• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Barbwire unroller ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Stretch

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good way to unroll barb wire. I would like to use the 4 whlr and a trailer to unroll 2-3 rolls at a time or a person pulled one roll cart of some sort for the tough spots. I have tried several methods like the rod and two person carry, the plate across the back of the box and several wires at once. No matter what I try it just doesn't work like I would like it to........ :roll: :wink:

I made a little 2 wheeled cart with 3 rods sticking up side by side. I set an old wore out disc over each rod for the bard wire roll to sit on. It works pretty good. You shouldn't really ever need to string more than 3 wires at a time unless youre building a 5 wire fence or something.

Years ago, I bought a deal for a dollar at a farm sale, that worked very well for unrolling four spools of barbed wire. It was made from 2" x 12" lumber, and contained five boards about four feet long. Each board was standing on end, just the same distance apart as a spool of wire. The boards were their own runners, and the contraption was pulled on the ground. About ten inches in from the backside of the lumber, a hole about an inch and a half in diameter was drilled through all five parallel boards. A one-inch pipe went through all the boards, with pins on each side to keep the pipe from falling out. This allowed four spools of barbed wire to all be unrolled at the same time, as the sled-like contraption was dragged along on the ground. Bracing made from boards across the top kept the affair held together. Outside of being a bit cumbersome to haul around, the outfit worked like a charm.

I pull the spinners off my bale roller and put a rod thru , with some spacers between the rolls of wire it works very well.

I've done the same as SHORTSTUFF, although I don't pull the rollers off. I just put a bar across the unroller in front of the rollers and put a disc blade on the ends so the wire doesn't catch on them. For a single roll, I just stick the bar in the cargo rack on the 4 wheeler with the disc blade on the inside to keep the wire from rubbing against the 4 wheeler.

jigs
come on Stretch, just hire it done!

Thats a heck of an idea but sad to say the banker is plum sick of seeing me......... :shock: :lol: How bout I just call them and get it done and have them send ya the bill..........?? :lol: All jokes aside how much are they getting down your way for fencing these days? Wow by the looks of the rain guage I will have plenty of time to think this unroller over, had about 2.55 in the last 10 days. 8)

I know a crew that will put it in for $1.35 a foot. when you are pressed for time, and no other options, that is pretty cheap!

Dear Lord :shock: ,
I read that as "barbwire underwear" I really think I need a nap! LOL

Judith said:
Dear Lord :shock: ,
I read that as "barbwire underwear" I really think I need a nap! LOL

Judith, I would REALLY like to see your movie collection.......

Silver said:
I made a little 2 wheeled cart with 3 rods sticking up side by side. I set an old wore out disc over each rod for the bard wire roll to sit on. It works pretty good. You shouldn't really ever need to string more than 3 wires at a time unless youre building a 5 wire fence or something.
i built one simlar to this but i added a coiled spring on top to add a little drag to it so the wire would not end up in coils and put a kink in it, you know what happens when you get a kink in it and don't see it as you strech that way when i get to the end i feel pretty confident i can tighten it up with no problems.
i can pull it behind my atv, tractor, truck or mule.

Here is the first unroller I came up with.

Wireunroller2.jpg

Wireunroller1.jpg

It hooks to the trailer with a reciever hitch that I welded to the axle of the trailer so it is real easy to put on and take off. I want to build a second one that is flat like a board and has 3 pipes sticking up so it can handle either two rolls one on each side or just one by itself in the middle. Also want to build a couple boxes on the underside of the trailer so I can store some of my tools and supplies in them along with four removable pegs to hold the rolls on the front of the trailer. The added weight will help with the balance and I will also have enough wire to do a 1/4 of a mile. I also like the idea of being able to carry some of the steel post I need. I know the rig seems small but it fits the terrain I will be building fence on very well. Thanks for all the input I can use all the help I can get.... :D

Latest posts