• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Best Place to run Cow/calf ranch ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hey NR............better check yore mileage........900 miles north of Billings might just put you somewheres around the Arctic circle!!!! :shock: :lol: :wink:
You must have been on a runaway if you clocked that many miles on the way home...................or does the home crew really believe it's that far! :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :wink: :twisted:

Drive it's not much less than that lol. Nobody down there is brave enough to make the trip anyway-if the wolves don't get them the mosquitoes will lol.

Always thought it would be a great place to live NR... Sounds like the land hasn't gotten out of hand up there yet either (Although I am sure it is more expensive than it was 20 years ago).. Now, convincing the wife that it would be a great place to live would be a different story.. I bet you can get some good alone/family time up in that neck of the world.

We've seen enough pics/heard enough stories to know that there's at least a couple kids around there to attest to the 'secluded' environment. :lol:

As for us, not quite as far North as NR, but far enough to have more than 50% of 365 days being covered in snow. Some years you spend November hunting in light boots and a sweater, others you're shivering your @$$ off wishing you'd spent the money on 1000 weight Thinsulate from the Cabela's book, or a set of RavenWear. But those B&C whities and mulies make it all worthwhile.

Would we do it somewhere else if we could start over? Tough to say. I think we may do somethings different, since there's 1000 things I know would make a big difference in HOW we're doing, not so much as WHERE we're doing it.

We've got it great here really. Land is still reasonable. We're buying 1000 acres of pasture from my folks right now for what you would certainly call "Family Pricing". $100/acre, with the understanding that we buy the cropland(875 acres) for something a little closer to market value. When we buy it is up to my folks, but it gives us time to pay off the pasture and build equity. So when you get deals like this and family works together, it's tough to picture wanting to be anywhere else. :wink:

I'll nominate South Alabama. Lush green pastures, cool gulf breezes, raise a cow/calf unit on an acre to acre and half, mild winters, plentiful water most years. Just plain hard to beat. :wink:

Latest posts