• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BEEF Imports- UP

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

12/27/2007 4:41:00 PM

US Beef Imports: YTD Up; Australia Largest Supplier

During October, U.S. beef and veal imports totaled 73,501 MT. Although this was 7.0 percent more than the previous month, it was 4.2 percent less than October 2006. More specifically, fresh, chilled beef imports totaled 26,159 MT, which was down a little from the previous month and was down 11.6 percent from October 2006. Frozen beef imports totaled 38,243 MT, which was 13.5 percent higher than the previous month but was 4.0 percent lower than October 2006. U.S. beef imports from Australia during October rose 26.8 percent over the previous month to 27,565 MT. Total year-to-date beef imports from Australia were 2.2 percent more than last year, amounting to 249,610 MT. Australia was the largest supplier of beef to the U.S. with 28.9 percent of the total.

During October, the U.S. imported 21,176 MT of beef from Canada, which was down 2.0 percent from the previous month. Year-to-date beef imports from Canada equaled 233,900 MT, 4.2 percent less than last year. During October, the U.S. imported 6,409 MT of beef from New Zealand. This was 2.9 percent less than the previous month. Total year-to-date beef imports from New Zealand were 7.3 percent below a year ago, amounting to 152,448 MT. Beef imports from Uruguay during October fell 24.5 percent from September to 5,308 MT. Year-to-date imports from Uruguay totaled 109,177 MT, 28.1 percent greater than last year. Overall, U.S. total year-to-date beef and veal imports reached 864,512 MT, 2.3 percent above the same period a year ago.

US Beef Imports - YTD (MT)
Australia 249,610
Canada 233,900
New Zealand 152,448
Uruguay 109,177
Brazil 59,166
Central America 29,101
Mexico 15,663
Argentina 13,891
Other 1,556

Total 864,512

Overall, U.S. total year-to-date beef and veal imports reached 864,512 MT, 2.3 percent above the same period a year ago.

US Beef Imports - YTD (MT)
Australia 249,610
Canada 233,900
New Zealand 152,448
Uruguay 109,177
Brazil 59,166
Central America 29,101
Mexico 15,663
Argentina 13,891
Other 1,556

Total 864,512
Thank God !
COOL will be here Sept.30 2008

Those countrys will need a audit trail back to each animals farm

From Cattle Network

US Beef Exports: October Up 31%; Mexico Largest Buyer

12/27/2007 4:18:00 PM

US Beef Exports: October Up 31%; Mexico Largest Buyer

Recently, the USDA Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) published October 2007 U.S. red meat export and import numbers. According to the data, U.S. exports of beef and veal cuts and beef variety meats during October totaled 76,758 MT. This was 14.6 percent higher than the previous month and was 31.7 percent higher than October 2006. Specifically, exports of fresh, chilled product equaled 30,941 MT, 15.0 percent more than the previous month and 25.7 percent more than October 2006. Frozen beef exports equaled 10,744 MT. This was 9.0 percent lower than the previous month but was 87.7 percent higher than October 2006. U.S. beef variety meat exports during October climbed 23.8 percent over September and 25.5 percent over October 2006. Total year-to-date beef variety meat exports were 9.1 percent greater than a year ago, amounting to 253,889 MT.

During October, beef exports to Mexico equaled 35,810 MT, 32.0 percent more than the previous month. Year-to-date exports to Mexico totaled 298,406 MT, which was down 2.1 percent from last year. Mexico was the largest buyer of U.S. beef with 46.7 percent of the total exports. U.S. beef exports to Canada during October rose 11.2 percent over the previous month to 13,150 MT. Total year-to-date exports to Canada were 34.1 percent above a year ago, amounting to 106,349 MT. Total year-to-date beef exports to Japan reached 39,770 MT, 372.5 percent more than a year ago. Overall, U.S. total year-to-date beef and veal and beef variety meat exports were 19.2 percent above the corresponding period a year ago, amounting to 639,613 MT.

US Beef Exports - YTD (MT)
Mexico 298,406
Canada 106,349
Eqypt 72,634
Others 71,566
Japan 39,770
Korea, Rep. 25,054
Taiwan 17,902
Hong Kong 7,784
Russian Fed. 148

Source: AMS/USDA, Des Moines, IA, Ami Dittmer

Yanuck said:
Canada 106,349

Source: AMS/USDA, Des Moines, IA, Ami Dittmer

OMG. To think of the increased bse infection risk we are taking by importing beef from such a herd. An no tracability on top of that... well... except for OT's infallible hot brands..... :wink:
Actually that sounds like enough beef to severely depress our markets up here. We better slam that border shut. It's a safety issue. Or was that a money issue?? Sandhusker, where are you, I need some clarification. Is it a safety issue on Mon, Wed, and Fri and a money issue the rest of the week or the other way around???!?!?! I can never get it right... :roll:

Don, I don't pretend to know a lick about Canada's Constitution, why do you pretend you know anything about ours? I've drawn you a picture the best I could, you must share the same bloodlines as Tim.

Silver, I have REPEATEDLY asked Canucks to explain how importing your older cattle wouldn't spread BSE via the holes in our feed ban, and you all suddenly get strangely quiet. Question was the only one who took the challenge, and his arguement was that I had to prove you had BSE! Now, if you think you have an explaination, you have the floor. Let's hear it, Silver.

who cares about your feedban? not americans or you'd be campaigning to tighten it up. if american regulations are sufficient to protect american consumers from homegrown american bse why wouldn't those same safeguards protect american consumers from any canadian cow that might slip through your rigorous testing program? and no i'm not related to tim. but you're right we've both got you figured out. i've read the part of the american constitution that deals with trade and treaties and it doesn't seem like you have too many constitutional lawyers agreeing with you so i guess i'll just have to watch you climbing the stairs to the us supreme court on your own. good luck with that and have a good 2008.

Sandhusker said:
Don, I don't pretend to know a lick about Canada's Constitution, why do you pretend you know anything about ours? I've drawn you a picture the best I could, you must share the same bloodlines as Tim.

Silver, I have REPEATEDLY asked Canucks to explain how importing your older cattle wouldn't spread BSE via the holes in our feed ban, and you all suddenly get strangely quiet. Question was the only one who took the challenge, and his arguement was that I had to prove you had BSE! Now, if you think you have an explaination, you have the floor. Let's hear it, Silver.

Simple question Sadhusker:

What have you done to try and get the holes in your feed ban closed?
You so quickly and conveninetly like to use that as an excuse to close the border but it is getting old. Most people who have a flat tire try and fix the damn thing instead of standing at the side of the road crying and whinig because everyone is passing them by.

Seeing how Don's response is "who cares" and Bill just asks another question instead of addressing the question, I think it's safe to assume that they both know the final rule will permit the spreading of BSE down here. You guys can't deny the rule will spread disease, but you ridicule those that are speaking up against it. I guess your checkbooks are what matters the most, eh?

Oh, and Bill, I've written to both Congressmen and talked to my Representative, Adrian Smith, via letter and personal phone call all about the border issues and our feed ban. What have you done?

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

You so quickly and conveninetly like to use that as an excuse to close the border but it is getting old. Most people who have a flat tire try and fix the damn thing instead of standing at the side of the road crying and whinig because everyone is passing them by.

Bill--R-CALF and a dozen consumers groups and the independent panel of scientists that MacDonalds put together all have been screaming for FDA to close the loopholes....But FDA is even more corporate controlled than the USDA- and even after they did close some of the loopholes- at the wishes of the AMI, Packers, Rendering/Dogfood/poultry/Dairy industry they dropped these and haven't made another move...Right now one of the key issues in the border suit filed in SD is that the FDA's feedban is not capable of protecting of the US cattle herd/producer/consumer with all its loopholes from the spread of the disease if we allow imports from higher risk countries under the USDA rules....

Since USDA/FDA/Corporate interests are telling the public/politicians that they are totally safe--it may take people dying before you will get them changed....Altho- both USDA and FDA have lost a great deal of credibility with Congress/Public in their handling of all the worlds tainted products- along with the domestic recalls- so things are slowly changing...

No worries Sandhusker, BSE magically disappears when OTM cattle cross the 49th. We have been shipping cows south for years and the USA seems to be impervious to this type of the disease.

i didn't say who cares, i'm just asking if americans are protected from american bse (or are you still in a state of denial?) how would canadian cows be any threat because they will be slaughtered under the same or stricter regulations than american otm's? my checkbook has already been hit, r-calf won't push for responsibility for american cattle because it's their checkbooks you're worried about.

Sandhusker said:
Seeing how Don's response is "who cares" and Bill just asks another question instead of addressing the question, I think it's safe to assume that they both know the final rule will permit the spreading of BSE down here. You guys can't deny the rule will spread disease, but you ridicule those that are speaking up against it. I guess your checkbooks are what matters the most, eh?

Oh, and Bill, I've written to both Congressmen and talked to my Representative, Adrian Smith, via letter and personal phone call all about the border issues and our feed ban. What have you done?

We all knew you would start by spinning on this question. :roll: Funny how the BORDER ISSUES are once again mentioned ahead of THE FEED BAN in your last sentence. ..........NOT!

Of course there is the potential for Canadian cattle to enter the US and spread BSE just as there is the risk of Washington, Texas or Alabama cattle spreading BSE through the rest of the US. In fact some will argue that it is LESS risk from Canadian cattle going south than the bull$*^& we have seen for the past few years with the US lieing/hiding and avoiding the announcement of its first BSE case as well as the laughable notion and growing denial that there are no further native cases in the US. IF what you R-Klowns say is true and that Canada is rampant with BSE and it has been infesting your herd for years and IF you have truly had an open and thorough BSE testing program then WHERE ARE YOUR CASES? Which way will you spin that one for your own benefit? :roll:

You like to throw around the feed ban loopholes whenever it is useful to your arguement but it is always the Canadian border that is mentioned ahead of any real concern over BSE in the US. That sure makes it seem that the staus quo US feed ban is quite fine to y'all if only that damn border would close again. To be able to use that as a crutch in order to argue for border closure is more important to you than the change and cost required to close the loopholes you so weakly denounce. You have had years to match the standards imposed on Canadian producers and the huge resulting costs we have also incurred but there was hardly a peep out of you as long as the border remained closed. Where was the great outcry about the US feedban when the Texas and Alabama cases were finally admitted to? Where were the calls that the US match Canada's enhanced feed ban and the extra costs associated with it? Only when serious discussion began over allowing OTMs back into the US did we start to hear noise about THE BORDER and THE LOOPHOLES.

Get out of your padded Banker's chair and from behind the monitor where you find sanctuary and see if you can send a letter or email or make a post denouncing the US feed ban loopholes without ONCE mentioning the Canadian border. :roll: But then that obviously isn't your agenda.

Big Muddy rancher said:
No worries Sandhusker, BSE magically disappears when OTM cattle cross the 49th. We have been shipping cows south for years and the USA seems to be impervious to this type of the disease.

You guys need to find an arguement and stay with it. Your Mrs. claims BSE has to be rampant down here and you say we've been trading for years and what one has the other has to have as well. That means it has to be rampant up there, too. Is it? Do you and Tam talk? Maybe you had better sit down and get your stories straight.

Then the excuse is that it was just one feedmill, one mixing bin that didn't get cleaned out, etc.... If that is the case, the cross border trade would suggest that we didn't have much of a problem down here - you know, we've got to have the same.

For the past few years there has been plenty comments from you and yours about the holes in our feed ban. (Altought you folks don't seem to mention that much since the USDA came up with the final rule....strange :roll: ) R-CALF points that out to a judge and the jeering picks up again even though R-CALF is agreeing with you!

So again, pick a story and stick with it. Will our feed ban stop the spread of BSE or not? If it will, what changed since the last time you ridiculed it? If not, why do you ridicule R-CALF and the other plaintiffs who are trying to point out your very observations to the courts? Do you want BSE to spread down here?

So which is it? Do you really have any solid opinion or does it change depending on what the last quote from R-CALF or a R-CALF member was?
Do you have a big problem or not? Is the history of cross-border trade an indicator or not? Can we stop it here or not?

Bill, "Get out of your padded Banker's chair and from behind the monitor where you find sanctuary and see if you can send a letter or email or make a post denouncing the US feed ban loopholes without ONCE mentioning the Canadian border. :roll: But then that obviously isn't your agenda"

So you know that I haven't done exactly as you've "suggested" in any of my letters/email/conversations the last few years?

don said:
i didn't say who cares, i'm just asking if americans are protected from american bse (or are you still in a state of denial?) how would canadian cows be any threat because they will be slaughtered under the same or stricter regulations than american otm's? my checkbook has already been hit, r-calf won't push for responsibility for american cattle because it's their checkbooks you're worried about.

Read OT's post.

Sandhusker said:
Can we stop it here or not?

Not the way we are going we can't...Not shipping it back and forth and around the world....

The politicians/bureaucrats don't care--they'd rather smoke screen it and make it look like they handled it-while collecting their handouts from AMI/NCBA and all the good old boy lobbiests-- knowing full well that it won't all blow up until they are retired/out of office or dead.....Its the M.O. of Congress and the last two administrations anymore...

Sandhusker said:
Bill, "Get out of your padded Banker's chair and from behind the monitor where you find sanctuary and see if you can send a letter or email or make a post denouncing the US feed ban loopholes without ONCE mentioning the Canadian border. :roll: But then that obviously isn't your agenda"

So you know that I haven't done exactly as you've "suggested" in any of my letters/email/conversations the last few years?

Then you must have one on file or in the archives on this site to show us that challenges USDA to close the US feedban loopholes WITHOUT mentioning imports or the Canadian border. There was not one mention of any of your "conversations" in my post so don't try even try to go there with your twisting ways.

A fellow once told me that Bankers and Lawyers were cut from the same cloth and the more posts you make the more it sees appropriate.

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

Bill--R-CALF and a dozen consumers groups and the independent panel of scientists that MacDonalds put together all have been screaming for FDA to close the loopholes....But FDA is even more corporate controlled than the USDA- and even after they did close some of the loopholes- at the wishes of the AMI, Packers, Rendering/Dogfood/poultry/Dairy industry they dropped these and haven't made another move...Right now one of the key issues in the border suit filed in SD is that the FDA's feedban is not capable of protecting of the US cattle herd/producer/consumer with all its loopholes from the spread of the disease if we allow imports from higher risk countries under the USDA rules....

Since USDA/FDA/Corporate interests are telling the public/politicians that they are totally safe--it may take people dying before you will get them changed....Altho- both USDA and FDA have lost a great deal of credibility with Congress/Public in their handling of all the worlds tainted products- along with the domestic recalls- so things are slowly changing...

Feel free to show us a single R-Calf press release which challenges the US feed ban loopholes WITHOUT making mention of CANADA.

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

Then you must have one on file or in the archives on this site to show us that challenges USDA to close the US feedban loopholes WITHOUT mentioning imports or the Canadian border. There was not one mention of any of your "conversations" in my post so don't try even try to go there with your twisting ways.

A fellow once told me that Bankers and Lawyers were cut from the same cloth and the more posts you make the more it sees appropriate.

Who are you that I've got to provide copies of my correspondence with my Senators?

A fellow once told me that some people were just idiots and that the world needed ditch diggers, too.

Latest posts