• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anyone heard from SSAP?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Turkey Track Bar

Reaction score
Hey ranchers.net friends! Has anyone heard from S.S.A.P.? I have heard that there has been really bad flooding in SW Saskatchewan and Southern Alberta. I think that may be where she and her family hang their hats.

I hope they are safe! I am sure they are welcoming the moisture, but I do know there can be too much of a good thing!

In our neck of the prairie, life has been pretty interesting with a nearby town, Dupree, SD, nearly wiped off the map by tornadoes Wednesday night. Our mail carrier lost her house as well as several other folks we know.

Please keep those who are dealing bad weather in your prayers. I know they can use them right now.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

The Calgary Herald has a photo album of the flooding in Southern Alberta.

Quite a mess, is right.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Rising+floodwaters+cause+home+evacuations+southern+Alberta/3172824/story.html?tab=PHOT

3173212.jpg

3176437.jpg

3176436.jpg

That's terrible. I feel badly for those under water. I hope no one
is injured or no lives are lost. What a mess to clean up.

I just checked accuweather and our forecast is for 3 more inches
of rain. We just finished with 2.5 inches. It's chilly here today,
overcast, thundering and starting to rain now. :shock:

Stay safe, everyone. SSAP I hope you know we are thinking of you.

Faster horses said:
That's terrible. I feel badly for those under water. I hope no one
is injured or no lives are lost. What a mess to clean up.

I just checked accuweather and our forecast is for 3 more inches
of rain.
We just finished with 2.5 inches. It's chilly here today,
overcast, thundering and starting to rain now. :shock:

Stay safe, everyone. SSAP I hope you know we are thinking of you.

when is that suppose to happen?

Today, tonight...not sure about tomorrow.
Check yours out at www.accuweather.com.
I was reading it and it said 2 inches, went away and came
back and they upped it to 3.18... :shock:
Now it's back to 2.3". Raining straight down now.

NOW...

AT 1257 PM MDT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A CLUSTER OF THUNDERSTORMS 6 MILES NORTHWEST OF BELLTOWER... MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. AREAS AFFECTED INCLUDE HIGHWAYS 7 AND 323 NEAR EKALAKA... AND THE CITIES OF EKALAKA... BELLTOWER... MILL IRON... WEBSTER AND MEDICINE ROCKS ST PARK THROUGH 200 PM MDT.

LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN... DANGEROUS LIGHTNING AND SMALL HAIL CAN BE EXPECTED IN THESE AREAS.

Faster horses said:
Today, tonight...not sure about tomorrow.
Check yours out at www.accuweather.com.
I was reading it and it said 2 inches, went away and came
back and they upped it to 3.18... :shock:
Now it's back to 2.3". Raining straight down now.

NOW...

AT 1257 PM MDT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A CLUSTER OF THUNDERSTORMS 6 MILES NORTHWEST OF BELLTOWER... MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. AREAS AFFECTED INCLUDE HIGHWAYS 7 AND 323 NEAR EKALAKA... AND THE CITIES OF EKALAKA... BELLTOWER... MILL IRON... WEBSTER AND MEDICINE ROCKS ST PARK THROUGH 200 PM MDT.

LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN... DANGEROUS LIGHTNING AND SMALL HAIL CAN BE EXPECTED IN THESE AREAS.

i just noticed that on the radar. they're not forcasting any measureable rain for here today. possibly .45 total for tomorrow and tomorrow night. i'd take more than that if it were up to me. :)

I've never thought AccuWeather was real accurate.
It's back to 3.18" again now. :???:
I picked up the warning from another site that does better.

I've noticed through the years, when OT posts weather for this area, it's
usually pretty accurate.

Katrina, I'm hollering "UNCLE". I think this might be enough
rain for awhile... :wink:

Faster horses said:
I've never thought AccuWeather was real accurate.
It's back to 3.18" again now. :???:
I picked up the warning from another site that does better.

I've noticed through the years, when OT posts weather for this area, it's
usually pretty accurate.

Katrina, I'm hollering "UNCLE". I think this might be enough
rain for awhile... :wink:

Sorry ole girl NO RETURNS.... :p Gotta send it on to someone else...

Some of the guys Ty rodeos with from there got their house flooded. Last time I talked to Connie they were having aheck of a time getting cattle hauled up to their divide pasture so maybe they don't have them up there yet.

Billings had a storm this afternoon that I've seen reports of that dumped 9" of rain in places-hail- tornado went down main street and took parts of Metra besides destroying several business's.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSLMRAEeYLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMA3bY5PiQg

Luckily my daughter who lives there was up here for her sisters wedding- and was just pulling into Billings after the storm went thru...They said there were cattle standing in fields of water- and they were routed around thru Huntley because of the debris and water- to get back to the Interstate so they could get home on the south side of Billings...

The folks north of the Cypress Hills were hit really bad ....
Reservoirs and dams already full or near from the spring snow storms with 8 to 12 inches of rain within a 12 to 18 hr period on an already saturated base.

We drove through the rain Thursday evening - Brooks to Cypress and it was like driving in a snow storm.

Here's a video of Dickson Dam and Eagle Valley Campground that are on the #1/Trans-Canada just N of Maple Creek.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6TIGApo1Iw

... note the light standard just visible!

We haven't heard that any one lost their life and I hope it stays that way. One helluva mess to cleanup after. "Flood Insurance" not likely but maybe prov/Fed support because it was declared a disaster area?!?!

And good old community support; financial and otherwise .... for ranchers and businesses. It'll be a tough haul for the small rural towns; Maple Creek, Walsh and Irvine and others - not that they are less important, I just don't know the full extent or area effected - that water that left the north slope moved on .... !!

South of Cypress (us) seen a bit of water run. Our rains didn't amount to half of what the hardest hit received.

We helped some friends brand today (Father's Day) on top of Cypress - it was odder than he!! to see water splashing under your horse on the hill tops. The country is green - we are over our full annual amount of precip!

Someone set up a facebook page ... I think if you add it as a "page favorites" you can then view all the photos / cleanup orgs / how to help etc.. that are listed there.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Surviving-the-Maple-Creek-flood-of-2010/126183000751850

It has to be darn tough to lose anything you have a personal attachment with .... from the smallest item to your ranch yard !!!!

Marcia Love, the young woman who took the flood pictures for the Maple Creek Times, shared some school time with my daughter at Conestoga College in Kitchener Ontario. So it would appear that her work as a journalist just got some pretty big coverage, much broader than before.

Anyone out that way know Ms. Love?

Latest posts