• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Around Here

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score

66 bales on 20 acres The first year I owned this piece I got 18

Heifer calf 1st calf born here this year was Aprill 11th other than a couple early AI calves

Cow is a Sinclair Extra daughter so EXT bred calf is a LT Bandwagon so some more ext. They have great udders and flesh easy and this one is a pest so much for attitude.

S Chisum daughter

The palomino is Debs and the sorrel is mine and the black mare in the background is a kids horse that can't get out of a walk with a rider aboard.

Rain can really do wonders for a country...
We had about 3 years in a row of way above average (yearly average is 11.5 inches) rain and we were spoiled... This year we've received 6.19 inches so far which is only less than an inch of normal- but the hayfields are producing only a 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of hay we were able to get last year...
Cows and country look good..

Oldtimer said:
We had about 3 years in a row of way above average (yearly average is 11.5 inches) rain and we were spoiled... This year we've received 6.19 inches so far which is only less than an inch of normal- but the hayfields are producing only a 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of hay we were able to get last year...

Neighbor went to Glacier via Forsyth (I think) and Lewistown, and he said it's dry from Miles City to Glacier. I knew it was dry at Jordan, didn't realize it went beyond there. I wish it wasn't that way. Been there, done that, too many times. Our hay is short too, pasture is excellent.

Looking good, there Denny. Like your horses!

Faster horses said:
Oldtimer said:

Neighbor went to Glacier via Forsyth (I think) and Lewistown, and he said it's dry from Miles City to Glacier. I knew it was dry at Jordan, didn't realize it went beyond there. I wish it wasn't that way. Been there, done that, too many times. Our hay is short too, pasture is excellent.

Looking good, there Denny. Like your horses!

Things look great around here. Probably the best hay crop we have ever had. Fields are making 3 bales or more per acre. Best field we have had yet was 18 acres and it made 80 1300 lbs bales. Our oats looks awesome. When I walk into it, it is right at my elbows and just starting to head out and we had 1/4 inch rain last night. We are excited to see what it does. Everyone is putting up as much feed as they can. Our cousin made a deal with us to put up his pasture ground. It is probably between 200 and 300 acres. Grass is knee to waste high, and clover is 5 foot tall mixed with the grass. It isn't the best hay, but it should really pile up.

Looking good Denny.

Range looks good here but we are anticipating a 60% hay crop. No rain to speak of and most of our snow went straight in the ground instead of running off into the swamps for irrigation.

So does the rwf have an "S" in her too?

Been haying for a neighbor - paturn angus. Gonna go for a bebop thru his cows next few eve and see his "xxp" son out working and some of his progeny. He talks very high of the bull.

Nice pictures.

This is interesting because, if I look at the Drought Monitor, it does not show any indication of drought in Montana but for north central Washington it shows short to long term drought; but we actually have had above normal rainfall.
Anyway, I am envious of Denny's hay.

DB Cooper said:
This is interesting because, if I look at the Drought Monitor, it does not show any indication of drought in Montana but for north central Washington it shows short to long term drought; but we actually have had above normal rainfall.
Anyway, I am envious of Denny's hay.

Yeah- I darn sure wouldn't call us droughted in northeast Montana... We are dryer than normal here at home and at the north pasture (30 miles north)- BUT 60 miles north along the border they have had so much rain they weren't sure if they could get their fields seeded and the 4th of July Wagon train was driving thru water parts of the time (12 inches in one month where that is normally the whole amount they get in a year ) ...

Been a real spotty year... Pastures look pretty good- some good looking wheat crops- and the water table is still high with all the springs still running...
But in this country if we get the rains at the right times we can have a good year with 9-10 inches yearly total.... Just can't do that year after year..

Hereford76 said:
So does the rwf have an "S" in her too?

Been haying for a neighbor - paturn angus. Gonna go for a bebop thru his cows next few eve and see his "xxp" son out working and some of his progeny. He talks very high of the bull.

Nice pictures.

That hereford is one of those $918 a head bred heifers that Lane has since traded out of me she's doing a good job with her calf no 'S'

Latest posts