• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Article about those who believe in conspiracy theories

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110504080730.htm

Does It Take One to Know One?

Conspiracy theories -- such as those surrounding the death of Princess Diana -- are more likely to be believed by people who are willing themselves to conspire, new research at the University of Kent has shown.

In a paper to be published in the British Journal of Social Psychology, Dr Karen Douglas and Dr Robbie Sutton, two researchers from the University's School of Psychology, found that ­- in keeping with the psychological process called projection -- an individual's perception that "I would do it" informs his or her perception that "they did it."

The research, titled Does it take one to know one? Endorsement of conspiracy theories is influenced by personal willingness to conspire, considered the responses of around 250 UK undergraduates to 17 major alleged conspiracies, such as the 'assassinations' of Princess Diana and John F. Kennedy, the 'faking' of the moon landings and the 'orchestration' of the 9/11 attacks by the US government.

'We're not saying however that all conspiracy theorists are immoral or that they have arrived at their beliefs through projection. It's important to note that other factors may lead people to believe in conspiracy theories. Also, our research says nothing about the truth or objective plausibility of such theories. However what we have shown is that one reason some people endorse conspiracy theories is because is they project their own moral tendencies onto the supposed conspirators', she said.

And boy did this cat say a mouthful:

He says that although these people are highly doubtful and suspicious of government and other bodies of authority, they will accept any source that validates their preconceived conspiracy views whiteout any proof or substantiation. "Arguments advanced by conspiracy theorists tell you more about the believer than about the event," Goertzel adds.

:lol:

http://www.examiner.com/science-news-in-miami/conspiracy-theory-believers-share-psychological-traits

Their study also showed that the conspiracy subscribers displayed a greater inclination towards conclusions based on poor evidence than non-conspiracy believers.

Well I'll be dipped in dung.

lightninboy said:
hopalong said:
Not if they were believed by you and the shamefull one :D :eek:
If I said Harry Reid cheated in Nevada in the 2008 election, would you believe me?

If he did, it was a waste of resources as the pubs nominated the worst candidate they could find......and she still almost won. :lol:

There have also been studies/polls done that show that most that believe in conspiracy theories are also more liberal/democrat.

Which is interesting, due to the fact that many conspiracy theories involve the Jews controlling things and that many Dems./Libs, are against the Jews and tend to lean towards supporting Islamists, while denouncing Christianity.

Sometimes I wonder if conspiracy theories are not just another "tool" used towards reaching their agenda.

"Bush corroborated with the Jews, to plan and carry out 911, because they wanted the oil. Global warming is caused by CO2, from using oil, so we should vote Dem. and get rid of the "bad men", use alternative fuels, and give the Muslim people the freedom of religion, that is provided by the Constitution"

lightninboy said:
hopalong said:
If I said Harry Reid cheated in Nevada in the 2008 election, would you believe me?

No not really!! You are unbelievable in everything you say so that takes any credibility you might have away :D

lightninboy said:
hopalong said:

as with any allegation there needs to be proof, or it will not stand up..

as much as I would like to see harry ran out of office and be given a short jail term.. I really do not believe that there is substantial proof available to support the claim..

but feel free to send it to Holden, I am sure he will investigate it fully..

Steve said:
lightninboy said:
hopalong said:

as with any allegation there needs to be proof, or it will not stand up..

as much as I would like to see harry ran out of office and be given a short jail term.. I really do not believe that there is substantial proof available to support the claim..

but feel free to send it to Holden, I am sure he will investigate it fully..

*Holder*

Holden is the Science Czar that does not respect science.

Whitewing said:
If he did, it was a waste of resources as the pubs nominated the worst candidate they could find......and she still almost won. :lol:
You didn't like Sharron Angle? You must not be very Tea Partyish!

lightninboy said:
Whitewing said:
I kind of liked Christine O'Donnell.

O' Donnel was a good candidate with good ideas destroyed by the media and the established republican party did nothing to defend her..

as for Sharron Angle... she should have been vetted more before she was nominated..

BTW,.. welcome back...

Latest posts