• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bell Ranch Jeff Lane killed in plane crash

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Julie

Reaction score
Sad news in NM this AM...

HARDING COUNTY, N.M. -- State police have released the identities of two people killed in a plane crash in northern New Mexico on Wednesday night.

Jeff Lane, who operated the Bell Ranch in Harding County, and 33-year-old Ryan Hartley died when the small plane went down on State Road 419 between the towns of Mosquero and Trementina.

Family members of the victims told Action 7 News the plane took off from the Bell Ranch at 9 o'clock Wednesday morning and crashed about an hour later. Search crews did not find the wreckage until nearly 6 o'clock Wednesday night.

Investigators from the Federal Aviation Administration will arrive at the scene Thursday morning. The FAA crews will help determine the cause of the crash. .

Wow i am dang sorry to hear about that , I know alot of them fellers at the bell ranch i will have to make some phone calls . Wow thats a hell of a hit thats for sure .

I'll be darned. Heard he was a pretty good feller.

Didn't his dad die in the same way? Or was it a car wreck?

Weren't we talking about the Bell being for sale, on here this spring? :???:

Yeah it is for sale i belive still from what i have heard i cant get ahold of anyone on their phones but i will find out shortly whats goin on i think . Yeah that means probly ole burt ancell with move up to manager .

azcowpuncher said:
Yeah it is for sale i belive still from what i have heard i cant get ahold of anyone on their phones but i will find out shortly whats goin on i think . Yeah that means probly ole burt ancell with move up to manager .

I've read that he is a good hand. He's been in management before, ain't he?

You know i would say a few things about him but there may be someone here that likes him ha ha . I have worked with him when he was in arizona for a short spell and lets just say to be nice i wasnt very impressed with anything he did including the way he treated his wife . They like him over there but he was pretty much born and raised on that place from the way i hear it .

azcowpuncher said:
You know i would say a few things about him but there may be someone here that likes him ha ha . I have worked with him when he was in arizona for a short spell and lets just say to be nice i wasnt very impressed with anything he did including the way he treated his wife . They like him over there but he was pretty much born and raised on that place from the way i hear it .

Well, I guess everybody can't be liked or disliked by everyone, huh? :)

Maybe I read it wrong or the person who wrote about him saw things different. Might not have ever been in a tight spot with him and it's pretty hard to get a good "read" on someone until you see them in a tight spot. :)

Thanks for the honesty. :)

Yeah i mean he is a good guy to have taken them people out and about on the ranch he knows alot about the bell ranch and how they do things and thats about all i will say ha ha . But yeah you never really knwo till ya work with them thats for sure .

Bell_Ranch.jpg

Bell Mountain from the Mule Camp, August 2002.

Glad to have been there.

Godspeed, Jeff and Ryan.

Badlands

Hey folks,
the place crash was during the day on Wed sometime, aprrox 1.5 miles west of Mosquero and south of hwy 419. no exact time established. They were not even thought missing untill early afternoon. I knew them both and good friends with Ryan. He will be missed. He leaves a lovely wife and a 6 y/o son. The Bell has been for sale for some time, and Burt has been the ranch manager for a year or so since Rusty passed away. Jeff's father passed away in a car accident on the Burro hill approx 10 miles west of Mosquero several years ago. God bless gentlemen.

Hey NMHighdessert, welcome to the board, watch out this is a very adictive place. Sounds like you are from my part of the world.

We have heard that services for Jeff are on Tuesday but no word yet on services for Ryan.

Troy

The memorial service for Jeff Lane is tentatively scheduled for 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at the Bell Ranch Hacienda.

A map to the ranch can be located at http://www.thebellranch.com/map.html.

If there are any changes, we will get another email out ASAP.

Cards may be sent to:

The Lane Family
706 Mule Creek Drive
Solano, New Mexico 87746

The family has not made any suggestions in lieu of flowers. Jeff was a staunch support of the Cattle Growers' and the Cattlegrowers Foundation Inc.

Caren Cowan
Executive Director
New Mexico Cattle Growers' Association
505.247.0584 phone
505.842.1766 fax
www.nmagriculture.org website
[email protected] email

the services for Ryan Hartley will be at 10 am on Monday August 20, 2007 on the ranch southwest of Roy NM on the Maddox Road. I have not heard for sure on Jeff yet, I was told Tuesday also but have not confirmed it. thank folk for you thoughts and prayers for the families.

Tthe above announcement for Jeff's service came from the NM Cattlegrowers Office

Such a sad deal for everyone -- and the end of a legendary era for the Bell.

Address for the Harley family is:

The Hartley Family
HCR 73 Box 55
Roy, New Mexico 87743

Had just seen this post about the accident this morning and when I was looking at my old schools's forum later noticed a post about it also. Seems that a fellow Western Kentucky University student who was a women's basketball player had just lost a brother in a plane crash in New Mexico. Sure is a small world. Ryan Hartley's sister played for WKU ( Kristi Hartley).

azcowpuncher said:

Well, I like him, you turd, and I hope that I am around to kick your tires when you pass. I met Jeff over 20 years ago and thought he was a dollar a day cowboy. Most unassuming guy I ever met. Would do anything to make you feel welcomed. Been riding with him many times. Loved his wife and kids, you jealous prick.
Funeral, 2:00 Tuesday, at the hocienda

My dad worked at the Bell's for many, many years and died while still working there in 1999. Jeff Lane was so good to my mom and to my whole family. My mom and my daughter will be at the memorial service at the Hacienda on Tuesday, I wish I could go as well.
My heart just breaks for Jan and the kids..

Latest posts