• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any suggestions/opinions are needed! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TK Ranch said:
I used Sleepeasy to AI a few of my comercial cows and was quite impressed with him good grouth nice frame and smal birth wieght. i think he was from Alta genetics but I'm not sure.
Well, well: This thread rings of - Phenotype - Phenotype - Phenotype! Phenotype is the Foundation of cattle selection for sure, - HOWEVER - it amazes me how the majority of breeders consistently concentrate their attention to Phenotype - and IGNORE completely the determining factors which predict what an individual animal will BE -now and in the future! Production records, EPD's, $Values, Carcass and Ultrasound Records will give a REASONABLY reliable prediction and indication of the progeny's potential. If you are seeking a "Show Baby" and not concerned with keeping it for a breeding animal - fine! The suggestion of a Maine-Anjou is a good one. Or a Chiangus. Or any bull which will stamp characteristics on it's offspring which a show judge will approve of. The show ring and the pasture are two completely different animals to hang your star on. If you are looking for breeding animals you should use Phenotype AND all the other factors to assist the producer in making real progress - through genetics. Every single animal has genetics - good and/or bad. It is up to the producer to determine what is desirable in his herd for his needs. Using ONLY - - Ah say, Son, - - ONLY PHENOTYPE won't achieve the results which you deserve, given the time, effort and money you put into your BUSINESS. Use everything at your disposal for optimum results.

Your female(s) have Phenotype AND EPD's AND all the other characteristics listed above - obtained and acquired through THEIR ancestors and EPD's and Genetics. A proper blend and combination of the Cow AND the bull will give you something - hopefully the 'something' that you are seeking! But 'pinning-the-tail-on-the-donkey' breeding won't do the job!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
TK Ranch said:
I used Sleepeasy to AI a few of my comercial cows and was quite impressed with him good grouth nice frame and smal birth wieght. i think he was from Alta genetics but I'm not sure.
Well, well: This thread rings of - Phenotype - Phenotype - Phenotype! Phenotype is the Foundation of cattle selection for sure, - HOWEVER - it amazes me how the majority of breeders consistently concentrate their attention to Phenotype - and IGNORE completely the determining factors which predict what an individual animal will BE -now and in the future! Production records, EPD's, $Values, Carcass and Ultrasound Records will give a REASONABLY reliable prediction and indication of the progeny's potential. If you are seeking a "Show Baby" and not concerned with keeping it for a breeding animal - fine! The suggestion of a Maine-Anjou is a good one. Or a Chiangus. Or any bull which will stamp characteristics on it's offspring which a show judge will approve of. The show ring and the pasture are two completely different animals to hang your star on. If you are looking for breeding animals you should use Phenotype AND all the other factors to assist the producer in making real progress - through genetics. Every single animal has genetics - good and/or bad. It is up to the producer to determine what is desirable in his herd for his needs. Using ONLY - - Ah say, Son, - - ONLY PHENOTYPE won't achieve the results which you deserve, given the time, effort and money you put into your BUSINESS. Use everything at your disposal for optimum results.

Your female(s) have Phenotype AND EPD's AND all the other characteristics listed above - obtained and acquired through THEIR ancestors and EPD's and Genetics. A proper blend and combination of the Cow AND the bull will give you something - hopefully the 'something' that you are seeking! But 'pinning-the-tail-on-the-donkey' breeding won't do the job!

DOC HARRIS

A very valid point, doc. that midland bull, he is a great bull. I have had my eye on him for some time already. great bull, great genetics, good depth, adequate BW, good WW and a lot of depth.
As for the maines, I don't want to use them because i am more focused on good females and bulls to sell as registered breeding stock, and i dont think that maine would be a good thing for that. Even if i could find a good bull, which i cant, i would have to breed it to the commercial heifer, and i want to breed her to herefords, and shorthorns to make a good beefy steer and/or heifers.

I wanna produce something that will exel in the ring, and the pasture, and I already have. especially with the vrd daughter.
If I produce some thing, i stand behind it, and if i wouldnt keep it for a replacement myself because of a fault, i wouldnt sell it to anyone else either. I think all day and all night thinking how to breed these cattle up, and I think that i have found a way. What do you thing about breeding te Rancher's Choice daughter to VRD? What does everyone think of VRD?

Latest posts