between R-Calf and NCBA. Regardless of which side folks are on, it is wasted energy to fight each other when the true "enemy" is the propaganda and lies put up by the radical enviromentalists and vegans crowd. I side with the NCBA on the majority of issues we all face. I don't think packers are evil but do wish they would work with the producer more instead of the "My way" attitude most seem to take. My point I was trying to make is it doesn't matter WHO is running the show, some of us will disagree with the direction they lead. Some will say salaries are way too high and others will say you don't get and keep good, smart folks for free! Some will holler about spouses trips and others will argue it's money well spent! Private land ranchers will complain about public allotments! Disagreements will happen! But they don't have to divide us from our common goal, unless we let it!

Latest posts