• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

An Open Offer to the USDA & CFIA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

bse-tester

Reaction score
As of today, I am posting, right here on Ranchers.net, an open offering to the USDA and their Canadian counterpart, the CFIA, the opportunity to each use our BSE Urine Test for a period of one (1) year each or one (1) million tests each, whichever comes first, completely free, wherein they each can conduct BSE tests within their National Herds. Call it, if you will, "Pilot Projects," so that they can do it without having to worry about validation. We shall be well into our validation process anyway.

I personally will even cover the US$50,000.00 cost of producing the antibodies for the test protocol.

Upon the end of that first year, I would like them to come to the table and say whether or not they are prepared to accept the fact that testing for BSE at the National level is an asset to the Risk Management of the North American Herd and an enhancement for the marketing of the beef and cattle producers products!!! Also, if they are satisfied that the test works and especially if they detect some infected animals while using our test, I would like both the CFIA and the USDA to sanction our validation process.

How much easier can this be folks??? It will cost them nothing to do this other than their own lab costs which they have now anyway!!!

I will supply them the test formula directly to their own authorized laboratories (under strict confidentiality, non-competition and non-disclosure agreements) and let them use it as they wish - for a complete year or for one million tests each at no cost to them whatsoever.

Let us see if they have what it takes to take us up on this offer??? Ron.

Don't hide your light under a bushel Ron, You had better make a written offer right to the CFIA and USDA cause as much as we like to think everything we post here is taken a gospel and read buy everyone I don't think that is the case.

Hey Ron, I think BMR may be right. I'm not sure that many USDA/CFIA folks visit ranchers.net.......... but you might try this.........
Those USDA/CFIA people probably have trouble sleeping at night,you know, with all the guilt about putting consumer's health at risk and screwing producers every day and all. :roll: Stay with me now Ron.... I'm thinking that when those people can't sleep at night they turn on the TV at 3:00AM.....see where I'm going Ronnie????
That's right!!!!! An INFO-MERCIAL!!!! You could produce one and have it broadcast right between the "thigh-master" and the "abdominizer".
Heck, You could even offer to throw in a "Patty-Stacker" with every test kit sold.......you know, just so people could quickly and easily make patties out of all that super safe BSE tested ground beef they would have access to if they ponied up for your te$t.

Just trying to help, Buddy!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Don't hide your light under a bushel Ron, You had better make a written offer right to the CFIA and USDA cause as much as we like to think everything we post here is taken a gospel and read buy everyone I don't think that is the case.

Heck, we did that already you guys. This is just the third or fourth reminder - I figured this might get noticed on here!!! Ron.

TimH wrote:

That's right!!!!! An INFO-MERCIAL!!!! You could produce one and have it broadcast right between the "thigh-master" and the "abdominizer".
Heck, You could even offer to throw in a "Patty-Stacker" with every test kit sold.......you know, just so people could quickly and easily make patties out of all that super safe BSE tested ground beef they would have access to if they ponied up for your te$t.

I can see it now Timmy boy, "Dial 1-900-TEST KIT" The only problem is these days, you are probably right, but I would likely get stuck between some add for the latest diamondelle earings and those lose weight offers!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

bse-tester said:
TimH wrote:

I can see it now Timmy boy, "Dial 1-900-TEST KIT" The only problem is these days, you are probably right, but I would likely get stuck between some add for the latest diamondelle earings and those lose weight offers!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Good Heaven's!!! A "900" number,even!!! Who you gonna' give the profits from that to Ron??? :roll: :lol:

PS; I hear Sally Struthers is looking for work...... although viewers may have trouble distinguishing her from the stock footage of that moldy old British holstein stumbling around that I just know you will show in your info-mercial.

TimH worte:

PS; I hear Sally Struthers is looking for work...... although viewers may have trouble distinguishing her from the stock footage of that moldy old British holstein stumbling around that I just know you will show in your info-mercial.

She's a bit past it me thinks - besides, she is busy flooging subscriptions for some weight loss magazine and selling, or eating, Girl Guide Cookies.

I think perhaps that some producers should get off their butts and suggest to their respective agencies that they take BSE Tester up on his offer. They are, afterall, government agencies and subject to the demands of the voting populace.

Yet I see nothing but criticism coming from the peanut gallery. I wonder if you guys are scared that BSE Testers test may actually work, and it will leave your asses hanging out? Or do you have a vested interest in keeping the border closed to OTMs? Or perhaps you like sending paltry amounts of beef into the highest dollar markets, while letting US based packing plants steal our stock and send it into a low dollar market?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but heres a guy with a product that _may_ actually make a difference in our ability to export large amounts of beef easily, and instead of approaching him with an open mind, you subject him to criticism and snide remarks, without any idea of whether his products may work or not.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
I think perhaps that some producers should get off their butts and suggest to their respective agencies that they take BSE Tester up on his offer. They are, afterall, government agencies and subject to the demands of the voting populace.

Yet I see nothing but criticism coming from the peanut gallery. I wonder if you guys are scared that BSE Testers test may actually work, and it will leave your asses hanging out? Or do you have a vested interest in keeping the border closed to OTMs? Or perhaps you like sending paltry amounts of beef into the highest dollar markets, while letting US based packing plants steal our stock and send it into a low dollar market?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but heres a guy with a product that _may_ actually make a difference in our ability to export large amounts of beef easily, and instead of approaching him with an open mind, you subject him to criticism and snide remarks, without any idea of whether his products may work or not.

Rod

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Unbelieveable! The man offers to share his cake with you & you stand there and p!ss all over it! Were you guys from New Orleans at one time?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :?

Oldtimer said:
DiamondSCattleCo said:

Rod

Oldtimer you take the cake. :roll: you are on this thread encourageing this sarcasm after you posted an article dated July 2006 where the scenitists that are working on this very test have this to say
The key issue is whether the test is effective.

"We have a test that not only works, but works each and every time," Arnold said. All it needs is formal validation, which may take up to two years, and the acceptance of regulators.

Narang and Case Western researchers reported in 2005 that the urine test could reliably detect a harmless form of the prion protein that is blamed for BSE and variant CJD. It could also detect the bad form -- if the prion was first added directly to the urine.

They said their findings "may lay the foundation for a future technique," if in fact the bad prion can turn up naturally in urine.

"It needs a lot of work still," Ayuna Dagdanova, one of the test's researchers at the U.S. prion surveillance centre, said from Cleveland.

Without solid data it's not possible to say if they are close to detecting BSE in urine, she said.

"No one actually knows.

Rod, Don't you think that maybe just maybe Ron should do a bit more work on this test? Say find out for sure if the bad prions do actually occur in the urine naturally before he asks the North American producers to demand that the USDA and the CFIA use their labs, labs that are already over worked doing the recommended BSE testing with an approved test, to see if his test does work when Bad prions are NOT ADDED TO THE URINE???? You yourself in your little sarcasic post used MAY work. Isn't it up to Ron to prove it DOES work not the USDA and the CFIA?????

Tam, I never made any claims that it would work, and even Ron has stated that they are still in the development phase. What I find completely rediculous is that:

1) The CFIA has an opportunity to see whether the test works or not, for FREE. FREE. But instead they do nothing.

2) That the gallery on here has absolutely nothing to offer but criticism without having any clue whether Ron's test works or not.

If someone came to me and said they had a new diesel pickup truck for sale that got 50 mpg, had 600 HP, would tow 50,000 lbs safely AND they offered me free use for 3 months with no requirement to buy afterwards, I think I'd be completely insane not to take them up on their offer. Instead, you feel they should prove the claims before I tried it for free?

Even if its only a 1 in 10000000 chance of it working, its worth it. Think of the opportunity for our beef in the world export markets if we can GUARANTEE BSE free beef of all ages for a $20 test. We have the best consumer beef in the world right here (I say consumer, because Kobe isn't really a typical "consumer" beef). The world knows it, because Canadian beef wins beef trial after beef trial. And we have a chance, maybe a slight chance, but a chance to also be the SAFEST beef in the world, for free, and we're not all over it?

If Ron came to the CFIA and asked them to purchase kits, then I'd see requiring him to prove his claims. What he's offered is a win/win situation. He gets free field testing, which is definitely worth something to his company, and the CFIA gets an opportunity to utilize a new tool which, if successful, would drastically reduce the cost of testing animals and offer new hope to our floundering export markets. And yes, they are floundering. We have 1 REAL export market, the US. All these other export markets that are open to us are worthless unless they actually buy more than a semi truck load of beef.

Rod

bse-tester said:
As of today, I am posting, right here on Ranchers.net, an open offering to the USDA and their Canadian counterpart, the CFIA, the opportunity to each use our BSE Urine Test for a period of one (1) year each or one (1) million tests each, whichever comes first, completely free, wherein they each can conduct BSE tests within their National Herds. Call it, if you will, "Pilot Projects," so that they can do it without having to worry about validation. We shall be well into our validation process anyway.
I personally will even cover the US$50,000.00 cost of producing the antibodies for the test protocol.
Upon the end of that first year, I would like them to come to the table and say whether or not they are prepared to accept the fact that testing for BSE at the National level is an asset to the Risk Management of the North American Herd and an enhancement for the marketing of the beef and cattle producers products!!! Also, if they are satisfied that the test works and especially if they detect some infected animals while using our test, I would like both the CFIA and the USDA to sanction our validation process.

How much easier can this be folks??? It will cost them nothing to do this other than their own lab costs which they have now anyway!!!

I will supply them the test formula directly to their own authorized laboratories (under strict confidentiality, non-competition and non-disclosure agreements) and let them use it as they wish - for a complete year or for one million tests each at no cost to them whatsoever.

Sorry but this looks as if you are trying to use the discovery of BSE in N.A. and the fear within the industry to cut corners. Oldtimer posted a article that stated the reseachers that are working on this very test feel a lot of work still need to be done and here you are trying to use our fears to demand the CFIA and the USDA take you up on your offer to use their labs to prove whether or not the test actually works. Cutting corners has cost this industry enough so if you are so sure you have something, go through the proper channels and do it right. The right way would be to prove the test actually can detect bad prions without them having to be ADD to the urine. If the test can be proven and validated THEN take it to those agencies that are in charge of the testing which I doubt are taking information from ranchers.net to heart.

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
DiamondSCattleCo said:

Rod

Oldtimer you take the cake. :roll: you are on this thread encourageing this sarcasm after you posted an article dated July 2006 where the scenitists that are working on this very test have this to say

"We have a test that not only works, but works each and every time," Arnold said. All it needs is formal validation, which may take up to two years, and the acceptance of regulators.

Narang and Case Western researchers reported in 2005 that the urine test could reliably detect a harmless form of the prion protein that is blamed for BSE and variant CJD. It could also detect the bad form -- if the prion was first added directly to the urine.

They said their findings "may lay the foundation for a future technique," if in fact the bad prion can turn up naturally in urine.

"It needs a lot of work still," Ayuna Dagdanova, one of the test's researchers at the U.S. prion surveillance centre, said from Cleveland.

Without solid data it's not possible to say if they are close to detecting BSE in urine, she said.

"No one actually knows.

Rod, Don't you think that maybe just maybe Ron should do a bit more work on this test? Say find out for sure if the bad prions do actually occur in the urine naturally before he asks the North American producers to demand that the USDA and the CFIA use their labs, labs that are already over worked doing the recommended BSE testing with an approved test, to see if his test does work when Bad prions are NOT ADDED TO THE URINE???? You yourself in your little sarcasic post used MAY work. Isn't it up to Ron to prove it DOES work not the USDA and the CFIA?????

Tam- What are you talking about :???: Again :???: I think you been hitting the gin again....

I posted a news article pertaining to BSE testing-- just that, a news article...I didn't do any bolding or highlighting- I made no comments- pro or con... I just put it there as a source of info--But I get the feeling that you and some other Canucks don't want information...Don't ask- Don't tell, Don't look-Don't see and it will all go away :roll:

I have no idea whether the tests they discuss work or not- but I do have an idea that Ron has much more knowledge on the subject than you have....Or do you have a Phd out of Big Beaver U :???: TimH hasn't alluded to where his laboratory experience was gained or where his degrees come from either...

Personally I think it is quite rewarding that Ron has joined onto ranchersnet and given us his insight and experience with BSE- it definitely has given some new views that fit with many of the European studies I have read ... Yes he is trying to promote his product-so you take it with a grain of salt --but I know of no one on here that doesn't see things from a different perspective because of their situation, where they live, or what their occupation or product is....Just as retailers don't see things the same as packers, packers don't see things the same as feeders- feeders don't see things the same as cow/calf men-- noone sees things the same--everyone has their own perspective and agenda......

Tam instead of cussing me and R-CALF it looks like you, the industry leader, needs to get out and lead-- your flock is straying :wink: :lol:

Tam said:
bse-tester said:

Sorry but this looks as if you are trying to use the discovery of BSE in N.A. and the fear within the industry to cut corners. Oldtimer posted a article that stated the reseachers that are working on this very test feel a lot of work still need to be done and here you are trying to use our fears to demand the CFIA and the USDA take you up on your offer to use their labs to prove whether or not the test actually works. Cutting corners has cost this industry enough so if you are so sure you have something, go through the proper channels and do it right. The right way would be to prove the test actually can detect bad prions without them having to be ADD to the urine. If the test can be proven and validated THEN take it to those agencies that are in charge of the testing which I doubt are taking information from ranchers.net to heart.

Is that like the present USDA/CFIA policy of short term Big Packer economic gain overriding long term scientific public safety, herd health, and economic vitality of the whole industry.....

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Tam, I never made any claims that it would work, and even Ron has stated that they are still in the development phase. What I find completely rediculous is that:

1) The CFIA has an opportunity to see whether the test works or not, for FREE. FREE. But instead they do nothing.

2) That the gallery on here has absolutely nothing to offer but criticism without having any clue whether Ron's test works or not.

If someone came to me and said they had a new diesel pickup truck for sale that got 50 mpg, had 600 HP, would tow 50,000 lbs safely AND they offered me free use for 3 months with no requirement to buy afterwards, I think I'd be completely insane not to take them up on their offer. Instead, you feel they should prove the claims before I tried it for free?

Even if its only a 1 in 10000000 chance of it working, its worth it. Think of the opportunity for our beef in the world export markets if we can GUARANTEE BSE free beef of all ages for a $20 test. We have the best consumer beef in the world right here (I say consumer, because Kobe isn't really a typical "consumer" beef). The world knows it, because Canadian beef wins beef trial after beef trial. And we have a chance, maybe a slight chance, but a chance to also be the SAFEST beef in the world, for free, and we're not all over it?

If Ron came to the CFIA and asked them to purchase kits, then I'd see requiring him to prove his claims. What he's offered is a win/win situation. He gets free field testing, which is definitely worth something to his company, and the CFIA gets an opportunity to utilize a new tool which, if successful, would drastically reduce the cost of testing animals and offer new hope to our floundering export markets. And yes, they are floundering. We have 1 REAL export market, the US. All these other export markets that are open to us are worthless unless they actually buy more than a semi truck load of beef.

Rod

Ron's offer is for free test kits but if the CFIA was to except, they would have to pull government paid for lab techs and lab space away from the World approved validated testing protocol to perform tests that have yet been proven to work even to those that invented the test. Go read Oldtimers Post Rod, the Reseaschers say a lot of work still needs to be done. Do you really want to pull lab space and techs away from the testing that is proving something to the world to work on Ron's research?
And how much beef do you think we will sell if foreign governments see our approved BSE testing numbers drop because we are busy doing unapproved testing. We are selling beef because the CFIA is using the PROPER WORLD RECOGNIZED TEST not some experimental test that may or may not work. If Ron's test works GREAT but let him prove it through proper channels and until he does let the CFIA labs keep busy doing the testing we HAVE TO DO TO SELL OUR BEEF.

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
bse-tester said:

Is that like the present USDA/CFIA policy of short term Big Packer economic gain overriding long term scientific public safety, herd health, and economic vitality of the whole industry.....
If the USDA is really doing this Oldtimer how can R-CALF claim the US has the WORLD SAFEST BEEF???? :? How can Leo and Bill claim you have firewall the only country to have such stringent firewall to protect consumers from BSE? :? See this is the problem you can't claim the USDA is only looking out for the Big Packers profits by over looking the safety factors and then claim you have the safest beef in the world and still have credibility. :wink:

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:

"No one actually knows.

Tam- What are you talking about :???: Again :???: I think you been hitting the gin again....

I posted a news article pertaining to BSE testing-- just that, a news article...I didn't do any bolding or highlighting- I made no comments- pro or con... I just put it there as a source of info--But I get the feeling that you and some other Canucks don't want information...Don't ask- Don't tell, Don't look-Don't see and it will all go away :roll:

I have no idea whether the tests they discuss work or not- but I do have an idea that Ron has much more knowledge on the subject than you have....Or do you have a Phd out of Big Beaver U :???: TimH hasn't alluded to where his laboratory experience was gained or where his degrees come from either...

Personally I think it is quite rewarding that Ron has joined onto ranchersnet and given us his insight and experience with BSE- it definitely has given some new views that fit with many of the European studies I have read ... Yes he is trying to promote his product-so you take it with a grain of salt --but I know of no one on here that doesn't see things from a different perspective because of their situation, where they live, or what their occupation or product is....Just as retailers don't see things the same as packers, packers don't see things the same as feeders- feeders don't see things the same as cow/calf men-- noone sees things the same--everyone has their own perspective and agenda......

Tam instead of cussing me and R-CALF it looks like you, the industry leader, needs to get out and lead-- your flock is straying :wink: :lol:

Someone posted something today that I think fits here Oldtimer

"When they start attacking you personally rather than attacking the facts, you know you have them by the short hairs as its a sign of desperation.
I think the poster said it was Marc Racicot (former Montana Attorney General) used to say it- maybe you know him. :wink:

Tam said:
1) Ron's offer is for free test kits but if the CFIA was to except, they would have to pull government paid for lab techs and lab space away from the World approved validated testing protocol to perform tests that have yet been proven to work even to those that invented the test.

2) Go read Oldtimers Post Rod, the Reseaschers say a lot of work still needs to be done. Do you really want to pull lab space and techs away from the testing that is proving something to the world to work on Ron's research?

3) And how much beef do you think we will sell if foreign governments see our approved BSE testing numbers drop because we are busy doing unapproved testing. We are selling beef because the CFIA is using the PROPER WORLD RECOGNIZED TEST not some experimental test that may or may not work. If Ron's test works GREAT but let him prove it through proper channels and until he does let the CFIA labs keep busy doing the testing we HAVE TO DO TO SELL OUR BEEF.

1) They wouldn't have to pull anyone off of approved testing (which, BTW, is approved by CFIA, not necessarily our customers). The CFIA labs are not as busy with BSE testing as you let on.

2) I've read OT's post Tam. Has Ron stated that he wants the CFIA to start today? Have they even had the common decency to write him a PFO, or to even acknowledge him? He's a fellow Canadian, at least he deserves that much. He's also said they'd be well into their own validation process by the time he'd want the CFIA to try it.

3) Now who's fear mongering? No-one is saying they should drop current testing. The CFIA labs are NOT busy 100% of the time doing just doing BSE testing. Are you saying that they can't spare 1 tech even an hour a day to check into this potentially valuable tool? I say they can, and they bloody well should.

As an aside, this is a common business practice to run two "systems" side by side, utilizing the results of an accepted, known accurate system to verify the results of a new, unaccepted system. It happens every single day, in virtually all areas of business and science. While it results in a temporary workload increase, "real world" testing is far more valuable and accurate than any lab testing results.

As another aside, I'm going to tell you a true story about a Canadian software house who purchased some software from another software house. The software that was purchased was junk, but it contained the necessary framework to build a good product. After all the work was done, and in-house testing was completed, the software house offered this software to the market, where they turned their noses up because of its bad past.

To get past this, the software house offered free trials to all Canadian clients who wished to use the software. The software house even offered free conversions of their current data. A few clients jumped at this risky opportunity (and yes it was risky, because in the case of the computer software, they were literally doubling their workload). The software house got some free, invaluable field testing done, and the clients received a software product that was far ahead of everything else on the market for free.

Over the next five years, that software house was able to corner over 75% of the Canadian market. While rural Canadian citizens wouldn't know this software house from a hill of beans, because of this software, the client were able to save each of everyone of their own clients at least $200/yr (low side, independent analysis) for the last 10 years. In Saskatchewan alone, this translates to $2000 for each and every rural and small town family.

My point? If the clients had followed your advice Tam, you and BMR, personally, would have to be shelling out a minimum of $200 per year extra. There were costs associated with running the two systems in tandem, but they were far exceeded by the pay off.

Change is often a good thing. Sticking with the status quo, just because of fear, is not a good thing, especially when its costing the Canadian cattle producer millions of dollars each year.

Rod

Oldtimer wrote-

...TimH hasn't alluded to where his laboratory experience was gained or where his degrees come from either...

OT, show me where I even alluded to having any lab experience or degrees and then perhaps I will allude to where they may have came from. :roll:

I don't know how smooth the salesmen are in Montana, but around here, a person doesn't need a degree to spot one. :D

Latest posts