• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Acute vitamin B Deficiency Caused by ???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Re:
Exactly what I said earlier. Both products can be and usually are very variable in nutrient densities.
True, but we are talking about variable nutrient densities well above an animals necessary daily intake and for long periods of time. We are talking toxic poisonous levels.
SL

Sir Loin said:
Re:
Exactly what I said earlier. Both products can be and usually are very variable in nutrient densities.
True, but we are talking about variable nutrient densities well above an animals necessary daily intake and for long periods of time. We are talking toxic poisonous levels.
SL

Simple solution...if you are having problems don't feed it! It's not going to stop the overwhelming majority of feedlot rations from containing byproduct feeds...simply put they are lowest cost ingredients that have tremendous economic and nutritional value when used as a component in a balanced ration. Toxic levels or not...dilution is the solution. They are incredibly valuable to the economic viability of cattle feeding.

WVGenetics
Key words: CORN GLUTEN, TOXIC POISONING, POLIO, PEM, white-eye

Re:
Simple solution...if you are having problems don't feed it!
That is pretty obvious don't ya thing.
But the problem is with that statement is you don't know you have a problem until the damage is done and it is irreversible. If we all had hind site we would all be millionaires.

Back in 04, when I first started haveing cattle problems there was never any mention of it possibly being toxic or how to fed it. As a matter of fact it was being promoted as the best thing since sliced bread, and still is!
It took me 4 postmortems and 3 different vets, who finally gave up, and I was forced to determine the cause on my own.

And yes, it was a management problem. I should have known better then to believe the BS salesman, the press, and the President of the United States and all his propaganda ministers.
But it look and smelled ( dry ) just like ground corn my grandfather and father and I have feed for as long as I remember.

Re:
It's not going to stop the overwhelming majority of feedlot rations from containing byproduct feeds..
I have no problems with feeding other "byproduct feeds", just this one. Nor do I have a problem with what feedlots do except for these three:
1. They maybe be poisoning our children
2. This may severely damage the cattle industry if 1 turns out to be true at some later date
3. I could be held liable through age and source for the actions of the feed lot.

Funny how the defenders of this product always refer to it being only used in a feedlot situation when it is being sold to commercial herdsman who's cattle, both beef and dairy, will probably never see a feedlot.

.simply put they are lowest cost ingredients that have tremendous economic and nutritional value when used as a component in a balanced ration.
I will agree with the "nutritional value " and totally disagree with you on " lowest cost ingredients that have tremendous economic ".
First my distributor prices are:
Ground corn: $288 per ton
Corn Gluten (Staley ) $235 per ton.
That's only a $ 53 per ton savings. Hardly worth the risk of toxic poisoning your cattle on its own.
And as you are, as I have now learned, suppose to only use it as 10% of the dry matter mix the saving per batch mixed, wouldn't even pay for storage and the fuel and time to load it.
10 % is 100 lbs of corn gluten to 900 lbs of ground corn to make a ton mix . It's easier to just dump another 100 lbs more of dry corn in the mixer while you are there.
So it has no economical befit that I can see.
If there is a savings it's chump change!!
Where is the savings?

Re:
Toxic levels or not...dilution is the solution. [/quote
Well then it has to be publicized so all cattlemen don't fall head first into the same trap I did. And I know 6 who are doing right now as we speak even after I have warned them.
And I know one dairymen who did stop using it and his milk production went up 500 lbs the first week.

And just incase you think I am full of BS here are some pics of it at my place back in 04.
SL

feed.jpg

feed4.jpg

And just incase you think I am full of BS here are some pics of it at my place back in 04.
SL

feed.jpg

feed4.jpg
[/quote]

My point is you said here are some pics of it at my place
back in 04. But the date on the pictures show '06.
That's all. Do you have a chip on your shoulder, per chance?

Faster horses

Re:
My point is you said here are some pics of it at my place
back in 04. But the date on the pictures show '06.
OH, I get it now! Right.
Late 04 was when we first started having problems and it was 06 when we new what was causing it and I took the pics.
Sorry I didn't make my self clear.

Re:
Do you have a chip on your shoulder, per chance?
No! I'm just slow sometimes.
SL

Latest posts