• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

beef info

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tamarack

Reaction score
I joined BIXS an site that lets you get the grades and weights of your beef on the hook at time of processing. The grades of my shorthorns are 20%select 33%aaa and38%aa with a hot weight of 874# for 2011 calves what is the weight of butcher steers and heifers that the buyers are looking for? we get the info from the ccia tags that we age verify our calves and join bixs and enter there.They also give US grades of y1 to y5.Nice to know the final product that you grow and can use when finding buyers.

I joined that site today after reading your post but can't get any carcass info, the spread sheet comes back blank. Do I have to wait until next year for the results, or do you suppose I'm just doing something wrong? I may just call them tomorrow and see, maybe they just need to dumb it down for me a bit :oops:

Silver, you may need to submit your CCIA and birth info from earlier years (eg: 2010, 2011). It may then take a bit to grab the carcass data. I don't know how far back the data pull goes if you add older tags or if it only gets information from the day the tags are entered forward. I know we had some stuff come back on the site, but it has not been very informative so far. I am hopeful a couple more years of data may help.

RSL said:
Silver, you may need to submit your CCIA and birth info from earlier years (eg: 2010, 2011). It may then take a bit to grab the carcass data. I don't know how far back the data pull goes if you add older tags or if it only gets information from the day the tags are entered forward. I know we had some stuff come back on the site, but it has not been very informative so far. I am hopeful a couple more years of data may help.

Thanks RSL. I did enter tags back to 2010, so hopefully I will get some information back. It's disappointing to hear that the information is not that good. Like you say, hopefully it gets better.

Silver said:
RSL said:

Thanks RSL. I did enter tags back to 2010, so hopefully I will get some information back. It's disappointing to hear that the information is not that good. Like you say, hopefully it gets better.
I think it was OK, but am not sure what happened to our calves after they left the place. We sold directly to a feedlot, but had data from calves killed over the span of several months and in some small groups, lots of calves with no data reported and some with strange data such as gigantic carcass weights, and odd ages. Found it a bit weird as the calves went to the same place/pen/etc. on the same day.

yes i find the info somewhat confusing dont give anything to compare to so dont know if good or bad like the carcass weight of 857lbs is this good or bad. I also had hard time entering individual animals and just got report on range of tags i think it will be ok when all the bugs get worked out and people catch on.

I joined a couple years ago. We've gotten carcass info back on about 20 head of 2010 calves so far. It is interesting, they all graded AA or AAA, although I thought that some of the carcass weights were pretty huge too.

Our calves were all sold through the fall calf sales, so I really have no idea where they were fed at.

I find that it isn't the easiest setup for adding info, but it is easier if you add files rather than individuals. Sometimes the files take forever to load though. And it would be a lot more fun if it was FASTER!

Latest posts