• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

another reason we're going broke

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cutterone

Reaction score
May 17, 2011 5:49 AM EDT

Tens of thousands of Marion County Children are about to leave school for summer break and go to homes were there is not enough to eat, but there is help many people don't know about.

Every day IPS feeds about 22,000 low income children who qualify for free or reduced meals. Once school is out, there are still plenty of free meals available, yet they reach only 1,700 kids.

It is the same story in other Marion County School systems.

It's estimated that just 15 percent of the 90,000children who could eat for free all Summer, take advantage of the program.

The federally funded program has been around for years, but schools say they don't have the people or resources to adequately promote it.

"We have the ability to help kids. This is a federal program. There is no cap on the program. The program reimburses for as many kids come to the sites. We just have to find a way to get them aware of the program and find a way to get them to the sites and get access to the food," said Glen Moehling, Summer Servings.

Tuesday, a new initiative begins called Summer Servings. It is a coordinated campaign to make people aware of it and get more meals to more children.

Franklin Township is adding feeding locations and hopes to quadruple the number of children served.

IPS wants to double the number of lunches and breakfasts it gives away during the Summer.

"We do anything we can to feed the children of IPS any time, any where. And yes it is sad more of them can't get out in the summer to take advantage of our programs," said Jane Cookson, Director of IPS Food Services. "We hope to feed more people this summer. We hope to have sites that are open longer during the summer."

Every school district runs the program a little differently.

There are different feeding locations and times, but for the first time, along with the promotional campaign there is a single web site and telephone number families can use to get the info on the free meals.

I could take issue with a lot of this. You hate to come off looking like a monster but this is rediculous. First, the number of 90,000 kids being eligible. That's crazy that this amount in just Marion county could even qualify. Next, there is no cap to the amount being spent and I'll bet every child that qualifies belongs to a family that qualifies for food stamps and welfare. Where is the food that those programs helps pay for?
The claim is that most of these kids will go hungry for the summer - why?
The families of these children most likely are getting subsidised housing, pay nothing for school costs and meals, a free cell phone, food stamps, free or subsidised medical care, free coats, gloves, shoes, and other items through local programs provided by several enities such as the Colts and others. They get assistance on their untilities, most likely pay no taxes, and get a refund.
Where is the incentive for these people to improve their way of life and personal responsibilities? Where is the proper oversite by the government to regulate this and other services? I have no issue with helping those in need with limits but you and I are not responsible to pay child support on kids we did not rear.

cutterone said:
May 17, 2011 5:49 AM EDT

Tens of thousands of Marion County Children are about to leave school for summer break and go to homes were there is not enough to eat, but there is help many people don't know about.

Every day IPS feeds about 22,000 low income children who qualify for free or reduced meals. Once school is out, there are still plenty of free meals available, yet they reach only 1,700 kids.

It is the same story in other Marion County School systems.

It's estimated that just 15 percent of the 90,000children who could eat for free all Summer, take advantage of the program.

The federally funded program has been around for years, but schools say they don't have the people or resources to adequately promote it.

"We have the ability to help kids. This is a federal program. There is no cap on the program. The program reimburses for as many kids come to the sites. We just have to find a way to get them aware of the program and find a way to get them to the sites and get access to the food," said Glen Moehling, Summer Servings.

Tuesday, a new initiative begins called Summer Servings. It is a coordinated campaign to make people aware of it and get more meals to more children.

Franklin Township is adding feeding locations and hopes to quadruple the number of children served.

IPS wants to double the number of lunches and breakfasts it gives away during the Summer.

"We do anything we can to feed the children of IPS any time, any where. And yes it is sad more of them can't get out in the summer to take advantage of our programs," said Jane Cookson, Director of IPS Food Services. "We hope to feed more people this summer. We hope to have sites that are open longer during the summer."

Every school district runs the program a little differently.

There are different feeding locations and times, but for the first time, along with the promotional campaign there is a single web site and telephone number families can use to get the info on the free meals.

I could take issue with a lot of this. You hate to come off looking like a monster but this is rediculous. First, the number of 90,000 kids being eligible. That's crazy that this amount in just Marion county could even qualify. Next, there is no cap to the amount being spent and I'll bet every child that qualifies belongs to a family that qualifies for food stamps and welfare. Where is the food that those programs helps pay for?
The claim is that most of these kids will go hungry for the summer - why?
The families of these children most likely are getting subsidised housing, pay nothing for school costs and meals, a free cell phone, food stamps, free or subsidised medical care, free coats, gloves, shoes, and other items through local programs provided by several enities such as the Colts and others. They get assistance on their untilities, most likely pay no taxes, and get a refund.
Where is the incentive for these people to improve their way of life and personal responsibilities? Where is the proper oversite by the government to regulate this and other services? I have no issue with helping those in need with limits but you and I are not responsible to pay child support on kids we did not rear.

This whole welfare economy is not good. We need to have an economy that allows families such as these to have jobs that pay enough to provide for all of their needs---not just take it from the government.

In order to do that, I think we need to restructure our economy. What we have now is not working for people like this. These people do not have any say in the national policies (yes they vote, but they don't get much choice). It is a tough situation.

I don't believe we should have an economy that takes from the private economy and gives to situations like this, although this is probably the best short term option. In the long run, the incentives are perverse. What we have to do is to stop getting politicians to buy constituencies and fix the economy so these people can actually make their own money and buy their own food with the fruits of their labor, not from some handout.

Tex

Personally I think it is time for some tough love approach.
This approach has been in place for decades and has not worked and has only expanded those on the dole. Private assistance rather than government assistance would wean off those who are blatent beggers. Even if we were to continue to subsidise those in need, other than those who simply cannot provide for themselves by medical or age reasons, should it not have some time limit of say 12 mos.?

cutterone said:
Where is the incentive for these people to improve their way of life and personal responsibilities?

Incentives? We don't need no stinkin' incentives.

It appears that, based on the rate of growth of government jobs, some day out there everyone will be a government employee.....good pay, security for life, voting donk, and living happily ever after.

Please stop talking about such silly issues as personal responsibility.

Whitewing said:
It appears that, based on the rate of growth of government jobs, some day out there everyone will be a government employee.....good pay, security for life, voting donk, and living happily ever after.

Communism doesn't work. You're right tho. Each day we are farther down that path. Even the run-off from rain belongs to the government here now thanks to Obama.

cutterone said:
Personally I think it is time for some tough love approach.
This approach has been in place for decades and has not worked and has only expanded those on the dole. Private assistance rather than government assistance would wean off those who are blatent beggers. Even if we were to continue to subsidise those in need, other than those who simply cannot provide for themselves by medical or age reasons, should it not have some time limit of say 12 mos.?

I think this is one side of the equation.

The other is that we need the rules that set up an economy that works for everyone in the economy, not just the very rich.

I think market approaches to this problem is more successful than government take and give in which the incentives of working are negated.

We don't have a quorum of politicians looking out for the interests of the average guy. They are looking out for the interests of those who are paying them off. They have real personal incentives to kill the goose that lays the golden egg (the middle class's earnings in the economy)

When you are focused only on one side of the issue, you lose your balance and get a one sided result.

Can anyone here justify the concentration of wealth we have in the United States and how it is buying public policy to perpetuate itself?

http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

Tex

Latest posts