• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A View on NAFTA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver, "No, the EU is not writing a cheque, but they are paying because they WANT to, rather than back down on the issue"

They want to pay? Come on, Silver. Who wants to pay penalties? They are paying not because they want to, but becasue they see it as the lesser of the evils. They conform to the WTO's ruling or they pay.

Why don't you take my suggestion and do an internet search of the WTO? It would clear things up for you.

Sandman: "SH, if the WTO had no enforcement power, why would anybody sign up? Why would it even exist? Why are there huge demonstrations, with people even setting themselves on fire if the WTO can only make "suggestions"."

WHAT?

PEOPLE SETTING THEMSELVES ON FIRE???

Well why didn't you mention this before?

Why that can only mean the WTO has enforcement authority even though the EU ban on our beef remains in place.

Yup, you shor nuff got a point there Charlie. Hopefully nobody sees it under your pointed hat.

I think that curve ball ended up being tossed to the shortstop.

Don't drink and type Sandman. Just say no!

~SH~

Be a fool, SH. As many times as you and I tangle on this site, it only helps me as your credibility takes a hit with each post you make. Please continue, you have the WTO figured out exactly.

Sanhusker, yes they pay because they want to.... as in it is the lesser of two evils. That was my point. Apparently we can agree on that count. I've done plenty of reading on the WTO and nowhere have I read about any powers of collection on their part, or any punitive measures taken on their part. I'll say it again, because obviously it got missed earlier or I did not make my point well; the WTO is set up to be an impartial body with the purpose of settling trade disputes between nations. When a case is brought before it, it's purpose is to judge it on it's merits. It lends legitimacy to sanctions... It does not collect money, it does not police, and it does not steal sovereignty that wasn't already given away by our leaders in the first place.
It is my humnble opinion that the WTO is a necesssary tool that has the potential to level the world trade playing field, and the idea is grand. Perhaps it doesn't work as well as it should, but I do not believe that the world or individual nations would be better off without it. I will agree with you on the point that it appears that in certain cases they appear to be overstepping their bounds. You and I also have in common the fact that we don't have a better solution.
This is my last post on this thread, thanks for the debate.

Silver, "and it does not steal sovereignty that wasn't already given away by our leaders in the first place."

We agree again. Key point, "already given away".

My point is that it is unconstitutional for the US to give ANY foreign body ANY sovereignity no matter how or when it done.

Latest posts