• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone Else on Medicare

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TexasBred

Reaction score
Received a 7 page letter from the Social Security Administration advising that my medicare premiums were going up from $105 per month to $405 per month......Wonder what page of Obamacare this little ditty was hidden on??

OMG! We are on Medicare but we didn't receive anything like that. I had talked with the Council on Aging representative and she told me a couple of months ago that she had just gotten word that the Medicare premiums would remain the same in 2014.

I figured, "Look out 2015"!

I'd sure check with the Council on Aging in your area.
Good luck! Golly, what a shocker!

Quit complaining. You're still useful until all your money has been siphoned off, then the death panel will deam you unfit. :wink:

according to the internet.. the costs stayed the same..

Good news! The Medicare Part B rates for 2014 did not increase, and are the same as in 2013. Neither the monthly premium nor the annual deductible will go up. In 2014, most people pay $104.90 each month as Part B premium, plus $147 per year for their Part B deductible.

he standard premium amount for each year is calculated on the level of Medicare health care costs of the previous year. From 2010 to 2020, health care costs are expected to increase by 5.8 percent each yea, because of increasing use and rising costs of health care services.

so much for reining in health care costs..

maybe Obama was on the horse backwards when he tried to rein it in?

Yep, they got ya. It's based on your 2012 income. They use something they call Modified adjusted gross income (magi) Had it happen to me for 2013. I sold my cows in 2011 that year I had capital gain. They don't tax capital gain for SS or medicare but they use it to figure this MAGI. each higher bracket raises your Medicare premium by $104.90. Ain't fair, you don't get any better benifits. Another way to bleed the retired person.

Clarencen,

Thank you for that information. I had no idea that there was any kind of "means-testing" associated with Medicare. I searched the internet yesterday and found out a whole lot of stuff that I didn't know about paying premiums for Part A and the graduated rates for Part B.

Very interesting.

Tom in TN

Most people on Social Security don't realize this, because they take the cost of the Medicare premium off your Social Security check each month before you receive it.

Clarencen said:
Yep, they got ya. It's based on your 2012 income. They use something they call Modified adjusted gross income (magi) Had it happen to me for 2013. I sold my cows in 2011 that year I had capital gain. They don't tax capital gain for SS or medicare but they use it to figure this MAGI. each higher bracket raises your Medicare premium by $104.90. Ain't fair, you don't get any better benifits. Another way to bleed the retired person.

There was also an adjustment for "Prescription Cost" even though I have a prescription policy. The combined total of the policy plus the new deduction for prescriptions probably adds up to more than the drugs would cost if I paid cash.

It's just an other way to tax the people who have saved. Interest income and rental income are also included in the Magi, so check the papers you received.
Everything works on a balance, it has to balance somewhere, when you get a free sandwich they will raise the cost of beer.

Take good care of that goose that lays the golden egg, she is becoming discouraged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aga1BOSu7yY

How many grandkids won't be getting Christmas next year?

Latest posts