• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Big Square Balers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
well, the Big Boss Man has decided to trade off his baler. we are trying to decide between another New Holland and the new style Hesston they are building for this year.

we are going down to Hesston on Tuesday to view the plant and inspect this new machine. I was wondering if any of you have Hesston big squares, and what are the problems you have faced with them... so we can ask at the factory and get a better idea on how to trade.

after this summer of fighting the one baler, I am 100% for the Hesston, but it is not my call. the one I run is a BB960A and is a definite improvement from the BB960 but I just feel the Hesston is an all around better machine.

any input will be very helpful

Jigs, I run a 4755 and love it...Nothing better than a Hesston........We did look at a Claas??? I think that was the name they are a light green... Are you gettting tandon axles?? Let me know what ya got and all the bells and whistles....... Gps??? :wink:

won't go tandem ..... there is zero room to tie off the bottom string.
this new Hesston is supposed to be THE baler. I will try to get pics for ya......

anything you dislike about t your Hesston??

we talked to John Deere's big wigs today about the one they are developing.... said it is real good, but as it sits now, $194,000 to buy it. gonna have to do some re thinking on it, so guys can buy it. he said they are trying to figure out what they can drop off of it to make it affordable.

I told him to drop off $100,000 and then they would be competitive !

but it is not my call.
I understand that you feel that it is not "your call", however YOU are the one doing the work, and TBB should certainly respect your input. I wouldn' t be shy if I were you. Be subtle!

DOC HARRIS

Yes, don't go tandem.... I guess I can't find anything wrong, but yet that's all I've ever run.... I'm thinking a some good looking young guy in a thong to grease it up...... :D :twisted: Have you talked to the guys in Kearney?? Ken is just fabulous for service and repair... He is the best....
Even though we bleed green here, I wouldn't go green..... If I remember correctly it's a Hesston painted green...... Yes pm me pictures, this is right down my alley..

The old deere intermeditate square baler was a Krone.. Folks I knew who ran them liked them but some people are a bit, uhm.... blinded by the green, lol..

Claas makes an interesting machine, the only problem is getting them serviced in most areas but if you have a dealer near bye that wouldn't be a problem. WE almost bought one 4 years ago, went for 20k at an auction and was in real nice shape.. We droped out and the other two drove it to there. CLASS used to be the company that the Cat Lexicon combines were as well, but I guess they are switching to Massey type combine now with the AGCO purchase... At least that is what some guy told me, we don't really deal with combines too much. CLASS does make one heck of a SPFH however... Not in my budget mind you and again, the dealer network is lacking.

No one much uses the real big ones out here, to darn hard to get the hay dry enough is what most are saying with our super high humidities and most of the dairys want the slightly smaller ones... All I know about all the big ones is yikes, they sure are expensive, lol.

DOC HARRIS said:
but it is not my call.
I understand that you feel that it is not "your call", however YOU are the one doing the work, and TBB should certainly respect your input. I wouldn' t be shy if I were you. Be subtle!

DOC HARRIS
I have zero problem giving my opinion! we have a unique arrangement on how the operation works. he has his, I have mine, I work for him, and we trade equipment for wages.....get VERY confusing at tax time. I have all the cows, and now he is getting into dogs..... reminds me daily how dogs out produce cattle. so I remind him I would rather step in cow crap that in dog crap.

I should break off on my own, but I just enjoy working there so much, I can't leave.... although it is getting real old being the only one who knows how to fix anything. as soon as my boys are old enough to be given real responsibility, we are going solo!

Latest posts