• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Banding calves at birth?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

To the people here who say that vaccinations right after birth are probably useless - would that, in your opinion, include a shot of simple C&D? Also useless until the calf is a few weeks old?

caljane said:
To the people here who say that vaccinations right after birth are probably useless - would that, in your opinion, include a shot of simple C&D? Also useless until the calf is a few weeks old?

If what is discussed is true, then that would mean any shots given at birth or before 2-3 weeks of age are useless. But each to there own if something works at your place do it and if not don't. It almost gets to the point where guys in my area have more vaccine in a new born then colostrum.

Bar M said:
caljane said:

If what is discussed is true, then that would mean any shots given at birth or before 2-3 weeks of age are useless. But each to there own if something works at your place do it and if not don't. It almost gets to the point where guys in my area have more vaccine in a new born then colostrum.

I agree. And it's the colostrum quality and quantity that is the most important for a healthy immune
system in a baby calf. Get that cow nutritionally sound and you'll
find you have way less sickness because the colostrum is enhanced and thus....less vaccines are needed.
The better the immune system the better the vaccines work. They have to have something to be able to 'jump start' if they do get sick. In most cases, if you have to doctor something more than once, their
immune system has been compromised.

I'm glad you guys here all can band. Buying calves that are "steers" will give you an education and make you realize some people have no idea how to band. In several areas in the lower 48 buyers pay more for knife cut. Background and buy some calves and you will learn why.

Faster horses said:
Bar M said:
caljane said:

I agree. And it's the colostrum quality and quantity that is the most important for a healthy immune
system in a baby calf. Get that cow nutritionally sound and you'll
find you have way less sickness because the colostrum is enhanced and thus....less vaccines are needed.
The better the immune system the better the vaccines work. They have to have something to be able to 'jump start' if they do get sick. In most cases, if you have to doctor something more than once, their
immune system has been compromised.

Just to add to that FH, along with colostrum quality and quantity equally important is timeliness. Within six hours after birth, the ability of the gut to absorb antibodies decreases by one-third. By 24 hours, the gut can absorb only about 10 % of what it originally could have absorbed at birth. Also, at 24 hours of age, digestive enzymes break down and digest all of the antibodies.

Latest posts