• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Auto Bailout was Romneys Idea

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Romney campaign aide claims auto bailout was Romney's idea

By Brendan Sasso - 04/28/12 01:28 PM ET

One of Mitt Romney's top advisers said Saturday that President Obama's decision to bailout Chrysler and General Motors was actually Romney's idea.

"[Romney's] position on the bailout was exactly what President Obama followed. I know it infuriates them to hear that," Eric Fehrnstrom, senior adviser to the Romney campaign, said.

"The only economic success that President Obama has had is because he followed Mitt Romney's advice."

The claim appears to be a shift from Mitt Romney's November 2008 op-ed in The New York Times, headlined, "Let Detroit go bankrupt."

But on Saturday, Fehrnstrom pointed out that in the op-ed, Romney called for a "managed bankruptcy" to get the auto companies back on stable financial footing.

"The fact that the auto companies today are profitable is because they've shed costs," Fehrnstrom said. "The reason they shed those costs and have got their employee labor contracts less expensive is because they went through that managed bankruptcy process. It is exactly what Mitt Romney told them to do."

But during the primary campaign, Romney repeatedly attacked Obama for lending billions of dollars in government money to the auto companies.

Oldtimer said:
Romney campaign aide claims auto bailout was Romney's idea

By Brendan Sasso - 04/28/12 01:28 PM ET

One of Mitt Romney's top advisers said Saturday that President Obama's decision to bailout Chrysler and General Motors was actually Romney's idea.

"[Romney's] position on the bailout was exactly what President Obama followed. I know it infuriates them to hear that," Eric Fehrnstrom, senior adviser to the Romney campaign, said.

"The only economic success that President Obama has had is because he followed Mitt Romney's advice."

The claim appears to be a shift from Mitt Romney's November 2008 op-ed in The New York Times, headlined, "Let Detroit go bankrupt."

But on Saturday, Fehrnstrom pointed out that in the op-ed, Romney called for a "managed bankruptcy" to get the auto companies back on stable financial footing.

"The fact that the auto companies today are profitable is because they've shed costs," Fehrnstrom said. "The reason they shed those costs and have got their employee labor contracts less expensive is because they went through that managed bankruptcy process. It is exactly what Mitt Romney told them to do."

But during the primary campaign, Romney repeatedly attacked Obama for lending billions of dollars in government money to the auto companies.
AND THE REST OF THE STORY IS
Bush Defends Auto Bailout Amid Romney Attacks
Jason Mick (Blog) - February 7, 2012 2:00 PM

President George W. Bush (R) created strong divisions within the Republican party when he backed a $700B USD bailout of the struggling automotive and financial sectors. Both he and current President Barack Obama (D) see eye to eye on this issue, though -- they felt that bailouts were the only thing keeping the nation from economic collapse.

Public surveys during the height of the recession indicated that nearly 60 percent of Americans disapproved of the bailout.

I. Bush Defends Bailouts, Says he Did the Right Thing

Criticism from his party and the public has not swayed former President Bush's conviction that he made the right choice. In a Q&A at an auto dealer convention in Las Vegas, President Bush is quoted as saying, "I'd do it again. I didn't want there to be 21 percent unemployment."
As to the free market proponents that say that the companies should have been allowed to go through the traditional process of bankruptcy and liquidation, Mr. Bush disagrees. He says that he would traditionally support that -- but that the cumulative impact of the recession required a more intimate approach. He comments, "If you make a bad decision, you ought to pay. [But] sometimes circumstances get in the way of philosophy."

He says he "had to" break with his rigid conservative roots and craft the bailout, in order to "safeguard American workers and families." He takes credit for crafting the financial tools that President Obama would later use to slow the recession and set the nation back on more stable financial ground. He comments, "[I expected to] kind of ride out to the sunset [in my last year of presidency]. [But] I didn't want to saddle my successor with an additional economic crisis."

He said his Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke approached him, stating, "Are you willing to gamble [with the chance of depression]."

He recalls replying, "I don't want there to be a depression, no matter what the probability may be…"

President Bush says he made a tough choice, but the right one.

The bailout will go down in American history as a controversial invasion of the private sector, which the American government has traditionally sought to play a limited regulatory role in. But some economists and historians also credit the program for possibly preventing a depression [source], although such "what if" scenarios are indelibly open to debate.

II. The Results

For all the resentment, President Bush believes that inaction would have left his reputation far more tarnished. He states, "I didn't want to gamble. I didn't want history to look back and say, 'Bush could have done something but chose not to do it.'"

Presidents Bush and Obama used the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) to ease financial firms and automakers through a gentler process [1][2], which allowed them to consolidate their profitable segments and stay in business. Laggard units were dumped off to the highest bidder in an attempt to pay the bailout loans and grants.

The government even took a stake in many of the "bailed out" financial firms, as well as General Motors Comp. (GM) and Chrysler. The government has recouped some of the money it loaned, but it will likely never be repayed some of the billions it poured into both sectors. In fact, it's already forgiven some of the bailout recipients of substantial chunks of taxpayer debt, and given many of these struggling firms tax holidays, which will allow them to enjoy tax-free profits for years to come.

On the flip side of the coin, while the government isn't collecting any corporate taxes from these fortunate corporations, it has avoided a surge in unemployment. GM and Chrysler today profitable [1][2] and hiring -- as are some of the rescued financial firms.

Liquidation would have left tens of thousands of GM and Chrysler assembly line workers unemployed.
Other nations also participated in the bailout of the automakers [1][2].

III. Republican Hopeful Romney Blasts, Bush, Bailouts

One person who is not a fan of President Bush or his bailouts is leading Republican 2012 presidentical candidate Mitt Romney. He commented in September, "[Automakers] needed to move into a managed bankruptcy process rather than getting money up front by President Bush or President Obama. They wasted a lot of money."

Mr. Romney stirred up controversy during the waning days of the Bush presidency, with an editorial in The New York Times, "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt", which blasted the Bush bailouts.

What was it Biden said the Bumper Stick should say. OH YEA "GM IS ALIVE AND OSAMA IS DEAD" . Yea and Obama inherited the means to do BOTH FROM BUSH :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: IS there anything that Obama can claim as HIS AND HIS ALONE. YEP. Obamacare and he can't campaign on it as he knows a majority of voters hate that bill. :lol: :lol:

Try again Oldtimer to give Obama credit I love it when the rest of the story clarifies just what Obama inherited. :lol: :lol: :lol:

President George W. Bush (R) created strong divisions within the Republican party when he backed a $700B USD bailout of the struggling automotive and financial sectors. Both he and current President Barack Obama (D) see eye to eye on this issue, though -- they felt that bailouts were the only thing keeping the nation from economic collapse.

Public surveys during the height of the recession indicated that nearly 60 percent of Americans disapproved of the bailout.

I. Bush Defends Bailouts, Says he Did the Right Thing
Criticism from his party and the public has not swayed former President Bush's conviction that he made the right choice. In a Q&A at an auto dealer convention in Las Vegas, President Bush is quoted as saying, "I'd do it again. I didn't want there to be 21 percent unemployment."

As to the free market proponents that say that the companies should have been allowed to go through the traditional process of bankruptcy and liquidation, Mr. Bush disagrees. He says that he would traditionally support that -- but that the cumulative impact of the recession required a more intimate approach. He comments, "If you make a bad decision, you ought to pay. [But] sometimes circumstances get in the way of philosophy."

He says he "had to" break with his rigid conservative roots and craft the bailout, in order to "safeguard American workers and families." He takes credit for crafting the financial tools that President Obama would later use to slow the recession and set the nation back on more stable financial ground. He comments, "[I expected to] kind of ride out to the sunset [in my last year of presidency]. [But] I didn't want to saddle my successor with an additional economic crisis."

He said his Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke approached him, stating, "Are you willing to gamble [with the chance of depression]."

He recalls replying, "I don't want there to be a depression, no matter what the probability may be…"

President Bush says he made a tough choice, but the right one.
The bailout will go down in American history as a controversial invasion of the private sector, which the American government has traditionally sought to play a limited regulatory role in. But some economists and historians also credit the program for possibly preventing a depression [source], although such "what if" scenarios are indelibly open to debate.

III. Republican Hopeful Romney Blasts, Bush, Bailouts

One person who is not a fan of President Bush or his bailouts is leading Republican 2012 presidentical candidate Mitt Romney. He commented in September, "[Automakers] needed to move into a managed bankruptcy process rather than getting money up front by President Bush or President Obama. They wasted a lot of money."

Mr. Romney stirred up controversy during the waning days of the Bush presidency, with an editorial in The New York Times, "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt", which blasted the Bush bailouts.

I've never argued the fact- they were the Bush Bailouts to try and keep the nation afloat after the Bush Bust...The ideas of spending all that taxpayer dollars came out of the Bush administration- altho if I remember right Geithner and his crew were involved too... Obama agreed with them and implemented them...
Its Republicans that have tried to look thru rose colored glasses and deny that the bailouts were Bush's idea...

But what is interesting is that now that the Republican primary is all but over-and he doesn't have to parade around as a conservative--- Romney's handlers are trying to make him more electable by giving him credit for the Bailouts- and making him more of a moderate- and hope he can get a couple of the working mans votes..

Next we will hear him coming out with some type of amnesty law or Illegals Holiday- to try and get a couple of minority folks to vote for him too... :wink: :lol:

Chrysler files for bankruptcy protection 4/30/2009

WASHINGTON — After months of living on government loans, Chrysler finally succumbed to bankruptcy

Chrysler said it will close all its plants starting Monday and they will stay closed until the company comes out of bankruptcy. At least three Detroit-area factories sent workers home Thursday after suppliers stopped shipping parts over fears they would not be paid.

GM bankruptcy:After years of losses, the troubled automaker is forced into bankruptcy.

GM is set to close a dozen facilities and cut more than 20,000 jobs.

In the end, even $19.4 billion in federal help wasn't enough to keep the nation's largest automaker out of bankruptcy. The government will pour another $30 billion into GM to fund operations during its reorganization.[/b]

while liberals claim bailouts saved GM and Chrysler, the fact is they didn't..( the bankruptcy laws that allowed them to not pay billions in debt saved them)...

Oldtimer said:
I've never argued the fact- they were the Bush Bailouts to try and keep the nation afloat after the Bush Bust...The ideas of spending all that taxpayer dollars came out of the Bush administration- altho if I remember right Geithner and his crew were involved too... Obama agreed with them and implemented them...Its Republicans that have tried to look thru rose colored glasses and deny that the bailouts were Bush's idea...

But what is interesting is that now that the Republican primary is all but over-and he doesn't have to parade around as a conservative--- Romney's handlers are trying to make him more electable by giving him credit for the Bailouts- and making him more of a moderate- and hope he can get a couple of the working mans votes..

Next we will hear him coming out with some type of amnesty law or Illegals Holiday- to try and get a couple of minority folks to vote for him too... :wink: :lol:

Yep they are making Romney more electable just Like Obama taking credit for saving GM after he IMPLEMENTED BUSH'S PLAN, killing Osama after BUSH GATHERED THE INTELL, and the up tick in Oil Production because of PERMITS ISSUED BY BUSH, is the Dems way of making Obama ELECTABLE right Oldtimer.

Why aren't the Dems using OBAMACARE to make OBAMA more electable Oldtimer OH YEA I REMEMBER a majority of voters don't like that Signature OBAMA bill do they OLDTIMER. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GM's ALIVE OSAMA"S DEAD wasn't that what Biden said the bumper sticker should say. :?

Oh how could I forget Obama ended the War in Iraq by carrying out the withdraw plans that BUSH SIGNED. But hey why give credit where credit is do when you can make yourself look MORE ELECTABLE. right Oldtimer :roll:

Steve said:

WASHINGTON — After months of living on government loans, Chrysler finally succumbed to bankruptcy

Chrysler said it will close all its plants starting Monday and they will stay closed until the company comes out of bankruptcy. At least three Detroit-area factories sent workers home Thursday after suppliers stopped shipping parts over fears they would not be paid.

GM bankruptcy:After years of losses, the troubled automaker is forced into bankruptcy.

In the end, even $19.4 billion in federal help wasn't enough to keep the nation's largest automaker out of bankruptcy. The government will pour another $30 billion into GM to fund operations during its reorganization.[/b]

while liberals claim bailouts saved GM and Chrysler, the fact is they didn't..( the bankruptcy laws that allowed them to not pay billions in debt saved them)...

Bankruptcy gee where did we here that before Oh yea

Tam said:
Steve said:

"The fact that the auto companies today are profitable is because they've shed costs," Fehrnstrom said. "The reason they shed those costs and have got their employee labor contracts less expensive is because they went through that managed bankruptcy process. It is exactly what Mitt Romney told them to do." [/b]

In the end, even $19.4 billion in federal help wasn't enough to keep the nation's largest automaker out of bankruptcy. The government will pour another $30 billion into GM to fund operations during its reorganization.
And that was part of the bailout program that allowed them to do a "managed bankruptcy" that every rightwingernut on this site was screaming about the government getting involved in private business..
And now we have a Romney aide fighting to give Romney credit for it :roll: :???:

I think as the election goes on (and probably his only hope to win) is that he will throw more of the rightwinger ideas under the bus and move mid road....Flip Flop - Flip Flop-- but to give him credit, he can see moving to the center is the only chance he has of winning if he can really convince folks that is where he wants to be...

But I see where the Tea Party folks are now calling themselves Tea Party 2.0 (updated for 2012 election)-- and are not even worrying about the Presidential election because there are so many of their folks that won't back Romney...So instead are concentrating on the Senate races....

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Steve said:

"The fact that the auto companies today are profitable is because they've shed costs," Fehrnstrom said. "The reason they shed those costs and have got their employee labor contracts less expensive is because they went through that managed bankruptcy process. It is exactly what Mitt Romney told them to do." [/b]

In the end, even $19.4 billion in federal help wasn't enough to keep the nation's largest automaker out of bankruptcy. The government will pour another $30 billion into GM to fund operations during its reorganization.
And that was part of the bailout program that allowed them to do a "managed bankruptcy" that every rightwingernut on this site was screaming about the government getting involved in private business..
And now we have a Romney aide fighting to give Romney credit for it :roll: :???:

I think as the election goes on (and probably his only hope to win) is that he will throw more of the rightwinger ideas under the bus and move mid road....Flip Flop - Flip Flop-- but to give him credit, he can see moving to the center is the only chance he has of winning if he can really convince folks that is where he wants to be...

But I see where the Tea Party folks are now calling themselves Tea Party 2.0 (updated for 2012 election)-- and are not even worrying about the Presidential election because there are so many of their folks that won't back Romney...So instead are concentrating on the Senate races....

So what you are saying is that GM going Bankrupt was part of the BUSH bailout plan. So why is it again Obama is taking full credit for keeping GM alive when according to you it was the BUSH BAILOUTS? Either way Obama is taking credit for a plan HE NEVER MADE as he only implemented the plan BUSH HANDED OVER TO HIM. Just like the plan BUSH handed to him when it came to ending the Iraq War something else Obama is taking credit for. Come on tell us what Obama has accomplished ON HIS OWN that would warrent another four years Oldtimer. THINK HARD. :wink:

Tam said:
Come on tell us what Obama has accomplished ON HIS OWN that would warrent another four years Oldtimer. THINK HARD. :wink:

There ain't never been and never will be enough whiskey on the planet for that amount of thinking, Miss Tam. :shock: But I'm sure Old Whiskey Breath will give it a try..... :roll:

Oldtimer said:

The organization that ignited the tea party as a national mass movement gave Mitt Romney perhaps his biggest victory yet, deciding to drop its opposition to his candidacy, a top executive in the group told The Washington Times.

FreedomWorks, which organized the Sept. 12, 2009, mass demonstration on the Mall, says that while it will not give an explicit endorsement, the time has come for Republicans to unite around the former Massachusetts governor and focus on defeating President Obama.

"It is a statistical fact that the numbers favor Mitt Romney," FreedomWorks Vice President Russ Walker told The Times on Tuesday. "We are dedicated to defeating Obama and electing a conservative Senate that will help Romney repeal Obamacare and address the nation's economic and spending challenges."

They are concentrating on the Senate as the Republicans have the House and will need to get rid of Reid if they ever want any kind of vote to get through the Senate. ANd why are they doing that Oldtimer? So they can give Romney the power to repeal Obama's signature failure Obamacare. Sounds like a great plan to me. :wink:

But I see where the Tea Party folks are now calling themselves Tea Party 2.0 (updated for 2012 election)-- and are not even worrying about the Presidential election because there are so many of their folks that won't back Romney...

while some are still not happy with Romney.. many are downright disappointed in Obama

BTW,... Every word from every meeting from nearly every person who is actually associated with the TEA Party is "Fight in the primary, Unite in the General"

BTW,.. most corporate bankruptcies are managed..

they went bankrupt despite the federal bailout.. they could have saved the time money and effort and just went bankrupt..

The point is not that they were bailed out, it's HOW they were bailed out. (With Taxpayer Money.)

Had it not been for the GMAC divergence into mortgage financing under Chris Dodd's & barney Frank's leadership, and the UAW grip on the company, they likely would have been solvent.

The only reason for the GM bailout with taxpayer's money was to keep Obama's friends (UAW) happy. The task force in charge of the GM bailout had one objective only and that was to give the UAW the best deal available. What most would call a scandal, Ed Shultz says it's an awesome economic turnaround. Here's where I'd tend to differ with Shultz; I'd say the GM bailout was Obama fulfilling his promises to one of his big bundlers in 2008 with our money.

In 2008 alone, the UAW gave $4,161,567 to the Democratic Party, including Barack Obama. In return, the UAW received 55 percent of Chrysler and 17.5 percent of GM, plus billions of dollars. by Paul Roderick Gregory, FORBES February 2012

But Obama did not "save" Detroit. A bankruptcy that followed the rule of law would have "saved" Detroit better than Obama's, which left GM under the federal government's diktat, unable to borrow, and with high labor costs. Obama's favoritism towards the UAW "elevated costs in a way that damage prospects for a successful reorganization." Obama's corrupt bailout will lead to higher prices for the middle class, crippled job growth in the auto industry, and more manufacturing jobs exported abroad. by Paul Roderick Gregory, FORBES February 2012

Steve said:
But I see where the Tea Party folks are now calling themselves Tea Party 2.0 (updated for 2012 election)-- and are not even worrying about the Presidential election because there are so many of their folks that won't back Romney...

while some are still not happy with Romney.. many are downright disappointed in Obama

BTW,... Every word from every meeting from nearly every person who is actually associated with the TEA Party is "Fight in the primary, Unite in the General"

Be interesting to see if they will come out to support Romney... Locally I still have not seen any ads, news articles, community highlights announcements for a Tea Party meeting...

The closest I saw was on FB where one of my staunch Republican friends daughters was bemoaning the fact she attended the annual Republican Lincoln Day dinner- and she was the only "under 40" person there out of about 50 attendees...

Good for her, glad she went, that just reaffirms my faith in today's youth, unlike an ex sheriff who in on his knees for the bam bam, sucking up hoping he gets a glance :D :D :D

Oldtimer said:
Steve said:

Be interesting to see if they will come out to support Romney... Locally I still have not seen any ads, news articles, community highlights announcements for a Tea Party meeting...

The closest I saw was on FB where one of my staunch Republican friends daughters was bemoaning the fact she attended the annual Republican Lincoln Day dinner- and she was the only "under 40" person there out of about 50 attendees...

Maybe you should look closer, ((or be sober when you look))

http://www.bozemanteaparty.com/

http://www.montanateapartycoalition.com/

Montana tea party groups have meetings year-round, not just on Tax day. Get Involved! Join one or start one today!

:roll: :roll: :roll: nothing going on with the Mt Tea party !!

EH :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

have another :drink:

Oldtimer said:
Steve said:

last I saw better than 70% of independents have a negative view of obama. I guess it just leaves you democrats.

Oldtimer I asked you why Obama is taking total credit for something that even you said was something started under the Bush Administration? Since you evidently don't want to answer that, maybe you can answer these questions.
1. Since what Obama truly inherited was a plan to get out of the mess the Democrat had a very big part in making, Why do you defend his taking all the credit? Facts are Bush and his guys wrote up the plans good bad or in between, all Obama did was IMPEMENTED BUSH'S PLANS. Biden's bump sticker doesn't say WE IMPLEMENTED BUSH'S PLAN it says GM IS ALIVE. Don't the voters deserve to know the truth?
2. Again What Obama truly inherited was the intell gathering system that BUSH put in place. From that intel system he inherited the information they gathered about Osama's whereabouts through WATER BOARDING TERRORISTS. After they had that intell the Military came up with a plan to go in an get the guy. The Navy Seals took those plans and implemented them. When Obama Implement Bush's Plans he took total credit, so why if fair is fair in the Obama Aministration didn't the Navy Seals get TOTAL CREDIT for killing OSAMA? Again the Bumper Stick is to say OSAMA IS DEAD, Why doesn't it say THE NAVY SEALS KILLED OSAMA?
3. And this is a repeat question that you and all Dems seem to be having difficulty answering. What has Obama done, all on his own, that has turned out a success, that he can run his election on?

Let's save you some time and brain cells,

1. Don't say US Oil Production is up as we all know that is coming from Private and State lands that Obama has nothing to do with and what is on Federal land is a result of permits issued under Bush not Obama!!!!

2. Don't use unemployment is down as when Obama took office the rate was about 7% and it is over 8% now after he spent a trillion dollars. Add to that the FACT the US work force is smaller now than when Obama took office as millions have stopped looking for work and dropped off the over 8% unemployment rolls. If they were still looking that rate would according to reports be OVER 12%.

3. You could probably give Obama credit for gas comsumption being down but is that smart when we know it is down due to gas prices are at historical highs so people can't afford to drive their cars and Obama's policies are to blame. ( Don't even try excusing Obama on the price of gas IF Bush was blamed in 2008 then Obama in the same office with the same power should have to take the same blame as his gas prices are higher)
Now that those Dem Talking Points are off the table what do you have? I'm Waiting :drink: :wink:

Latest posts