• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

AFBF now supports MCOOL...again

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Reaction score
R-CALF USA applauds the American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF), whose registered voting delegates on Tuesday – by an electronic vote during AFBF's 89th annual meeting held in New Orleans – voted 62 percent to 38 percent, or 212-132, to support mandatory country-of-origin labeling. R-CALF USA Region IX Director George Chambers serves as an AFBF delegate for the state of Georgia and attended the meeting.

"This was the third time that I've taken the delegate floor to speak on the Georgia Farm Bureau's behalf," said Chambers. "Georgia Farm Bureau is an affiliate of AFBF, but I've told my R-CALF friends that even though we're affiliated with AFBF, in many situations – especially with competition reforms and COOL – that our policy is almost verbatim the same as R-CALF's policy.

"The (AFBF) convention is over, so this is a done deal," he continued. "What surprised me as much as anything was the margin, and also, once I yielded the floor back, there was no one that got up and spoke in opposition. It wasn't even debated."

Chambers, citing polls that show that consumers want to know where their food comes from, also told the delegates, in part: "I have looked in this policy book and seen no less than 18 references to buy American or to the promotion of United States product – both domestic and abroad. How then, can we not remedy this contradiction in ideology? Our trading partners have asked for it, and most importantly, the American consumer has demanded it. In light of recent national food scares, like the Topps meat recall – which was proven to be of non-domestic origin – had we had mandatory country-of-origin in place, perhaps Topps Meat might still be in business…

"I leave you with this thought, and this is true. This morning when I woke up in the New Orleans Hotel, I used French-milled soap when I got in the shower. The bath cloth I put it on was made in Israel . The towel I dried off with was made in Bangladesh . The underwear that I put on was a product of Mexico . I went to the lobby and had breakfast: steak and eggs. I asked the chef what the country of origin of my strip steak was. He said, 'I have no idea.' I said, 'Can you find out?' He said, 'I have no way of knowing.' Fellow voting delegates, I leave you with this: I know what I put on my butt, but I have no idea what I put in my gut."

Chambers' entire statement is copied at the end of this news release.

"It's just great that Farm Bureau has come over to help support R-CALF, and I, being a member of the Illinois Farm Bureau, think it's just a good thing," said R-CALF USA Member Fred Baker, of Illinois. "It just shows good judgment and it's good for the AFBF membership."

Baker has been a delegate to AFBF's convention from his county and he serves on the Illinois Farm Bureau's Governmental Affairs Committee.

"We've seen time after time, whether it's the Zogby poll or university studies, people want to know where their food comes from," Baker continued. "We can't ignore what the consumers are telling us, so I applaud AFBF. Any more, there are very few farm groups that don't support COOL. Sometimes folks are a little late to the party, but we're glad to have them."

"The (AFBF) membership has voted, and hopefully will give direction to the Farm Bureau administration to continue to support a position that many state Farm Bureau chapters have supported for years," said R-CALF USA COOL Committee Chair Mike Schultz.

Chambers' statement:

"Fellow Delegates and Farm Bureau Members,

Recognizing and appreciating the fact that we have dealt with this issue many times in the past, I think that it's time to finally put the baby to bed. An August 2007 Zogby poll showed that 90 percent of over 6,573 people showed that Americans believe that knowing the country of origin would allow for safer food choices. Moreover than that, 94 percent said that consumers have the right to know.

A November 2007 Reuters poll of over 8,656 American housewives showed that if finally afforded the opportunity to know the country of origin of their food that they fed their families, they would overwhelmingly purchase that of U.S. origin, thus creating a premium-pay situation for the U.S. farmer and rancher. I'm not aware of anyone in this room or in American agriculture who would not be in favor of receiving a premium for the product they produce.

All of our major trading partners – especially those in the all-important Pacific Rim – have established as one of the conditions for re-establishing full trade of beef is that it is distinctly of United States ' origin.

Ladies and Gentlemen, how can we can we assure this to our trading partners without mandatory COOL? Considerable time and effort by most all industry groups went into finding a workable solution to COOL in the House markup of the pending Farm Bill. They must have done something right if they can get both houses of Congress to agree on anything. In fact, numerous amendments that were offered – none of which dealt with country of origin. It was accepted into the Senate markup in exactly the same way as offered in the House. Even the traditional industry groups that had historically opposed Mandatory Country of Origin have come out and publicly said this is a workable version.

The United States is the only country in the Western Hemisphere without country-of-origin labeling. This includes countries like Honduras , Nicaragua , El Salvador and Chile , all of which, in most instances, we in the United States view as third-world in development. But it would appear to me, that on this issue, we are the ones who have been left behind.

We in Farm Bureau say that we are the voice of agriculture, and I truly believe that we are. We stand here and purport that we have the safest, most abundant food supply in the world, yet, as an organization, we haven't seemed to have been proud enough of that fact to support mandatory labeling of our products on the world market.

I have looked in this policy book and seen no less than 18 references to buy American or to the promotion of United States products – both domestic and abroad. How then, can we not remedy this contradiction in ideology?

Our trading partners have asked for it, and most importantly, the American consumer has demanded it. In light of recent national food scares, like the Topps meat recall – which was proven to be of non-domestic origin – had we had mandatory country-of-origin in place, perhaps Topps Meat might still be in business. Congress has provided for it in its markup, and it is time that we give them what they want.

I leave you with this thought, and this is true. This morning when I woke up in the New Orleans Hotel, I used French-milled soap when I got in the shower. The bathcloth I put it on was made in Israel . The towel I dried off with was made in Bangladesh . The underwear that I put on was a product of Mexico . I went to the lobby and had breakfast: steak and eggs. I asked the chef what the country of origin of my strip steak was. He said, "I have no idea." I said, "Can you find out?" He said, "I have no way of knowing." Fellow voting delegates, I leave you with this: I know what I put on my butt, but I have no idea what I put in my gut."

A Jan. 15, 2007, AFBF news release states: "The policy approved at the annual meeting will guide AFBF's legislative and regulatory efforts throughout 2008."

What amazes me is that the AFBF claimed to be in touch with its members for so long but were left in the dust on this issue. Consumers, producers, and many others have wanted MCOOL (it shouldn't even have to have the M but for the opposition to the Grocer's Association and AFBF) for a long time but now they are demanding it.

We need to look into the claims of the AFBF to see why they were out of step with the majority for so long while making the claim that they are run by the membership and are grass roots.

They need to fire their chief economist in D.C. , Bob Young, for one, who sells out the interest of the members when it is at all possible, only bowing down to grassroots pressure when it reaches a certain point.

Tex- one of the National delegates that serves on the Cattle/beef committee told me that before, the overwhelming majority of the Cattle/Beef comittee were in favor of Mandatory M-COOL-- but that the chicken and hog committees, that are overwhelmingly influenced by the big Corporate vertically integrated (another word for Corporate owned) chicken/hog producers like Tyson had voted it down and went with the Packer proposal of "voluntary" ID....

Now we only have NCBA still beating the Packer driven "voluntary" drum... :( :mad:

Oldtimer said:
Tex- one of the National delegates that serves on the Cattle/beef committee told me that before, the overwhelming majority of the Cattle/Beef comittee were in favor of Mandatory M-COOL-- but that the chicken and hog committees, that are overwhelmingly influenced by the big Corporate vertically integrated (another word for Corporate owned) chicken/hog producers like Tyson had voted it down and went with the Packer proposal of "voluntary" ID....

Now we only have NCBA still beating the Packer driven "voluntary" drum... :( :mad:

Oh, I know that story well. The AFBF and even many state FBs can only claim to be grass roots by lying through their teeth.

The management who are bowing down to corporate pressures instead the grassroots they claim to represent should be fired. That includes Bob Young and the lobbyists they hire to lie to Congressmen.

A Consumer Reports survey, released on July 10, shows 92% of Americans want their food labeled. "Who can blame them,"

After the Hamburger fiasco and Con-Agri Banquets pot pies this fall , the Percentage might be 99% now !

U.S. Cattlemen Applaud Ag Secretary's Intention To Implement COOL

USCA (February 18, 20008) - The U.S. Cattlemen's Association (USCA) today applauded Agriculture Secretary Ed Schafer's statement on Wednesday, February 13, that he expects to meet the deadline of September 30, 2008 for implementation of the country of origin labeling law (COOL). Schafer's statement came during an appearance before the House Agriculture Appropriations Subcomittee.

Committee Chairman Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) told Schafer, "We need to make sure COOL is on track and on time" and that American consumers should have the opportunity "not to choose products that come from countries with bad safety records." DeLauro pointed out that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) was supposed to write a new rule for COOL implementation by January 17, but did not publish it.

"I expect to meet the deadline," Schafer responded. When DeLauro asked why implementation has taken so long, Schafer said, "I've been asking the same questions."

Schafer's statements came during an appearance before the Subcommittee to explain the Bush Administration's proposed budget recommendations for FY09.

In its FY2009 budget, the Bush Administration has proposed a fee on grocery stores to pay for implementation, but Congress has not reacted positively. The administration is proposing to charge each of the grocery stores across the country a "user fee", which would raise an estimated $9.5 billion annually. "We've been trying not to create additional costs," commented DeLauro, who also noted that retailers are already objecting to the fee. DeLauro said she hopes the fee proposal is not just another delay tactic.

"Cattle producers have waited patiently for the implementation of COOL," said Danni Beer, USCA Director and COOL Committee Chairman. "Repeated delays have frustrated producers as well as consumers. I am pleased that Secretary Schafer is resolved to implement meat labeling according to the law and according to the September 2008 deadline. USCA encourages Secretary Schafer to review the rules supporting fish and seafood labeling in order to understand how a country of origin labeling program can be implemented with least cost and least burden to producers, processors and retailers. We need not make this any more difficult than it needs to be. USCA stands ready to assist and advise the agency with its rule making."

Yep-- the only ones still fighting M-COOL are the groups that are representing the Packers over the cattle producers-- the AMI, USDA, and NCBA.... :( :mad:

Don't forget the Grocery Manufactures Assoc. and PMA.
The Supermarkets Don't want it,Walmart???? on
the otherhand needs imported BEEF!

PORKER said:
Don't forget the Grocery Manufactures Assoc. and PMA.
The Supermarkets Don't want ,Walmart???? on
the otherhand needs imported BEEF!

Yep- but much of their opposition has just come about because of the Packer controlleds AMI/NCBA/USDA/Bush Administrations frantic attempt to kill it by sticking all additional costs on the retailers...

All of which long ago lost contact with what the consumer/populace of the country want on most issues..... :(

This just from FMI ; Retailers need to demand a verifiable audit trail from their suppliers, such as packing houses, who in turn will probably attempt to shift their additional liability and cost burden back up the supply chain to their suppliers, namely, farmers. If the added costs of labelling are passed back from the retailer to producers, this could mean that farmers will face lower profit margins.

Indeed, with more than 7.5 months to prepare for the mandatory phase of the program, supermarkets and wholesalers are already hearing advice from the Food Marketing Institute (FMI) on how to pass back to their suppliers the costs and liability associated with the country-of-origin labelling requirements. Retailers are being advised to renegotiate buying contracts to require that all products be branded with the country-of-origin information, and that all suppliers maintain "audited proof" of product origin in the event of a government inspection.

PORKER said:
This just from FMI ; Retailers need to demand a verifiable audit trail from their suppliers, such as packing houses, who in turn will probably attempt to shift their additional liability and cost burden back up the supply chain to their suppliers, namely, farmers. If the added costs of labelling are passed back from the retailer to producers, this could mean that farmers will face lower profit margins.

Indeed, with more than 7.5 months to prepare for the mandatory phase of the program, supermarkets and wholesalers are already hearing advice from the Food Marketing Institute (FMI) on how to pass back to their suppliers the costs and liability associated with the country-of-origin labelling requirements. Retailers are being advised to renegotiate buying contracts to require that all products be branded with the country-of-origin information, and that all suppliers maintain "audited proof" of product origin in the event of a government inspection.

The thing is- that there are many feedlots- and slaughter plants that are already capable- and have been doing it for the Asian/Japanese trade going back at least 7-8 years, since they have been requiring COOL + affidavits/documentation for that time from our area.....

I heard reports that the Grocery boys lobby spent over 50 mil to take COOL down. I think the meat and produce industry is close behind in their spending.Of Course we got Canada ,Mexico,Austrialia, ETC. spending their hearts out too to stop COOL.

PORKER said:
I heard reports that the Grocery boys lobby spent over 50 mil to take COOL down. I think the meat and produce industry is close behind in their spending.Of Course we got Canada ,Mexico,Austrialia, ETC. spending their hearts out too to stop COOL.

It would be nice to know how much NCBA spent putting their efforts against the wishes of the majority of the nations cattlemen and again backing the Packer interests- but as usual we won't since their leadership hide so much from everyone (including their members) behind subsecret organizations like Ditmers one man foundation and the Meat and Poulty Coalition- which are both nothing but Tyson/Cargil/AMI/Retailer funded puppet groups (the same as NCBA) :roll: :( :( :( :mad:

PORKER said:
A Consumer Reports survey, released on July 10, shows 92% of Americans want their food labeled. "Who can blame them,"

After the Hamburger fiasco and Con-Agri Banquets pot pies this fall , the Percentage might be 99% now !

Could/would Mcool be of a benefit from the latest meat debacle? or could/would consumers look to imported beef as possibly being safer and/or more humanely handled.
Though I support the concept of labeling, I personally am concerned that it may lead to lower price trends for domestic beef. If imported beef is sold at a discount, and the consumer finds that it is of equal qualitiy, (or through a mess that was found in CA.) will domestic beef need to be priced at imported prices or lower to sell? What would that scenario do to the price complex?
As I said I believe in the concept of labeling. So much so, that I have source-verified my calves the last 5 years, and used a PVP the last 2, and have registered premises. I am proud of the product I raise, therefore feel compelled to do everything I can to validate my product.
I see Mcool as a benefit to consumers to make choices, unfortunatley, the choice may not always benefit those who are most vocal. It goes back to an old adage "be careful what you wish for".

The consumers surveys show that most US consumers still think US produced products are the safest in the world by a large percentage-altho they also indicate discontent with the past several years of cutting back on oversight-especially on imported products...
While they recognize there are some holes and faults in our oversight and regulations- they know full well that some countries have essentially none....

MTAngus,
We can't compete on price - don't even want to go there. The day that we decide price is our angle is the beginning of the end. There will always be those that buy on price alone like there is in any product, but you can't build a business on them unless you're the low price leader and we're not nor do we want to be.

Good for us, price is not the single largest qualifier for many people. Quality and safety still mean something to a lot of people, and that's where the money is at, anyway. We need to market our product as such, and keep on the dang government to maintain high standards so we don't get made out to be liars.

MtAngus50, are you selling through an independent branded beef program that, hopefully, is paying you a final payment based on carcass yield and quality? That's how we producers can separate ourselves from what happened in CA. and get a premium price from consumers! Believe me, there are plenty of consumers willing to pay premium prices for product they can be assured is safe and of high quality!!!

Latest posts