• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ATV Calf Cages

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Gomez

Reaction score
Does anyone use these when cows are calving on pasture to treat newborns while momma watches safely? Actually, its not the safety of the cow I am worried about, but it should reduce some stress for all. Any recommendations on manufacturer or did you build you own?
Thanks

:)

Here are some pictures of our outfit, made by New Tec Inc., 1008 Locust St., Hull, IA 51239
(866) 369-0505 | [email protected]

Here is their webpage: http://www.newtecinc.biz/calfcorral/index.shtml

HihoSilverawwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.jpg

Hi Ho Silver, aaawwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy
Findingavictim.jpg

Finding a victim
Thisaintthewaythecowboysdoit.jpg

This ain't the way the cowboys do it.
Andoutofchutenumberonecomesablackso.jpg

And out of chute number one comes a black son of a gun
Yeehaw.jpg

Yee haw
Puttingonanametag.jpg

Putting in an ear tag
Inthesharkcage.jpg

In the shark cage
Youcanhaultheminthisthingtoo.jpg

You can haul them in this thing, too.
Findingtherighttag.jpg

Finding the right colored tag

We did have our welder son put a gate guard on the front, because the gates seemed to get pushed into fences occasionally. :roll: :wink:

PeachBlossomtaggingacalfonacoolmorn.jpg

Peach Blossom tagging a calf on a cool morning
HerArcticCatCalfCatchercontraption.jpg

Her Arctic Cat Calf Catcher contraption
Ourweldersonmodifiedit.jpg

Our welder son modified it and put a "gate guard" on the front. This protects the gates if a fence comes up too fast.
Herhandydandylight.jpg

Her handy dandy light for tagging in the dark
Abetterlookatthegateguardonthefront.jpg

A better look at the gate guard on the front
Anothercalfgetsatag.jpg

Another calf gets a tag

I did consider building one. I have some 4' pieces of alunimun studs I was going to use. Now I sold my cows so I guess I won't have to build one.

excuse my ignorance, but when do you try to catch them, before they get up, after they suck,or do you run them down?

Some friends built one out of drill stem that you had to pack with the tractor and set over the calf. They got a cow captured by a fenceline and in the midst of the obstetrics she shoved it up against the electric fence-the guy on the calf puller got energized!

I love it - - - - I have chained a round bale feeder to the front of the skid steer and lowered it over calves but only as a last resort. Most of mine I can walk up to and tag with no problem.

Also I bring my cattle to the barn once or twice a day during calving and then can pen them off and take care of business then put the cow and new calf over whith the others that have calves. Thus the new calves have clean pasture to live in.

That is the advantage to haveing less than 50 head.

Latest posts