• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Balers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Reaction score
Haven't heard anything about them for a while on here. How is everyone that got a new vermeer getting along with them? Get all the bugs worked out? I think I'm going to need to get a new baler for next year. Really like the 7090 new holland I have but far from impressed with their new 560 from what kind of bales I see them making on people that already have one. Plus it looks like they cheapened them up even more than what they were already. Looked at a vermeer cornstalk special at husker harvest days. That thing looks like a tank. Really heavy pickup had an auto lube grease gun on it and looked more simple than the new holland on the net. Probably won't ever bale corn stalks with it but would sure be glad if I never had to replace so many damn pickup teeth. Lot better monitor with 3 bale shape sensor and moisture built in. Plus can get with real time bale weight. Probably have to demo one out here.

I ran a RB 460 this summer. That thing will out bale a Br baler 2:1. BUT they changed some things on how the net feeds and other odds and ends that gave me some issues. It's going back to the dealer before long to get some updates taken care of. I like the baler but the BR makes a better bale. No Vermeer dealer around so no yellow balers to speak of here.

I simply can't imagine a better machine than the 605n Vermeer. I guess time will tell the tale for sure but from what I've seen so far I'm more than impressed.

Silver said:
I simply can't imagine a better machine than the 605n Vermeer. I guess time will tell the tale for sure but from what I've seen so far I'm more than impressed.

I sure like mine, cranked the pressure up to the top of the green after a break in period and it makes popping good bales now. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:

I sure like mine, cranked the pressure up to the top of the green after a break in period and it makes popping good bales now. :D

Same here, it made quite a difference. Everything on these balers is built heavy, I like that. I also really like the monitor, it's pretty slick you can enter all your fields separately and have it keep track that way. Its a lot easier to decipher than the tally book :cboy:

Silver did you ever have any trouble with your 313 cutter feeding? I went into some 7-8' tall sudan that was irrigated and that thing would not feed at all. Plug up push a pile then a wad would go through. The nh rep was no help. Ended up putting crop lifters on the turtles and that helped a lot. Slowed crimpers down to slower speed. Still wasn't satisfied so plugged it on purpose one day to try to find out the problem. It was spitting a wad out then not much then big wad. Very uneven windrow. Ended up there is to big of a gap between the bed of the cutter and bottom of the conditioner and stalks would poke through that gap creating a little wall where the crimper couldn't grab it until had enough pressure then giant wad would go through. About $5 worth of flat iron and 30 min welding closed that gap to about 1/2" and was running 8.5 mph ever since. Cut some 11' tall forage sorghum that speed and never missed a beat. Crazy how something so easy to finally fix can make a person was to start that thing on fire!!!

Denny said:
I just poke along with my late 80's 855 nh.

Denny, you have the patience of a saint, I am greying now and sure I would pull all my hair out if I had to back to dealing with all those chains, those floor chains drove me crazy with the wear strips we added oak between them to hold the bale up on ours. But that was long ago and I was a young dumb kid, it was also plumb wore out! :D

New JD 569 that showed up here while I was in the hospital is a dream to run. It has twine or net wrap at the push of a button. 1400 bales through it, both hay and haylage and not one plug. The old 535 is still making nice bales too.

3 M L & C said:
Silver did you ever have any trouble with your 313 cutter feeding?

Never had a problem at all, mind you I certainly didn't cut any crop anything like you faced. If I am ever fortunate enough to tie into a crop like that I will keep your experience in mind.

I would highly recommend a vermeer I have a SUPER M with 13000 bales been great. The pickup teath are still going strong unlike a new holland.
How are you doing for hay Big Muddy sound like it was a tough year.

cows101 said:
I would highly recommend a vermeer I have a SUPER M with 13000 bales been great. The pickup teath are still going strong unlike a new holland.
How are you doing for hay Big Muddy sound like it was a tough year.

Hoping to get buy, got some carry over that will work for the cows and some new hay for the calves. Thinking of selling a load of strs.

Sandhills boy said:
Denny said:
I just poke along with my late 80's 855 nh.

Denny, you have the patience of a saint, I am greying now and sure I would pull all my hair out if I had to back to dealing with all those chains, those floor chains drove me crazy with the wear strips we added oak between them to hold the bale up on ours. But that was long ago and I was a young dumb kid, it was also plumb wore out! :D

Mine has a drum to turn the bale no floor chains. If you've never ran anything better you don't know what your missing or so I keep telling myself.

You are right there, and one thing about it, at the end of the day it makes money cause it is paid for. If it burns down tomorrow you don't have 40,000 in a baler. Never seen the drum did you add that or is it factory? That would be a major plus on those. They are pretty reliable bale, they were a real thing in their day. Have a good day! :)

Sandhills boy said:
You are right there, and one thing about it, at the end of the day it makes money cause it is paid for. If it burns down tomorrow you don't have 40,000 in a baler. Never seen the drum did you add that or is it factory? That would be a major plus on those. They are pretty reliable bale, they were a real thing in their day. Have a good day! :)

Mine are 855 balers both have the drum one is rubber coated the other has 1/4 x 1" flats welded on it to help the bale start. I bought that one home and ran a bead of weld across each one and made them rough welds that helped the starting of a bale. We stuffed a 187 bales thru ours one day this summer which is a good day for the equipment. I paid $600 for one and baled about 1400 bales that summer that one has a single twine tube hydraulic it's slow. I bought the other for $500 but have put about $2300 in it in the past 3 years new main chain and had the monitor gone thru. I've baled over 4000 bales with that one so far it has auto tie bale command and twin twine arms works plenty good for me I only put up about 1400 to 1600 bales per year.You should see my antique corn chopping equipment.

We had a tractor fire 3 weeks ago 1976 7060 Allis Chalmers insurance totaled it but it wasn't that bad ended up with $6000 and the tractor we put 2 days and $1600 in parts in it fixed it right on the field it burnt on and were chopping corn with it now. I've got more time than money that's for sure.

Brad S said:
I didn't know 855 had a monitor. I think the drum bottom was a later model 855?

Some even had net wrap. I could have bought that one for $3750 but when its -30f I'll just stay in the cab and feed hay sisal twine makes that possible.

Net wrap really speeds up baling but if you're getting 150 bales a day, that's pretty good. In wet areas where you really need wrap to shed water, that wrap gets iced down and stubborn to pull. There was a study in Missouri (high rainfall) showing if you twine wrap 4" apart you get close to conserving hay like net Wrap.

Denny said:
Brad S said:
I didn't know 855 had a monitor. I think the drum bottom was a later model 855?

Some even had net wrap. I could have bought that one for $3750 but when its -30f I'll just stay in the cab and feed hay sisal twine makes that possible.

I was wrong we had 851 that might be why never seen that before, had Jds ever since we junked that one. I have a 567 now and traded off my old 566 for if and give them 6000 used jd credit no interest for 3 years so it was easy yes. And I only had 12000 in the 566 I put a lot of bales through that one it was needing a lot of work, on head and bearings. My 567(used 12000 bales serviced by them every year) has high moisture kit, net, wide tires, moisture monitor, and meg head and teeth. Lot of things the 566 did not have and its net wrapper had been redesigned and could no longer get the rubber for the rollers and mine were getting in bad shape so it was cheaper to trade than buy the wrapper. I do custom stuff for the neighbors and they want net. It does save a lot of time and fuel, but it does cost to get it. I figure it saves at least one day of baling every 4-5 days for me.

Latest posts