• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Amber Waves of Grain......

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Stretch

Reaction score
Well finally got a chance to start wheat harvest. Isn't like I have a lot to do (somewhere about 200 acres) but with everything else, I like to get with it and get it done... I started off this year doing about 80 acres for my uncle who doesn't have his own combine. I started out the day with Cody ridding shotgun and ended the day with.....

Emily... 8)
Wheat2007.jpg

It went well and actually found some grain....
Wheat2007-1.jpg

It got a little dusty later in the day but that was fine by me as it worked much better dry than tough like it was when we started around noon.. The wheat was testing in the mid 12's and 60-61. The yield was a bit off in the 30-35 range but with the frost and a good crop of weeds trying their best to run it over I sure don't feel to bad..
Wheat2007-2.jpg

Wheat2007-3.jpg

I lost Cody to a baseball game.

Going, Going, Gone........... :shock: :lol:
CodyBaseball1.jpg

He really likes playing ball and is not to bad at it. As long as I can keep him from watching it on TV and thinking he is homerun machine..... :roll:

For now harvest is on hold as we got an inch here at home and the field that my machine is on got about 2.50" and town got near 5.00". Hope to get back at it by the weekend and get it done. With only about 100 acres left a couple days should pretty much get me done. Unless someone else comes calling for some help... :wink:

Canadian_Cowgirl
You harvest this early?? We havest late july early august!!!

We usually start harvest along about now give or take a few days. I hardly ever remember either not hurrying to get done by the 4th of July or being done shortly after. Around here everything is Hard Red Winter wheat planted in late Sept-early Oct. A good bit of it is after the corn-soybeans come off in the fall and no-tilled into the bean or corn stubble.

Oh well i guess if the springs good some peopel would be harvesting winter wheat by now!! :lol: Barley, Canola, Wheat, soybeans. would come off late July early August.

Our wheat won't be harvested until late Aug. early Sept....is that the normal hieght for your wheat? Ours is usually quiet a bit taller then that,even the winter wheat. I love a ripe wheat field :)

Mrs.Greg
is that the normal hieght for your wheat?

It is usually about a foot taller than it is this year. I think the frost had a lot to do with that, but is also seems like the they are breeding wheat a bit shorter as a trade off for better grain production. There are a lot of fields that just plain look terrible (thin and poor) from the frost. I much prefer a taller crop so I have more I can bale for bedding. I usually plant at 2 bushels per acre and want to try to plant it thicker this coming fall with the idea that maybe it will be cleaner and grow bigger. I hate weeds and want to get more straw to use in the ration for winter feed. I can remember as a kid that dad would try to plow and if he didn't bale off some of the straw he couldn't get the rest to go through the plow it was so thick. Awe the good ole days.... :wink:

Great pictures Stretch!!! My guys will get the fever if they see these pictures!!!! Our wheat is just starting to turn...... Nice combine, you know nothing runs like a deere!!!

The wheat is jsut about ready here for combining.. I saw some done earlier but I think they might have just cut and cured it for hay instead of grain because of the frost doing so much damage... We don't see a lot of wheat around here but we do a little. Oats are getting close to ready now too if I remember right (I would need to go look for some as again, not a common crop at all)... We are the only ones who plant Barley but we do it for hay or grazing and we already grazed it off..The dry May and early June really set it back.. Start the cows on it and we get 4 inches of rain, isn't that always how it works?

we have a lot of guys around here reporting yields of less than 20 ! and test weights in the low 50's. pretty sad

here in my part of southeast neb people started at the beginning of the week but moisture was around 16 -18 so they quit. nobody quite knows yeild yet cuz they didnt cut enough. i dont think its gonna be too great cuz of all the moisture we had. tough for my dad cuz hes a seed dealer. good luck with the rest of your crop.

Katrina Wrote
Great pictures Stretch!!! My guys will get the fever if they see these pictures!!!! Our wheat is just starting to turn...... Nice combine, you know nothing runs like a deere!!!

Thanks.. The fever huh... :wink: Maybe I can pitch in a bit to pay my debt when I'm up your way... 8) Considering it is only a 6620 with a ton of hrs on it it serves me well I sure can't complain. Thank goodness for my custom work after putting over half my row crop in CRP a couple yrs back I really don't need it for myself. Be nice in a few yrs though to have all that pasture (mine not rented :wink: ) close to home.. 8)

Latest posts