• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Angled stirrups

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I broke my knee 41years ago and it is catching up with me. Supposed to get a knee replacement next spring. Riding horse really bothered it but a friend suggested angled stirrups. Found a pair online and got them ordered in time to help son pick up his bulls Monday then rode to gather and sort cows today. My knee is still sore but sure didn't bother me like it had before. I'm a believer. :cowboy:

A month before your knee surgery, gi to physical therapy one time & have them give you some exercises to do. You need to stretch muscles out, so that when they cramp up, they are still long enough to not have a Charlie horse that dont go away.

I tore my miniskus & had scope surgery. No physical therapy before. Had lots of pain after that. Didn't get me to where I wanted to be.

Scheduled knee replacement. Got physical therapy instructions a month ahead. Went to doc for physical 2 weeks before scheduled surgery. She told me to be doing the exercises on both legs. Surgery got postponed 2 weeks. I did my exercises 2 or ,3 times a week, at home.

I did laps in the hospital hallway after surgery. 2 weeks later went square dancing & did a couple tips. Month after surgery, went on vacation & climbed lots of stairs where we stayed & to the top of a Mayan ruin that was 200 ft tall.

Since, I know of 4 people who got knee's replaced, same surgeon, who didn't do exercises before surgery. They all were having problems walking like a city block, a month or 2 after their surgery.

Thank you for the advice, I have a Teleconference in February to get informed on what will happen I guess, I will make sure and ask then or just check with Physio on what exercises I need to do.
I get enough cramps now don't want any more.

Sounds like good advice. I was told to do excercises before also. I had forgotten that.
Good luck, BMR. You will be glad you had it done.
Make sure the replacement knee isn't prone to developing scar tissue as some are better than others.
I have one that I found out later IS PRONE to causing scar tissue to develop. Sure enough, I have
scar tissue around that knee. It is a condition called Patella Clunk. The surgeon who did the first knee
for me that doesn't have scar tissue, removed the scar tissue with lasar surgery. The other surgeon was
no help with it at all.
But even with that, it's way better than before replacement I'd do it again.

Neeling was almost to painful to do after surgery. Niw almost 2 years later it aint ti bad. U never went back to physical therapy after my trip, possible they would did something to helo that.
I had lots to get caught up on and the 2 hrs a trip road time was more than I wanted to do.

Other than the kneeling, Which I did some of when fixing stuff, I was back to doing about everything I needed to do, in a month an a half.

Finished overhauling a tractor after 2 weeks! Pt thought that was not good, but was easier on my knee than what they did!. Did get help for lifting & finishing torquing head bolts.

Some people get both done at once. Absolutely no way I would do that!

Neeling was almost to painful to do after surgery. Now almost 2 years later it aint to bad. I never went back to physical therapy after my trip, possible they would did something to help that.
I had lots to get caught up on and the 2 hrs a trip road time was more than I wanted to do.

Other than the kneeling, Which I did some of when fixing stuff, I was back to doing about everything I needed to do, arter my trip, in a month an a half.

Finished overhauling a tractor after 2 weeks! Pt thought that was not good, but was easier on my knee than what they did!. Did get help for lifting & finishing torquing head bolts.

Some people get both done at once. Absolutely no way I would do that!

Latest posts