• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anybody Have a Corriente Saddle?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TWOROPES said:
I have a corriente association saddle, and it is comfortable for me and my horses, have roped some big stuff out of it and not broke the tree, its plaine jane work saddle nothing fancy, worth the money.

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR BLACK FANCY SADDLES (SIDE SADDLES ESP.?)

I'm surprised to hear all the good reviews on Corriente Saddles. Most people that I know who have tried one said they were too cheaply made to stand up to rigorous use.

Most leather workers or saddle makers call them mass produced Mexican junk.

Colorado Rancher said:
I'm surprised to hear all the good reviews on Corriente Saddles. Most people that I know who have tried one said they were too cheaply made to stand up to rigorous use.

I guess my opinion is, if you don't have any personal experience with something, don't bad mouth it. I have to Corriente saddles, my neighbor has 3 of them. We both ride them pretty much daily, and I have roped critters way bigger then my horse wanted me to. For the money they are a great saddle. No they aren't a custom made saddle, but from what I have seen, they are every bit as good as any store bought saddle on the market.

LazyWP said:
Colorado Rancher said:

I guess my opinion is, if you don't have any personal experience with something, don't bad mouth it. I have to Corriente saddles, my neighbor has 3 of them. We both ride them pretty much daily, and I have roped critters way bigger then my horse wanted me to. For the money they are a great saddle. No they aren't a custom made saddle, but from what I have seen, they are every bit as good as any store bought saddle on the market.

How much is your horse worth to you?

Colorado Rancher said:
LazyWP said:
Colorado Rancher said:

How much is your horse worth to you?

Quite a bit actually. If you are asking if my saddle will make a horse sore, I suppose it will if its not padded correctly, but the Simco, and Colorado Saddlery ones I had before would too, and they both made ME sore.

That's exactly what I don't get. Someone goes out and spends good money on a horse and then goes cheap on the saddle and tack. How can you fathom putting a $500 saddle on a 5,000 dollar horse? Your horse should be worth more to you than that, especially for someone who rides every day.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for saving money. I will probably never in my life buy a brand new pickup off the lot, because I cant stand the idea that as soon as its driven off the lot it depreciates by a couple thousand dollars.

However there are some things that shouldn't skimped on.

I will never buy the lowest priced bull at the sale, my cow herd deserves better than that.

I will never buy a cheap Mexican made saddle, my horse deserves better than that.

I would never buy any of the brands you mentioned, it would be better to buy a used quality brand than a new poor quality saddle. You cant make a quality saddle for $600 when a good saddle tree costs that much. I could understand if this was your backyard hobby horse you rode twice a year.....then a Corriente or Simco or Circle Y saddle might make sense.

I currently ride an RT Frazier saddle that my grandpa had made in the 1930's. That saddle cost $90 back then which was a full months pay of cowboy wages. My point is that quality workmanship stands the test of time.

Colorado Rancher said:
That's exactly what I don't get. Someone goes out and spends good money on a horse and then goes cheap on the saddle and tack. How can you fathom putting a $500 saddle on a 5,000 dollar horse? Your horse should be worth more to you than that, especially for someone who rides every day.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for saving money. I will probably never in my life buy a brand new pickup off the lot, because I cant stand the idea that as soon as its driven off the lot it depreciates by a couple thousand dollars.

However there are some things that shouldn't skimped on.

I will never buy the lowest priced bull at the sale, my cow herd deserves better than that.

I will never buy a cheap Mexican made saddle, my horse deserves better than that.

I would never buy any of the brands you mentioned, it would be better to buy a used quality brand than a new poor quality saddle. You cant make a quality saddle for $600 when a good saddle tree costs that much. I could understand if this was your backyard hobby horse you rode twice a year.....then a Corriente or Simco or Circle Y saddle might make sense.

I currently ride an RT Frazier saddle that my grandpa had made in the 1930's. That saddle cost $90 back then which was a full months pay of cowboy wages. My point is that quality workmanship stands the test of time.
Where do get that corriente are cheap Mexican saddles?
Wayne Baize in Anthony, New Mexico makes them, and they're pretty sturdy saddle.

Latest posts