• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Backwards Calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ezeranch

Reaction score
We had to pull a calf two nights ago that was coming out tail end first. We managed to get the legs straightened out and got him pulled with no problems. This calf was huge. He weighs close to 100lbs. Took him a while to finally get up and get to nursing but he seems to be doing fine. The only problem I see is one of his front legs is a little crooked (seems to be straightening out though) and the way he walks on his back legs just don't look right. I was watching him this morning and it looks as though the problem may be in his hips. Is it possible that while pulling him we pulled a hip out? Not sure what we should do. He is very wobbly on the back legs and isn't really walking right. This is the first time we have had a calf come out backwards.

ezeranch said:
We had to pull a calf two nights ago that was coming out tail end first. We managed to get the legs straightened out and got him pulled with no problems. This calf was huge. He weighs close to 100lbs. Took him a while to finally get up and get to nursing but he seems to be doing fine. The only problem I see is one of his front legs is a little crooked (seems to be straightening out though) and the way he walks on his back legs just don't look right. I was watching him this morning and it looks as though the problem may be in his hips. Is it possible that while pulling him we pulled a hip out? Not sure what we should do. He is very wobbly on the back legs and isn't really walking right. This is the first time we have had a calf come out backwards.

Only answer to your question that I know of would be to have your vet take a Radiograph (X-Ray) of the hip joint to see if it's out of place.

Usually only $40-$50 here. Of course you'll have to take the calf in.

I believe the rear legs actually have a ball & socket joint, unlike the front legs that are attached my tendons & ligaments only, and it's possible for it to be out of place.

At least you saved the cow, which would have been the case if you hadn't acted !

I don't think there is much more you can do for him, Just give him time and hope for the best. Those breach calves can be a real challenge, If you got him out alive and breathing on his own you did a pretty good job. sometimes when you pull a calf in the normal presentation and the hips lock you get a calf that has nerves strained and they might walk like a jack rabbit for a few days but they come out of it. something like this may have happened to this calf.

Latest posts