• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Animal rights group brings protest to Indianapolis

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
fyi

Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 10:44 AM
To:
Subject: Animal rights group brings protest to Indianapolis

http://www.wthr.com/story/14642359/animal-rights-group-brings-protest-to-indianapolis

Animal rights group brings protest to Indianapolis
Updated: May 13, 2011 3:38 PM MDT

INDIANAPOLIS - A Chicago-based animal rights group took their message to Indianapolis Friday. They want you to think about the meat you eat.

Mercy For Animals is touring the country to show people a movie that highlights abuses on factory farms. They're showing a film from a retro-fitted truck that contains graphic images of the way the group says animals are being treated.

The group protested Friday on Monument Circle, urging the lunch crowd to change their eating habits. The 44-city tour is aimed at drawing attention to the factory farms.

"Consumers have a right to know where their food comes from and how the animals are treated before it reaches the plate," said Phil Letten with Mercy for Animals.

The group wants to see an end to "the intensive confinement, abusive handling, painful mutilations, careless neglect, and merciless slaughter of the nearly 10 billion sentient animals per year destined to end up on our plates."

The reaction downtown at lunchtime ranged from thumbs-up to "get out of town." The group handed out pamphlets that some passersby said they had a hard time looking at.

"I don't even know what to say. That's just disgusting," said one woman, looking through the leaflet handed out by the group. It depicted the poor treatment of farm animals. "They have feelings too. They may not be able to voice their opinions but they still do have feelings."

"I said, 'fried chicken's great' because she had a picture of a chicken over there," said a man. "I'm like, you know, I don't get this. I'm not a vegetarian. And I'm not gonna eat vegetables and leave out my meat. It's crazy."

The noontime demonstration was tame compared to what the group planned for Friday evening. At 8:45 pm, the group plans to show a graphic documentary on video screens set up on Monument Circle.

The film, titled "Farm to Fridge," shows undercover video from some of the nation's largest factory farms.

"Farm workers have been documented stabbing animals with pitchforks and beating them in the head with crowbars," Letten said.

When Eyewitness News called the Indiana Beef Cattle Association, we were referred to state veterinarian Dr. Bret Marsh, who says Indiana has laws banning cruelty and neglect.

"The kinds of things being depicted in those videos, we don't condone and producers don't condone. We'd like to think those are rare instances and there are specific measures to take," said Dr. Marsh.

Those who have taken pictures of farm workers committing crimes, and not handed the evidence to the police immediately, should be prosecuted for witholding evidence and covering up a crime!!
There have been too many photoshopped, staged photos and pictures and dvd's taken in other countries (then alledged to be of farms here), published by these organisations, then nothing is done when their fraud is exposed!

The author managed to get "factory farm" in there about 6 times. Meaningless phrase only intended to insult. There is no such thing. It is either a farm or a factory. Farms grow things. Factories build things. Even the most concentrated chicken producer in the land can't "build" chickens. Grrrrrrrrr

Why is so much of the public so gullible and sucks this stuff up with a straw? Why is it so easy to believe that all the people who earn their living with animals are heartless ogres?? Excuse me, I gotta go swear....and puke.

This Sunday is "Open farm Sunday" here in the UK, thousands of farms will open to the public to educate visitors as to what activities are ivolved in food production, what environmental work is done and the "welfare standards" practiced by the stock owners. This co-ordinated annual event has become very popular and is going a long way in bridging the gap between urbanites and farmers. We are all responsible to play some part in educting the public wherever possible, this is our only effective counter measure to these "animal rights, and eco-nuts" organisations.

Mercy Farms again!

Here is the blog post I wrote after the undercover video showing animal abuse at the E6 Cattle Company was released.

"Ag Headline This Week" posted on April 22, 2011:
http://theranchwifechronicles.com/?p=1157

Latest posts