• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

big exhaust and chips for diesels

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pups and bucks

Reaction score
Am looking to improve my mpg on my 02 dodge.Does anybody have any experience chipping them and/or putting on larger exhaust?
Maybe this has already been hashed out.......

On my '95 dodge with a a bale deck my exhaust was falling off.
I think the cat converter was already gone but I was able to run a straight 4" pipe from front to back and catch a hanger near the back.

I put a chrome tip to turn the smoke to the ground but you don't see it as it doesn't stick out the back past the bumper.

pups and bucks said:
Am looking to improve my mpg on my 02 dodge.Does anybody have any experience chipping them and/or putting on larger exhaust?
Maybe this has already been hashed out.......

Many diesel forums out there were all you wildest dreams can be answered!

www.dieseltruckresource.com

a dodge site....

Several people recommended that I put an Edge chip on my 07 3500 cummins 5.9 24V. Was hesitant as the truck runs well & certainly had enough power but was looking for better fuel economy. Installed it several months ago & am quite pleased to date.....has added 3-5 mpg overall to my fuel economy. In good conditions I can maintain 30mpg (imperial gal.) @ 70 mph cruise control highway driving.
The chip seems to work best at higher revs (1950 - 2000 plus) & puts out a noticeable power increase. Everything else on the truck is stock....changing air intakes on ranch vehicles is asking for trouble & exhaust changes can wait until needed!

We have chipped and we have not chipped our Dodges. One thing to be sure and do, is add gauges (pilometer) so that you can read the temperature of the turbo. People that haven't done this have had lots of problems down the line. Problems like burning them up.

We are getting a chip (or something similar) on our 2010 next week. That pickup is near perfect except for the fuel mileage. :p We have nephews that are in this type of business...and they are going to take care of our pickup. I'll let you know how that goes. They've done a lot of 'em. They get
the parts out of Utah...this is a touchy subject because it seems the government has stepped in and will fine any garage that changes emission systems. :roll:

Faster horses said:
We have chipped and we have not chipped our Dodges. One thing to be sure and do, is add gauges (pYRometer) so that you can read the temperature of the turbo. People that haven't done this have had lots of problems down the line. Problems like burning them up.

We are getting a chip (or something similar) on our 2010 next week. That pickup is near perfect except for the fuel mileage. :p We have nephews that are in this type of business...and they are going to take care of our pickup. I'll let you know how that goes. They've done a lot of 'em. They get
the parts out of Utah...this is a touchy subject because it seems the government has stepped in and will fine any garage that changes emission systems. :roll:

Pyrometer

I chipped my 99 Dodge but neglected to install bigger pipes. Kept cracking my exhaust manifold. Too much heat.

pups and bucks said:
I'm thinking that I will run her the way it is........

Where is your sense of adventure??? :p :wink:

Lots of people chip their diesels. It's just there is a right way and a wrong way of doing it.

We just talked with a fellow who has a 2009 Ford pickup (bought brand new) and he was getting 14 mpg with it; something happened to the engine right before the warranty expired. He took it in for warranty work and they took all the emission stuff off and chipped it, added gauges to read the temperature. He gets 19-20 mpg now and where they did the work, they will honor the rest of the warranty. And that is at a Ford dealership in SD. He said it has more power, too. He said it did have 2 tailpipes (remember this is a woman posting this) and they went down to one bigger one and that made a big difference.

Good luck!

I put a super chips in my '01 dodge when I was hauling bucking bulls and there is a big difference in pulling power....it really made things come alive. I really notice it on hills.

I have never in my life figured up fuel mileage on anything though.... :shock: ... :D .

Dad put just the chip (Diablo) in his '03, now he averages over 21 miles per US gallon, which is pretty darn good considering you Americans have awful small little gallons down there :shock: :lol: He is always hooked to a 4 horse weekender gooseneck. Power is awesome, almost Ford-like really! :lol: He's paid for that chip several times over now on fuel savings and there have been no ill effects.

I've never seen trucks get the mileage that I have seen quoted on this site. Guess I am not doing anything right....

4Diamond said:
I've never seen trucks get the mileage that I have seen quoted on this site. Guess I am not doing anything right....

In some of the circles I travel in---the first lier ain't got a chance! :lol: :lol:

With my 06 Dodge, according to the computer, I had it up over 25 mpg going to Texas, August 6th. Picked up a 32 foot, livingquarter 6 horse trailer. Never got above 14 according to the computer.
By my pencil, I have never gotten above 23 MPG, but I can live with that driving a 4X4, 3/4 ton!!

Latest posts