• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Angus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Most angus Operations don't breed they multiply the "HOTTEST" bulls of the time normally which will have a very high $B in which they normally will have a very low -$E. They breed by fads and numbers hence multiply AI is a great tool but over used in the seed stock industry hence multipliers. I have purchased one bull in 9 years and he has a +$42.38 $E Top 1% in the breed bought him to make fertile easier keeping type cows. I do have some nice sons of him also. We sorted off what I felt were my more maternal type females and that's how we use him.

ANGUS BULLETIN: A word of caution: Single-trait
selecting for $EN would tend to
identify animals with low milk and
smaller mature size, but with no
indication of progeny performance
levels. Very rarely is single-trait
selection effective in a system-based
breeding program.

Commercial producers are really
the audience for which the $Value
indexes were developed.Many cow-calf producers who
market calves at weaning are using
$W as an index to balance both the
cost and revenue side of the formula.

$EN is a more specialized tool for
certain producers in challenging
production environments (limited
feed resources, variability of feed)

Seems to me that focusing on the $EN value would not be cost effective in the long run. One day you might wake up and have tiny cows that won't produce enough milk to raise a mouse. All things in moderation................

$EN is a more specialized tool for
certain producers in challenging
production environments (limited
feed resources, variability of feed)
Like you say all things in moderation, damn hard to keep cows around out of
Big EPD's of any kind, But I still would like to see the EPD more often
NOT all positive $EN animals are with out milk

http://www.beefmagazine.com/genetics/0201-increased-beef-cows, not a bad read and its old already, maybe some of those ( mice ) might help the market, maybe not

Latest posts