• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anybody know why,

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I saw something last week that I haven't seen in 8-10 years - the Sheriff under court order moving in and seizing a business and their bank accounts - taking the till contents- backing the semis to the doors for 2 days and taking all the stock and fixtures ...

And last week I understand it occured with 4 business's-and 1 ranch property in just this little county.... :roll: :( Brought back old sad memories of the 80's with their 18% interest rates and all the 2nd- 3rd generation farms/ranches/business places that had to be seized and the contents put up at Sheriffs' Auction- and the birth and actions of the Posse Comitatus and Gordon Kaul..... :( :(

Brad S wrote:
OT "While GW is reluctant to admit a recession is even possible--"

Brad "That is a damn lie, GW is vigorously attending to a slowing/receeding economy. This is in stark contrast to the Klinton/Gore response to the recession they left Bush, but wouldn't address because of politics. Bush accurately identified a recession to liberal/moronic protests, "you're talking down the economy."

OT "Well-- your in a minority group that thinks GW acted quick enough...The 100 point drop out of the Stock Market while he was speaking came because he still was spin talking and not telling folks straight up where things set....Or do you believe the majority of economists are wrong-- and your Idol is right"

Soo, "reluctant to admit a recession is possible" means didn't act quick enough? Since you are without honor, you likely don't care you are wrong about Bush being my Idol.

OT " some of the foreign economists are now saying from their experience with recessions around the world- they see this one as being Deep and Long- some saying as much as 5-7 years....And that it will deeply impact every person in the US before its over-":

OT "I'm a believer that when you are the Watch Commander-- Everything that happens on your watch is your responsibility...And for the last 7 years GW Bush has been the Watch Commander!!!!I know many on this site only like to agree to that principle when the Democrats are in control- but since I don't bow to either party- I'll put it where I think it belongs...

Well then you no doubt know these deficit problems came from the recession Bush inherited. And those tower bombings less than 8 months into the Bush administration were Bush's fault? And the Democrats haven't been in control since the miserable 70s. Watch ommander my a$$, a better analogy would be loaded bases before a pitching change. Don't lie to me anymore, you are a Democrat, and all you guys hate Bush. Democrats love to demogogue fiscally conservative Republicans like "push old people in the street" and "starve kids." Bush will spend to oblivion rather than being honest in a dishonest world.

OT "And with a correct economic policy a correction can be made quite painless- instead of what now could be a 10 year suffering period- or as some economists are warning if GW doesn't move- a US economy Armageddon (breakdown)...While it appears that will be headed off if GW and Congress act- and act right- some economists have compared our economy right now to those of post war Germany and some South American countries where inflation ran at 40-50%....We will probably avoid that since we have an "open" economy and will be pumped up by the Arabs and other countries of the world buying up and owning more of the country ...But even with that- some are predicting a return to 15-20% inflation- and an economy that the economists are now calling stagflation-- stagnated wages (if you have a job) - high inflation- and continued deflation value of the dollar...."

This idiocy works better on the Democratic strongholds (highschool dropouts); Bush has been wrestling with these issues during his entire administration, but has very limited recourse. I've told you before, the Dollar was due to corret more than a decade ago. My Brother (economist) predicted the winner between Bush/Gore was destined to be a 1 term President because of impending corretion; many Democrat political operatives also suspected this possibility. Too bad the tax cuts worked, but you liars ignore this fact but merely transition on to new lies.

Oldtimer said:
I saw something last week that I haven't seen in 8-10 years - the Sheriff under court order moving in and seizing a business and their bank accounts - taking the till contents- backing the semis to the doors for 2 days and taking all the stock and fixtures ...

And last week I understand it occured with 4 business's-and 1 ranch property in just this little county.... :roll: :( Brought back old sad memories of the 80's with their 18% interest rates and all the 2nd- 3rd generation farms/ranches/business places that had to be seized and the contents put up at Sheriffs' Auction- and the birth and actions of the Posse Comitatus and Gordon Kaul..... :( :(

So OT what do we do?
Just write off the debt they owe?
If you have money in a savings in the bank, do you want to recieve a low interest rate on it?
So many times money is barrowed with the intent not to ever paying it back.
There has to be more to the story......

. Don't lie to me anymore, you are a Democrat, and all you guys hate Bush. Democrats love to demogogue fiscally conservative Republicans like "push old people in the street" and "starve kids."

Well Brad you can believe me or you can't- I really don't care because from many of the things I see you posted you have either not kept informed or your thowing political bull....

But I am an Independent- and have been for 45+ years and in those years have voted 90 % Republican altho I choose to vote for the best person, not just little letter by name (R).... I will not bow down to one party or Idol just because they have an (R) or a (D) by their name...

And if you think George W Bush and the Republicans that have been in 107th- 110th Congress have been fiscally conservative--then I think you don't have a clue to what conservativism really is....

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS-- and I've seen little of anything Conservative come out of this administration--and absolutely nothing FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE...This period will be remembered as "The Bridge to Nowhere" building time as McCain has been putting it.....

katrina said:
Oldtimer said:

So OT what do we do? Just what they did...
Just write off the debt they owe? Nope- I don't think you'll find many people or banks that will do that- altho historically some banks stopped foreclosing back in the dirty 30's because they got tired of taking care of all the land/houses they were acquiring thru foreclosure....
If you have money in a savings in the bank, do you want to recieve a low interest rate on it? Looks like thats whats happening now because of all the cheapening money that is being printed....
So many times money is barrowed with the intent not to ever paying it back.
There has to be more to the story......
I don't have the full story - it was over non-payment of debt- but I don't know the cause behind it...I'm just hoping it isn't a sign of the times we are moving into-- because I remember those times too well-- of the wife and kids standing on the steps of a now empty house whose furniture/fixtures had all been loaded in a semi bound for storage- along with semis loaded with farm equipment and cattle being impounded- awaiting auction....Not a pretty sight...Once I gathered- impounded- and sold 700+ head of cattle on a court order for nonpayment of bills...

Some times it was the persons own fault for bad management- other times it was a combination of things- crop failure- drought- or the rising 15--18% and higher operating notes that they couldn't pay.....

I know of several Sheriffs back during that time that "retired" as they couldn't stand the job of foreclosing on many of the old friends they'd known for many years...

I mentioned this situation to Faster Horses earlier in the week in a PM-- because one of the business's that was closed had handled the Vigortone mineral for their local dealer- which now makes getting your hands on 10-20 sacks when you need it much harder....

Getting this back to the original subject of the thread- cattle prices and the economy--

Have any of you talked with your normal buyers about selling calves this summer/fall? ....

I was at a meeting the other day where the conversation of several of the ranchers turned to the point that their regular buyers that they had contracted their calves to- either in person or on Superior Video- or the Internet Video-(Nov. deliveries contracted in May-Aug) had been telling them they would probably not be doing much/any early buying this year either in person or on the videos due to the uncertainty of the economy...
It made for some awful glum ranchers faces....

Anyone else had any contact with or heard anything like this :???:

Oldtimer said:
Getting this back to the original subject of the thread- cattle prices and the economy--

Have any of you talked with your normal buyers about selling calves this summer/fall? ....

I was at a meeting the other day where the conversation of several of the ranchers turned to the point that their regular buyers that they had contracted their calves to- either in person or on Superior Video- or the Internet Video-(Nov. deliveries contracted in May-Aug) had been telling them they would probably not be doing much/any early buying this year either in person or on the videos due to the uncertainty of the economy...
It made for some awful glum ranchers faces....

Anyone else had any contact with or heard anything like this :???:

We have heard a little rumbleing about that. We had a guy come and look at our calves and he suggested selling them later towards spring. And maybe this summer could be an option..

Why would they not buy calves if they can lock in a profit on the board ?

This is from the marketing page here in ranchers.
Live Cattle:

I recommend maintaining a long position in the February and April contracts with a sell stop to exit only at $89.50 February and $92.50 April. The higher trade today leads me to anticipate further advancement next week. February is going to begin to run into resistance at around the $93.00 area. The resistance on the April contract appears to be around $96.50. That was the floor for a while in the April contract. To see it come back up to that wouldn't be out of the ordinary. The lows may be in for a while, but I don't see much let up in the volatility. This suggests that when the gettin's good, get it.

Feeder Cattle:

I recommend maintaining a long position in the May and August feeder cattle with a sell stop to exit only at $104.90 May and $106.80 August. Feeder cattle remain strong. Like the fats, the higher close today suggests to anticipate further advances. The volatility in the feeder cattle is immense in the back months. Compounded by the thin volume, one should anticipate a great deal of back and forth action before a trend is established. I'm probably early on my analysis, but there may not be any more new lows made in the May or August contracts.

Corn:

December corn has fallen $.30 off the contract high. The oscillator has had its first day down today. My analysis suggests that December corn is in a minor wave 4 correction. Upon completion of this minor wave 4, I anticipate a minor wave 5 that is anticipated to top the corn market for sometime to come. Corn farmers should have a game plan laid out that would take into consideration prices as high as $5.85 December or if objectives not met, prices that would be entered into on a down turn.

Just something to think about. The hype of corn is getting to near preposterous levels. While I won't argue the validity of ethanol, what I will say is that I've seen little to no infrastructure being built for distribution. If it can't be delivered to the mass in an efficient manner, how will it be consumed? I understand there were no roads when Ford built cars. However, can ethanol plants survive long enough for distribution channels to be built?

[email protected].

I think the day of order buyers just filling an order with 70 head of black 7 weight calves of any quality and thinking he deserves 3 cents per cwt for doing it is gone. I would imagine at 5 dollar corn, the lots would want calves with some substance , guts, and with their frame in check so they can get some performance out of their 5 dollar corn. I'm not picking on blacks. The worlds best cattle in volume are currently black but there's a whole lot of impostors that get to ride along with the good ones on the same truck. If I couldn't find better order buyers than most I know of I'd just call the sale barn man and say send me 70 head of blacks at a certain price and be done with it. 5 dollar corn is going to make everyone sharpen their pencil but it'll make good quality cattle shine.

Latest posts