• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

bear spray

Help Support Ranchers.net:

peacecountry

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using pepper spray as an emergecy while taging a calf with a waspy moma cow .I know a beutiful bc rancher who has a good story about it. But she is shy. Trieing to get her on the board.

peacecountry said:
Has anyone tried using pepper spray as an emergecy while taging a calf with a waspy moma cow .I know a beutiful bc rancher who has a good story about it. But she is shy. Trieing to get her on the board.

We want to hear the story. If she is too shy to tell it, you could tell it for her. :wink: :)

My experience with that stuff is you better make sure you're upwind of your target. It will sure take your breath away.

Thank you mr. peacecountry - I am finally on
YES we did try bear spray with a crazed(and i mean CRAZED) momma last year. My husband and I were quite a ways from her (6-8) feet when we started to sprayed her. Her calf was downwind from her as well as us. We ere far enough away not to feel any bear spray directly on us. The cow backed right off and shook her head and we were able to chase her out of the corral gate without her calf. WORKS GREAT!! We then processed the 2 day old calf with my husband holding the calf and me tagging and giving shots. WE let the calf go and thought it was a success. I tried to look up at my husband face but i had to sneeze and instantly had a runny nose. When i saw his face i sawthe redness in his eyes and tears. We started to laugh then we started to say OMG its starting to sting. We went directly to the house and jumoed into the shower together as we couldn;t wait another second to get rid of the sting. AHHAHHHAHHH - the water made it unbearable for about 30 seconds and then it started to wash off....... so maybe not such a great idea. I think we picked up the bear spray off the calf when we were processing it...... so that the story
special note- the cow took her calf to the trees and we didn;t see her for 2 days. I was worried about her but she was very leary of us and raised a great calf and was sold in the fall..... :D thanks again peacecountry - your a great friend and rancher...

That's a pretty good story! :D
Welcome to the board, nice to see another northerner on here, even if you are from the wrong side of the river :wink:

If thats what it takes to get the wife in the shower with us we all would like a case of it.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Denny said:
If thats what it takes to get the wife in the shower with us we all would like a case of it.

And don't we always have pictures to verify the stories. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And in the middle of the day besides. :shock: Welcome BC Cowgirl.

Great story with what sounds like a very, very happy ending!! :wink: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Welcome aboard BC cowgirl! And don't worry about what some say - there ain't no wrong side of the river out your way!

Finaly you did it what about the rest of the story. You made your self sound calm you left out the part where you phoned and left a messsssssage on my ansering macheine. :mad: :mad: .Its okay the ranchers understand.

Saw the subject line and it reminded me of this
bear_sign.jpg
[/url][/img]

BC Cowgirl has just put up the greatest 1st post of all time! :D It should be made into a poem by Baxter Black!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I am in tears and my stomach hurts from laughing my guts out! That was great! Welcome to ranchers! Please keep checking in every chance ya get! :D I know the reason we all got a kick out of it is while I have never tried bear spray, we all have had run overs with mother cows. :wink:

thanks for welcoming me and i am glad I (or should I say WE) gave you lots to be amused with
I did leave out some of the finer details BEFORE the incident, MR. peacecountry had been adamant that we try the bear spray as he never has crazed mommas and he needed us to try it first ... then after it happenned I called and left a message on his phone - went something like this
"AS far as your small brained idea of bear spray - it doesn;t work. We are in pain from the stuff and it really really stings (sniff sniff)!!! Yes we got the calf tagged but I am very very uncomfortable and cannot stand another second of this....ahh chooo.... don't give us another one of your ideas to try ever again" :mad:

But really thinking of the usage of the bear spray = in terms getting a cow off you or your family for safety - I would use it again as it does make the cow stand off...

Latest posts