• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Aluminum Replacement Bumper

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond

Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of putting a replacement bumper on my 01 F350. It's black so I don't really like the idea of putting a black ranch hand or similar brand on it. Have been searching the net and looking at aluminum bumpers. Is anybody running one and if you are what are the pro's and con's. The 2 companies I have looked at are HERD and ALI ARC.

I can't testify as to the strength of the others, but my wife T-boned an old lady who pulled out in front of her at an intersection. My wife had the cruise set at 60mph and had 1200 pounds of horse feed in the back of our 97 Expedition. It happened so fast she never had time to even think of hitting the brakes. Airbags deployed, and there were no injuries to my wife or her neice who was riding with her, or to the two little old ladies who were in the other car. She hit the other vehicle right behind the right front passenger door, and pretty well tore the car in two from there back. The Expedition sustained a slight wrinkle in the hood and a severely broken frame. The Ranch Hand front bumper replacement I had hanging on the front of it was not tweaked in the slightest, and I later sold it to a kid with a 97 F150.

The insurance guy who came around couldn't believe that the Expy sustained hardly any cosmetic damage. According to him, had the Ranch Hand not been there, the motor would have wound up in the front seat with my wife and neice, causing perhaps fatal injuries.

Ranch Hand will paint to match, I think, if you ask them nice and pay the extra.

EVERYTHING I OWN THAT CAN HAVE A RANCH HAND ON IT...DOES!!!

loomixguy said:
I can't testify as to the strength of the others, but my wife T-boned an old lady who pulled out in front of her at an intersection. My wife had the cruise set at 60mph and had 1200 pounds of horse feed in the back of our 97 Expedition. It happened so fast she never had time to even think of hitting the brakes. Airbags deployed, and there were no injuries to my wife or her neice who was riding with her, or to the two little old ladies who were in the other car. She hit the other vehicle right behind the right front passenger door, and pretty well tore the car in two from there back. The Expedition sustained a slight wrinkle in the hood and a severely broken frame. The Ranch Hand front bumper replacement I had hanging on the front of it was not tweaked in the slightest, and I later sold it to a kid with a 97 F150.

The insurance guy who came around couldn't believe that the Expy sustained hardly any cosmetic damage. According to him, had the Ranch Hand not been there, the motor would have wound up in the front seat with my wife and neice, causing perhaps fatal injuries.

Ranch Hand will paint to match, I think, if you ask them nice and pay the extra.

Yes... Our ford has a ranch hand and other than sticking out to far to fit in the garage, it is the cats meow.... Have never had to use it but I feel much safer with it.

I think that Ranchhand will paint them whatever color you want them.... maybe...as long as its black. Really, one of them said they would paint it what ever color you wanted.

We had an AliArc and we now have a Truck Defender. We've hit deer
and never had a problem. The aluminum ones are much lighter.
The Truck Defender doesn't have fog light holes in the right place for
our pickup and Mr FH would rather they did---the Herd does, but they
cost quite a bit more than the Truck Defender, which was pricey enough.
They are really stout made and they don't bend into the pickup if you
hit something like some of the chrome grill/bumper guards do.

The Truck Defenders are made in Vale, SD. You can buy them direct.

I have two Ali-Arcs one on a 20004 Chevy and one on a 2007 Chevy. IMO there are much better ones on the market. Every one I have seen has been bent up one way or another. I actually just ordered a truck defender for a 2006 Chevy that I just put a bale bed on. I tried to get a herd but they were much more expensive and the dealer said he didn't even know when he could get one. Seems that company is catering to the oil field first. The truck defenders look get but time will tell how tough they are.

I know of a lot of people that have Ali arc and looked at the herd on the Internet. Neither one offers enough protection for the grill in my opinion a pheasant will cause 500 dollars damage if it hits in the middle of the grill. I have a steel one that looks identical to a ranch hand bumper replacement and grill guard. They are heavy but I think they would be hard to destroy. Probably be cheaper to just have one custom painted than buy aluminum.

loomixguy said:

do you think a ranch hand bumper would have helped my cousin Andy when he piled into the Massey Tractors the other night???

With 380 feet of skid marks on the highway? The cops imagine he was running 50-70mph when it began. After looking at the skid marks and seeing the tractor that was totalled, and what was left of Andy's pickup, I'd say he was doing in excess of 100mph. Drunk as hell and not a scratch. God was looking out for drunk fools that night.

NO the Ranch Hand wouldn't have made a difference, since he didn't hit that Massey head on.

I'm glad he hit that Massey. If he hadn't, that Doodge might have rolled into my place and introduced itself to my house!!!!! I'm serious!!!!

I have a Ali Arc on a Dodge and it is not near as stout as a Ranch hand. Both sides of the Ali Arc should have gussets back to the middle to provide extra strength and a horizontal plate should be added to set tight against the front end of the frame to support it from tipping back on impact. From the factory all that hold it from tipping back is the 4 bolts through the frame. We have bounced two deer off the Ali Arc with minimal damage and half a dozen or better off the ranch hand with no damage.

My thoughts for what they are worth

loomixguy said:
With 380 feet of skid marks on the highway? The cops imagine he was running 50-70mph when it began. After looking at the skid marks and seeing the tractor that was totalled, and what was left of Andy's pickup, I'd say he was doing in excess of 100mph. Drunk as hell and not a scratch. God was looking out for drunk fools that night.

NO the Ranch Hand wouldn't have made a difference, since he didn't hit that Massey head on.

I'm glad he hit that Massey. If he hadn't, that Doodge might have rolled into my place and introduced itself to my house!!!!! I'm serious!!!!

I saw a few pictures, they said he damaged 5 tractors, even flipped one of them over..... lucky guy. the cops asked him what happened, he said " that's what happens when you drink Crown Royal straight "

jigs said:
loomixguy said:

I saw a few pictures, they said he damaged 5 tractors, even flipped one of them over..... lucky guy. the cops asked him what happened, he said " that's what happens when you drink Crown Royal straight "

Jigs, you and Kolanuraven sure have trouble picking out decent cousins. :wink:

Soapweed said:
jigs said:
loomixguy said:

Jigs, you and Kolanuraven sure have trouble picking out decent cousins. :wink:
as long as Kola is not my cousin, I will be just fine !

jigs said:
loomixguy said:

He hit 2. The big 'un parked furthest south, missed the next 2, and clipped the bucket and a front tire & wheel on a compact with a loader. He DID NOT flip any over. The compact received a new loader bucket, tire, & rim and went to it's new home in Iowa yet that same day.

Latest posts