• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

a well fed coon

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowhunter

Reaction score
Were stayin down at our river house this weekend. Its rained a lot and I'm the only one not complainin excipt for the hellish lightin. We cooked some good tbones and my lttle girl and her friend were eatin thern on the dock when a coon ambled down and took a steak and run. We had some extra so all was well. There's a ranch rodeo in williston but I don't have the strength to go. A long lost friend just moved back from up north and he's in it. He rode 2 saddle broncs and a bull. He's 51 years old. We grew up to gather, played football and had some wild wild times. He's been in and out of trouble and I hope he's threw with all that. Trey met him for the first time last night and pulled his rope.

Sounds like yall had a run in with someones pet coon,they are brazen lil devils but never heard of one that would get that close to humans for a T bone...........maybe a Ribeye :wink:
good luck

There's a field of corn planted about 1 1/2 weeks just over one farm from us and the coons are busy every night digging up the baby plants and eating the seed off of the bottom of the plant.

So far they have dug up 6 rows along the bush for the whole length of the farm, which amounts to about an acre. Must be an army of coons at work.

So the owner replanted it and now the rascals are digging up the second planting. I never saw this happen before.

Not happy neighbors! :mad:

burnt said:
There's a field of corn planted about 1 1/2 weeks just over one farm from us and the coons are busy every night digging up the baby plants and eating the seed off of the bottom of the plant.

So far they have dug up 6 rows along the bush for the whole length of the farm, which amounts to about an acre. Must be an army of coons at work.

So the owner replanted it and now the rascals are digging up the second planting. I never saw this happen before.

Around here it is pheasants that do that to the corn. Treated all of my seed with Avipel this year because they have gotten so bad.

Bullhauler said:
burnt said:

Around here it is pheasants that do that to the corn. Treated all of my seed with Avipel this year because they have gotten so bad.

How does it work, just like a repellent?

Quite a few guys around here put out a mix of Pepsi and fly bait but you don't want to get caught doing it. Pretty effective though!

Coons are hard to fill up, they do a lot of damage before their supper is over.

This little river aint changed much. Daddy bought the land the year. Was born. 1957. Otters used to be wild and u might see them early or late. But now they get up on the docks and stretch out and rest. There was a blue heron we called dale that I fed 17 bream to as fast as. Could catch them. He hung around for 3 years. I got my little smoker goin and I'm goin to try and smoke some blue gill. I'm goin to send in a few pcks.

burnt said:
Bullhauler said:
burnt said:

How does it work, just like a repellent?

Quite a few guys around here put out a mix of Pepsi and fly bait but you don't want to get caught doing it. Pretty effective though!

Coons are hard to fill up, they do a lot of damage before their supper is over.

The pheasants will still eat a little but the avipel gives them a gut ache and they move on and eat something else. So instead of losing 6 to 12 rows around a field you just lose a few plants.

My wife's cousin down in Houma, La said he's watched coons at their fish camp out on Bayou DuLarge; at low tide, they'd go get oysters and set them out on the dock. When the oysters would be out in the sun long enough they'd pop open and the coons would just come help their self. Seems like a well thought out plan.

Here ya go cowhunter I am having a little trouble with one of them but will see if I can get it loaded.
IMG00183.jpg

IMG00179.jpg

IMG00186.jpg

Looks like they all came through. :D

Looks like a fun place to spend the afternoon. :D

The waters stays at 72 degree all year long.its a nice getaway. My dad built the house in the 70's and we have built on to it over the years. It looks like u old juke joint but its a second home to us. There's been many a fish fry, frog leg fry, lowcountry boil, barbeque and mule orgin smokein. There's been many a youngin learn to swim there to.

Were havein treys graduation party next weekend and a family reunion the next. We stay down here a lot n the summer. My dads old frick double ot, cut the board and battin and we closed in the bottom and I cut all the cypress for the rest. Is well built but nothin fancy. Trey drug in from hoghuntin last night and they caught a big boar. They went fish giggin when they got here and boged the gig into a big gator. That wound up the giggin. I got a pic of the hog.

Latest posts