• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Agriculture Universities and/or Colleges?

Angus Cattle Shower

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
2,631
Reaction score
0
Location
CANADA!!!
I'm going to be graduated here in the next two weeks, and I already know I'm not going to school this fall. I want to work for a few years before I go so I don't have a huge student loan to worry about while I'm back in school. However, I'd still like to be taking online classes. Does anyone know of a good university with a good ag program that has online classes?
 

lightninboy

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
681
Reaction score
0
Location
NE South Dakota
Basically anything you learn in ag school can be found on the Internet unless you want hands-on experience or go into depth in a certain field.

Talk about ag a little over beers. That's all the ag schooling a farmer/rancher needs.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
4,364
Reaction score
0
Location
Heart of Texas
lightninboy said:
Basically anything you learn in ag school can be found on the Internet unless you want hands-on experience or go into depth in a certain field.

Talk about ag a little over beers. That's all the ag schooling a farmer/rancher needs.

That'll get you just smart enough to get you in trouble if you can remember what you talked about.
 

Angus Cattle Shower

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
2,631
Reaction score
0
Location
CANADA!!!
lightninboy said:
Basically anything you learn in ag school can be found on the Internet unless you want hands-on experience or go into depth in a certain field.

Talk about ag a little over beers. That's all the ag schooling a farmer/rancher needs.

I thought about that, as my Dad doesn't have a University or post secondary education. It would be ok if we were talking about this twenty or thirty years ago, but right now a farmer doesn't just farm, he runs a (multi)million dollar enterprise and it kneeds to be treated in such a fashion.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,695
Reaction score
16
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
YOu are already smarter than lighteningboy, Alex.
Glad to hear you are planning to go on and learn all you can.
You will be successful!
Remember ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING.
We've got a couple of characters on here who needs an
attitude adjustment, but it's not you. :D
 

per

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
6,430
Reaction score
0
Location
SW Alberta
Athabasca University is a good option. Excellent online profs and support.
 

Twister Frost

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
338
Reaction score
0
Location
South Dakota
Angus Cattle Shower said:
lightninboy said:
Basically anything you learn in ag school can be found on the Internet unless you want hands-on experience or go into depth in a certain field.

Talk about ag a little over beers. That's all the ag schooling a farmer/rancher needs.

I thought about that, as my Dad doesn't have a University or post secondary education. It would be ok if we were talking about this twenty or thirty years ago, but right now a farmer doesn't just farm, he runs a (multi)million dollar enterprise and it kneeds to be treated in such a fashion.

You're ahead of the curve, ACS, and I hope you find a school that will meet your needs. I know that education today is costly, but it seems to me you have a pretty good plan in mind. Make sure your on-line school is accredited, so you have no problems with transferring credits. Good Luck!
 

MN Farm Girl

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
538
Reaction score
0
Location
Southwest MN
I graduated in May and this fall I will be attending SDSU in Brookings, South Dakota with a double major in Agronomy and Animal Science with a minor in Ag Business. If you wanted to be in the U.S. Brookings offers amazing ag programs. I never looked at any other school. They offer pretty much anything you can think of. If ya have any questions, let me know!
 

lightninboy

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
681
Reaction score
0
Location
NE South Dakota
At least you've got enough sense to work a few years first.

Knowledge does you no good if you don't have the capital and the hustle.
 

Angus Cattle Shower

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
2,631
Reaction score
0
Location
CANADA!!!
I'm going to school in Olds, Alberta after I've worked enough to afford most of my tuition and living expenses. I know that much. But what I'm really looking for is online classes to take while I'm working st home so I can get a head start on things
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,925
Reaction score
28
Location
Big Muddy valley
Angus Cattle Shower said:
I'm going to school in Olds, Alberta after I've worked enough to afford most of my tuition and living expenses. I know that much. But what I'm really looking for is online classes to take while I'm working st home so I can get a head start on things


GO AGGIES :!: :D :D
 

MsSage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
4,716
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Panhandle Texas
I know most colleges offer most classes online. But that is down here.
If you want why dont you get your core classes ..english, math ect the first 2 years of your degree done online? If you want check out Texas A & M, NC State are two I KNOW are Ag based ..not sure of the cost you would incure.
Check out many under distance learning....I would assume Canada has the same thing at thier colleges.
 

OldDog/NewTricks

Well-known member
Joined
May 24, 2005
Messages
3,443
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dam End of Silicon Valley
Twister Frost said:
Angus Cattle Shower said:
lightninboy said:
Basically anything you learn in ag school can be found on the Internet unless you want hands-on experience or go into depth in a certain field.

Talk about ag a little over beers. That's all the ag schooling a farmer/rancher needs.

I thought about that, as my Dad doesn't have a University or post secondary education. It would be ok if we were talking about this twenty or thirty years ago, but right now a farmer doesn't just farm, he runs a (multi)million dollar enterprise and it kneeds to be treated in such a fashion.

You're ahead of the curve, ACS, and I hope you find a school that will meet your needs. I know that education today is costly, but it seems to me you have a pretty good plan in mind. Make sure your on-line school is accredited, so you have no problems with transferring credits. Good Luck!

MsSage said:
I know most colleges offer most classes online. But that is down here.
If you want why dont you get your core classes ..english, math ect the first 2 years of your degree done online? If you want check out Texas A & M, NC State are two I KNOW are Ag based ..not sure of the cost you would incure.
Check out many under distance learning....I would assume Canada has the same thing at thier colleges.

My Daughter Lived at home and went to a Junior College for 3 Years then San Jose State University for 3 Years (taking extra classes in both Places) - She wanted the education not the "Parties" Now SHE HAS 8) "NO COLLEGE DEBIT" 8)

Now she is taking "HR" Classes ON LINE - That is Hard and VERY EXPENSIVE

Also once you start working FULL TIME (and get used to the money) it is very hard to quite and go back to school... :mad:
 

Angus Cattle Shower

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
2,631
Reaction score
0
Location
CANADA!!!
OldDog/NewTricks said:
Twister Frost said:
Angus Cattle Shower said:
I thought about that, as my Dad doesn't have a University or post secondary education. It would be ok if we were talking about this twenty or thirty years ago, but right now a farmer doesn't just farm, he runs a (multi)million dollar enterprise and it kneeds to be treated in such a fashion.

You're ahead of the curve, ACS, and I hope you find a school that will meet your needs. I know that education today is costly, but it seems to me you have a pretty good plan in mind. Make sure your on-line school is accredited, so you have no problems with transferring credits. Good Luck!

MsSage said:
I know most colleges offer most classes online. But that is down here.
If you want why dont you get your core classes ..english, math ect the first 2 years of your degree done online? If you want check out Texas A & M, NC State are two I KNOW are Ag based ..not sure of the cost you would incure.
Check out many under distance learning....I would assume Canada has the same thing at thier colleges.

My Daughter Lived at home and went to a Junior College for 3 Years then San Jose State University for 3 Years (taking extra classes in both Places) - She wanted the education not the "Parties" Now SHE HAS 8) "NO COLLEGE DEBIT" 8)

Now she is taking "HR" Classes ON LINE - That is Hard and VERY EXPENSIVE

Also once you start working FULL TIME (and get used to the money) it is very hard to quite and go back to school... :mad:

I'm working now, then going to school so I can enjoy what I do later. No sense in going to school and starting a business when you'll be working for someone else to pay off the debt you collected getting your education. Just my opinion though.


And there's nothing wrong with a party once in a while 8) :lol:
 

Latest posts

Top